Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sain ... 9/3159148/

Mclaren closing in on Sainz, apparently.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

holeindalip
holeindalip

djos wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 12:21
Perez is gone imo, he's a bit of a diva and choked when given a top level chance back when Maclaren was worth driving for.
tell me your joking right?? you should look up the stats from that year, neck and neck until the break and then Perez killed button in the second half

djos

holeindalip wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 00:13
djos wrote:
Perez is gone imo, he's a bit of a diva and choked when given a top level chance back when Maclaren was worth driving for.
tell me your joking right?? you should look up the stats from that year, neck and neck until the break and then Perez killed button in the second half
He was inconsistent and prone to stupid mistakes, Maclaren were right to drop him.
Last edited by djos on 16 Aug 2018, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

holeindalip
holeindalip

djos wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 00:55
holeindalip wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 00:13
djos wrote:
He was inconsistent and probe to stupid mistakes, Maclaren were right to drop him.
I'll agree to disagree, good day

djos

If you believe the press, his arrogance was his real downfall.

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/1890 ... t-attitude
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

If force India had a better car (more money) they would have a top 3 driver pairing imho.

jz11
jz11

djos wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 02:51
If you believe the press, his arrogance was his real downfall.

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/1890 ... t-attitude
IMHO that is a very subjective matter, you can judge Kimi for instance the same way, he doesn't like interviews, usually looks away when someone is talking to him, which are signs of being introvert, which is not nearly the same as arrogant

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Perez at McLaren was like Verstappen is at RedBull. The difference is that at RedBull, that attitude is seen as a positive by Marko and is allowed to grow. I think we saw in Vettel in the Baku incident, the ultimate result of Marko's cultivation of arrogance. I expect Verstappen to do similar in the future, sadly. Perez has definitely calmed down since the McLaren days, although his behaviour towards Ocon at Spa (basically putting him in the wall) suggests the arrogance is still there.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123
wesley123

ESPImperium wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 22:56
Red Bull-Honda: 33] Verstappen / 10] Gasly
I'm not so certain. Two, potentially, superstars in one team. It's not gonna work out, which means that short term, one or the other has to move on. Red Bull might have more interest in taking a non-red bull driver to support Verstappen.

Unless they don't see GAS or VER as a hotshot anymore.
[Team Silverstone]-Mercedes: 31] Ocon / 18] Stroll [Read Force India] - Seemingly Ocon and Stroll are friends, and one will bring budget and the other will bring a Mercedes saving.
Where else could Ocon go to? He might just place his bets on Williams. They might suck right now, but Ocon would have the chance to build a team around him. Same goes for Perez in that regard.
Mclaren-Renault: 55] Sainz / xx] Norris - Drivers will cost up to two thirds of Alonsos package, so the team will have extra development budget to spare.
I'd say it is more likely Vandoorne will stick around.
Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda: 28] Hartley / xx] TBA - STR will have to look to going to the old well again, id say they will go for Buemi, but his contract with Toyota will say no. Id say Vergne may be brought back.
Red Bull is a bit in a struggle here as from the programme there isn't much around. It'll definitely not be Vergne or Buemi, though. Both of them have very succesful careers outside of F1, and it'd be weird to ditch that for a programme that has essentially --- them over. On the other hand, Hartley did exactly that, so who knows what could happen.
Sauber-Ferrari: 2] Vandoorne / xx] Giovinazzi - Sauber are back up for sale, and the rumour is that they are on the brink of a takeover by Alfa Romeo.
Ericsson would probably stay around.
Williams-Mercedes: 11] Perez / xx] Russell - Russell will save on engine budget from Mercedes and Perez will bring in budget.
From the FI guys, Perez is the most likely. Russell might depend on what Mercedes, and Williams, thinks of a B-team a la Haas. If it happens, Russell seems the logical choice. Otherwise there isn't much of a reason to drop Sirotkin.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

iotar__

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13804 ... eyes-gasly
McL - Sainz
RB - Gasly
A. Shocking development B. The suspense is killing me.

- McLaren & Sainz, a good match =P~ . Spanish so that helps, not Alonso but he talked about Alonso often so association is there. Congratulations to Stoll on another success in driver management. Only a year loan but what a successful one so far. Another change, another set of headlines = success.

Unrelated story about media and Sainz. When Haas had best result last season (?) in Austria (?) Auto/Motorsport didn't write a story about it. They put Sainz's name in headlines instead, although he didn't to anything of value in the race, saying that Haas is a failure :wtf: . That's how you create media stars and a good example of the state of F1 journalism.

Big Tea

wesley123 wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 10:47
ESPImperium wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 22:56
Red Bull-Honda: 33] Verstappen / 10] Gasly
I'm not so certain. Two, potentially, superstars in one team. It's not gonna work out, which means that short term, one or the other has to move on.

It looks obvious that Gasly is of top quality as a driver, but it has not yet been proven.
He is in what has to be considered a minor team without a known quality team mate.
Yes he looks good, but it is based on half of a season in an unknown environment.
By that I mean not on an equal footing reputation wise with another 'star quality' driver

WE can judge by watching that he is good with car control etc, but there is more to being a top F1 driver we cannot watch and make judgment.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Who do we think would be happy driving as probably a 2nd driver in FI next season, lets say Lance will be in that team. It's one thing any driver on the grid being happy to play a support role to Lewis @ Mercedes or Seb @ Ferrari. But Lance @ FI?

I can see Mercedes wanting to favour taking Williams as it's B-team should that situation arise....they're ripe for the picking with Martini and Stroll(most likely) money going next season. Maybe Ocon & Russell line-up in the Williams next season with heavily discounted/free PU & Gearboxes and FI take on Sirotkin. Mercedes don't mind putting their junior drivers in a team at the back of the field, ala Ocon/Wehrlein @ Manor.

As for Toro Rosso, could we see Wehrlein make a return to F1 and take a seat there?

ScottB
ScottB

It's interesting that motorsport.com's article suggests Merc are keen to place Ocon at Mclaren. If true, that would suggest Perez is staying put.

Surprised at that, as I'd have thought the Stroll's would want to be close to Merc, but perhaps Perez and / or his sponsors are quite involved, with the court case and everything, making him hard / difficult / impossible to shift.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ScottB wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 14:33
It's interesting that motorsport.com's article suggests Merc are keen to place Ocon at Mclaren. If true, that would suggest Perez is staying put.

Surprised at that, as I'd have thought the Stroll's would want to be close to Merc, but perhaps Perez and / or his sponsors are quite involved, with the court case and everything, making him hard / difficult / impossible to shift.
I believe so, regarding Perez. It's been reported that his actions actually protected FI and was told to do so by Otmar, the COO. If he leaves FI, I think it would be on his own accord, except Mercedes will also high level involvement going forward. His name has been mentioned with Haas and Sauber as well.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Noemfster_ZA
Noemfster_ZA