2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

alexx_88 wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 12:25
NYGIANTS wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 23:57
Andres125sx wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 17:32
BTW, Ocon should have gone full attack mode at les combes in first lap or not?

He could have took the lead! Or DNF ok, but the opportunity was worth the risk I think, and his conservatism took him 4th, and behind his teammate

OTOH both Lewis and Vettel would have pass him anycase so maybe the risk was not worth, but he gifted Perez his position, and you don´t want to gift your teammate any position, let alone a final 5th

Opinions?
i agree somewhat... and my buddy and i were talking about it yesterday,...in that ocon had nothing to lose late braking into les combes for the potential lead.

But he had everything to lose... He knew it would be impossible to sustain the lead given the pace difference between FI and the top teams, so it would've only been 1-2 glory laps. On the other hand, the risks were huge. Remember that to his left were the two WDC contenders, one of them being in the team that's looking after his F1 career. This could've very easily ended up in tears, for him, for Vettel and Hamilton or any random combination of this bunch. I actually think he did an incredibly mature thing given the circumstances and the pressure he's under while fighting for an F1 seat. Thinking about the bigger picture is a trademark of the very best drivers.
All true, and I agree, but you left one thing out, he did the start the manoeuvre, If he was really only ever thinking about the best possible outcome he could have let go of the gas pedal a bit earlier (eve if he did got a great tow) and just slot in behind Lewis, that would have been the most mature line of action and would have given him P5 instead of P6 at race end. But he did spot an option for glory and he did actually went for it (also a very Ocon like thing to do, he did that in F3 as well) but at the very latest moment he broke it off (which was the correct choice, like per your line of reasoning). He did also defend on Max to the limit (in fact, if it were Max defending like that the "weaving under braking" comments would have been all over the place) whilst Perez took the more sensible approach when Max's RBR approached. I must admit though that I was unsure if the RBR would have been able to pass the Merc engines at all, so from that standpoint I can understand Ocon defending to the limit.He was also the first one up (of the two Force India's) so at that time it was still uncertain if Max could make it stick.

Mandrake

I think when he started the manoevre he had a massive tow and speed overlap. When he pulled out of the doube slipstream he was fully hit by the headwind, slowing down his overspeed. With the corner approaching fast at 340kph he did not find himself able to come fully to the front so his line was compromised to the max.

It was worth an attempt but very wise to back out given how the situation unfolded for him.

alexx_88

That's the thing, when you're in the tow it's hard to tell how much pulling out will affect you. I think he pulled out hoping/thinking that the speed differential would've been enough to put him in the lead by a clear margin, but he pulled out and, in the absolute dream of a scenario, it would've been a glory pass, but it was more likely to end in tears, imo.

Andres125sx

Agree, he tried at first, but then realiced it was too risky. It´s also important to note he was on a very very dirty line, it was not the normal inner line where cars try to pass at les combes, that line was occupied by Vettel and he was further to the right, actually almost on the white line (there was four cars in parallel at that point!), so trying to outbrake the two fastests cars on that dirty line would probably have ended on some carnage

Wise move by Ocon decided on tenths when I did need almost a week to make a decision about if it was wise or not :oops: :lol: =D>

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 15:06
Agree, he tried at first, but then realiced it was too risky. It´s also important to note he was on a very very dirty line, it was not the normal inner line where cars try to pass at les combes, that line was occupied by Vettel and he was further to the right, actually almost on the white line (there was four cars in parallel at that point!), so trying to outbrake the two fastests cars on that dirty line would probably have ended on some carnage

Wise move by Ocon decided on tenths when I did need almost a week to make a decision about if it was wise or not :oops: :lol: =D>
That first lap would have been more "interesting" with Verstappen instead of Ocon. :mrgreen:

Anyway, Occon was cautious, perhaps too much, but I tend to agree that it was the correct move.