Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Raleigh

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

balintgabulya wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 15:00
I think Sainz will get the Redbull seat. RB can keep Gasly in TR, but a Sainz back at TR would be an unhappy Sainz looking for exits for 20/21. RB has also shown how quickly they would switch drivers and would probably include something in Sainz contact to ensure he (and Max) behaves.
Agreed.

Choosing Max over Sainz to replace Kyvat was one thing, if they pass over him for the younger and less experienced Gasly that's it for Sainz getting a Red Bull drive.

I think they will give Sainz a 1 year contract and review the driver lineup in 2019.

zoroastar

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

if alonso is in fact not in the running for redbull or ferrari next year it just shows how dumb f1 is at the moment. the top 3 teams dont have enough competition to sign one of the best drivers in the history of the sport. if ferrari end up losing again this year, with the best car overall, then they are just dumb for not wanting someone like alonso. with him and vettel driving they would have already won the constructors title this year most likely. or close to it.

mwillems

zoroastar wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 22:08
if alonso is in fact not in the running for redbull or ferrari next year it just shows how dumb f1 is at the moment. the top 3 teams dont have enough competition to sign one of the best drivers in the history of the sport. if ferrari end up losing again this year, with the best car overall, then they are just dumb for not wanting someone like alonso. with him and vettel driving they would have already won the constructors title this year most likely. or close to it.
Ferrari aren't dumb, they are keeping the seat warm for leclerc. Mercedes don't need the disruption of two massively stubborn and competitive fighters, of which one actually sabotaged the others championship while already in the same Mclaren team. Whilst Horner has a point about Alonso's "disruption", Verstapen would sh*t his pants, and we don't want the precious baby upset.

So all in all it makes sense. Any team taking Alonso would have to take him as a clear number one, or at least guaranteed equal footing which will upset the other guy. IF he was 26 and not 36 with a long term future, then maybe do it. But for a one or two year contract you would upset the balance of everything and risk losing current and future stars?

And so his ferocious fighting, part of the reason for his talent, is also the main reason he can't just slot into a team. I'm not criticising his fighting attitude at all, but ultimately if he were able to channel his talent without the ego, he'd have been in a better position these last few years. But I like his ego, it's part of what pushes him, and I like the fact that Mclaren look to be his only option because of it :mrgreen:
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Zynerji

zoroastar wrote:
Kimi has like 7 podiums? It would be tough to really see what you are saying as true...

Manoah2u

Let's go cray-z.

Alonso to RedBull @ Spa.
Ricciardo to Renault @ Spa.
Sainz to Mclaren @ Spa.
Stroll to Force India @ Spa.
Ocon to Williams @ Spa.
Kubica in Williams @ Spa.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zoroastar

Zynerji wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 00:12
zoroastar wrote:
Kimi has like 7 podiums? It would be tough to really see what you are saying as true...
they prolly would have had more 1, 2 finishes. alonso could have taken victories where hamilton did this year. its all hypothetical. but having 2 of possibly 3 best drivers in the sport in the fastest car would almost guarantee a constructors title. of course it didnt work out that way for mclaren in 07, but it did a lot in the 80's. and alonso is much older and more experienced than he was in 07.

zoroastar

mwillems wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 22:27
zoroastar wrote:
Ferrari aren't dumb, they are keeping the seat warm for leclerc. Mercedes don't need the disruption of two massively stubborn and competitive fighters, of which one actually sabotaged the others championship while already in the same Mclaren team. Whilst Horner has a point about Alonso's "disruption", Verstapen would sh*t his pants, and we don't want the precious baby upset.

So all in all it makes sense. Any team taking Alonso would have to take him as a clear number one, or at least guaranteed equal footing which will upset the other guy. IF he was 26 and not 36 with a long term future, then maybe do it. But for a one or two year contract you would upset the balance of everything and risk losing current and future stars?

And so his ferocious fighting, part of the reason for his talent, is also the main reason he can't just slot into a team. I'm not criticising his fighting attitude at all, but ultimately if he were able to channel his talent without the ego, he'd have been in a better position these last few years. But I like his ego, it's part of what pushes him, and I like the fact that Mclaren look to be his only option because of it :mrgreen:
thats all fine and good if ferrari win a championship, haha. i understand where you are coming from, but with sergio gone, and ferrari seeming to crumble under pressure this year, just like last, whos to say that they arent losing a grand oppertunity.. who knows, we are a bit off subject anyway. c:

Zynerji

Im rather impressed with Kimi this year.

For his results, I think alot of people talk like he isn't doing very well. He is the oldest guy on the grid, but still putting up great numbers...

diffuser

My problem is with Vettel. He's made too many mistakes. Alonso would make Vettel look RAI.

Zynerji

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 00:51
Let's go cray-z.

Alonso to RedBull @ Spa.
Ricciardo to Renault @ Spa.
Sainz to Mclaren @ Spa.
Stroll to Force India @ Spa.
Ocon to Williams @ Spa.
Kubica in Williams @ Spa.
I can see Ocon@Williams to replace Stroll, but Sirotkin is actually not doing that bad (car considered) to need replaced...

Zynerji

diffuser wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 01:13
My problem is with Vettel. He's made too many mistakes. Alonso would make Vettel look RAI.
That's a big ask, and as I said, RAI has done very well.

ALO had his chance in Red, and only ever finished behind VET... :roll:

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 02:16
diffuser wrote:

Yep..he had hands down the best car all those years and Alonso made it close 3 times when he had no business being there.

Yep he left of his own volition.

zoroastar

Zynerji wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 02:16
diffuser wrote:

or maybe red had their chance with alonso. vettel hasnt gotten the job done as of yet. last year can be put pretty squarely on vettels shoulders after he let his temper get the best of him. there is still some racing left this year though.

i feel for kimi. at least bottas has won some races, but bottas hasnt been sacrificed for his teammate quite as much i dont think.

PlatinumZealot

GPR-A wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 19:08
Motorsport Hungary is reporting that, Stroll to Force India and Ocon to McLaren might happen before Spa!

https://hu.motorsport.com/f1/news/a-bel ... 2/?nrt=54
Alonso has a big announcement to make on August 14!!!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Chuckjr

If Kimi has or is signing for two years, I think the second year is dependent on how well LeClerc does in 2019. If he kills it at Haas, maybe takes a podium or two, he will likely push Kimi into early retirement just as Fred did to Schumacher.
Watching F1 since 1986.