Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Mangalhit

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

aral wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 15:10
Discussion about gurney flap on Ferrari has been removed as it is off topic, which is....Mercedes AMG F1 W09 !
It was to compare with the merc and RB wings that were posted here. Still relevant if it's a comparison with the mercedes and its main rivals. I was wondering if the merc also has a guarney flap but i cant see it cause it's the color of the rest of the wing.

But great modding really it was poluting the whole thread with nonsense, this comment is much better. I guess i'll be forever wondering if somebody had answered me and explained me if they also use it or not.

mantikos

wesley123 wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 08:25
aleks_ader wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 08:02
Its but just in case if you have same aerofoil as in in the middle of spoon section.
Definitely not. The chord is much shorter than conventional.

That is the big difference here; Red Bull and Ferrari rear wings have the full chord length. The span:chord ratio on the Mercedes would be much higher, and simplified would create the more efficient wing. Mercedes might also enjoy the effects of DRS more.
Exactly - not sure how anyone can miss that from the comparitive pictures.
The Redbull is flatter but deeper, the Ferrari is deeper, and the Merc is way shallower than both of those - just compare the starting pointof the main plane on the end plates.

RZS10

Were the few tiny changes to small parts the substantial upgrade they were talking about after Spa?

mantikos

RZS10 wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 22:36
Were the few tiny changes to small parts the substantial upgrade they were talking about after Spa?
No one said substantial

zibby43

RZS10 wrote:
We don't know what's beneath the skin, either.

Main issues are low-speed traction and tire management.

tranquility2k4

zibby43 wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 05:59
RZS10 wrote:

It was noted that Merc were better than Ferrari on traction and (obviously) tire management in the race at Monza. I wonder if this is just a coincidence or something they upgraded for this race. I guess we'll find out in Singapore as surely traction is key there?

Big Tea

tranquility2k4 wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 12:10
zibby43 wrote:
RZS10 wrote:

It was noted that Merc were better than Ferrari on traction and (obviously) tire management in the race at Monza. I wonder if this is just a coincidence or something they upgraded for this race. I guess we'll find out in Singapore as surely traction is key there?
I think part of the Ferrari tyre 'problems' was that they had to push hard straight out of the box rather than working them in as they usually do. Kimi in particular had to nail it on new tyres, probably under orders from the team, and Seb had some damage and was working back up the field so passing as soon as possible was his priority rather than tyre life.

Both Mercedes had more time to achieve the target so could save a little for when needed later
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

aral

OK, I know that the Italian GP thread has been closed due to certain unhelpful posts, but discussing damage etc on the specific W09 thread is basically off topic, so a couple of posts have been removed. Please repost any such comment on the race thread when it re-opens.
Thanks

Morteza

Different modifications on Halo
Via @LuisFeF1

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Kevinkirk

Do the battery(s) and ballast need to be fixed in one position or could they be allowed to move front to back with damping under acceleration and braking forces to move the CofG forward or back giving more load over the wheels that need it?

Jolle

Kevinkirk wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 09:33
Do the battery(s) and ballast need to be fixed in one position or could they be allowed to move front to back with damping under acceleration and braking forces to move the CofG forward or back giving more load over the wheels that need it?
They need to be very very fixed.

F1Krof

tranquility2k4 wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 12:10
zibby43 wrote:
RZS10 wrote:

Noted by whom? I don't remember anyone saying that Merc's having better traction than Ferrari on Monza. Besides, I can't imagine just a week earlier in SPA Toto specifically said that their weakness is not the power alone, it was the traction that they were losing a lot of time, and all this to be fixed in just a week. I don't think so.

I believe circumstances were such that it might have seem like Merc's had the better package, but I doubt it.
Wroom wroom

GrandAxe

Mercedes did have better traction (and tyre management) than Ferrari at Monza. It was obvious during the race and I'm sure I've seen an article or two that mentioned it since then (can't recall by who unfortunately).

In Q3, the drastic turn around in their performance in sectors where they were meant to be poor was really suspicious, it was like they'd been sandbagging.

In the race, their ability to keep up with Ferrari points to two possibilities; the first, that they've might have caught up in the engine race and the second, that their aero (and/or suspension?) upgrade has given them more speed.
Whatever the case, Mercs ability to follow closely points to a possible revision of aero strategy away from a car that's optimised to drive away at the front to one that can do a close chase without understeering and destroying its tyres.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1Krof

GrandAxe wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 16:39
Mercedes did have better traction (and tyre management) than Ferrari at Monza. It was obvious during the race and I'm sure I've seen an article or two that mentioned it since then (can't recall by who unfortunately).

In Q3, the drastic turn around in their performance in sectors where they were meant to be poor was really suspicious, it was like they'd been sandbagging.

In the race, their ability to keep up with Ferrari points to two possibilities; the first, that they've might have caught up in the engine race and the second, that their aero (and/or suspension?) upgrade has given them more speed.
Whatever the case, Mercs ability to follow closely points to a possible revision of aero strategy away from a car that's optimised to drive away at the front to one that can do a close chase without understeering and destroying its tyres.
And all this assumption based on just a (freakishly unique) race, with Vettel out of the race on lap 1. Oh, what do you make of Bottas not being able to pass a Red Bull on a most power hungry track? Did his car have the supposedly 'suspicious' performance.

My belief is that nothing's changed. Monza just being a unique track that's all. Next week today we'll be probably talking about how poorly the Merc's handle the tires and how their rake philosophy is all poor and all that. Cheers.
Wroom wroom