Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

I don't understand why they're showing these images of what are entirely exercises in styling over function. Unless the FIA is going to turn F1 in to a single make series, the "concepts" are just evidence of old men trying to appeal to young people. "Oh look, swoopy stuff, lovely, yes?". Er, no, cartoon styling is not what F1 needs.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

astracrazy

Concept images are all well and good. But the cars will only look how they intend if they a) have a single car formula designed to there spec or b) over restrictive regulations. Apart from that it will just be regulation boxes and the teams do as they like in those areas.

Id much more prefer them not worry too much about the look, which all this exercise seems to be about, and more worry about the aero elements which will actually work for better racing i.e floor design.

Id take basic looking car but they actually race well because all the r and d was put into the aero. They seem to think people worry more about how the cars look, when in reality people adapt (take the halo, im used to it now but hated it at first)

AMG.Tzan

Can't understand how indycar made such a great job both in retro styling and better racing in just a few months and Formula 1 can't! They don't want to embrace full on ground effect with minimal wings! That's the way to go...at least Indycar did it! Simpler smaller wings...bigger diffuser!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

jjn9128

astracrazy wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 13:39
Concept images are all well and good. But the cars will only look how they intend if they a) have a single car formula designed to there spec or b) over restrictive regulations. Apart from that it will just be regulation boxes and the teams do as they like in those areas.

Id much more prefer them not worry too much about the look, which all this exercise seems to be about, and more worry about the aero elements which will actually work for better racing i.e floor design.

Id take basic looking car but they actually race well because all the r and d was put into the aero. They seem to think people worry more about how the cars look, when in reality people adapt (take the halo, im used to it now but hated it at first)
Concept 1 is the only version which looks like it might be enforceable as an aero package. I'm not sure the halo in these concepts is a better safety device than the one we have - especially for head-on debris.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

AMG.Tzan wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 14:00
Can't understand how indycar made such a great job both in retro styling and better racing in just a few months and Formula 1 can't! They don't want to embrace full on ground effect with minimal wings! That's the way to go...at least Indycar did it! Simpler smaller wings...bigger diffuser!
Minimal wings??? Have you actually seen the wings on an Indycar???? I've said it before (based on evidence) a big rear wing is better for a following car than underbody aero.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

djos

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 14:03
AMG.Tzan wrote:
Minimal wings??? Have you actually seen the wings on an Indycar???? I've said it before (based on evidence) a big rear wing is better for a following car than underbody aero.
The racing in the late 90's Champ Car series would strongly suggest otherwise.

I get the impression you are likely in your 20's? If so you missed out on some of the best single seat racing seasons in the history of motor racing imo.
"In downforce we trust"

KeiKo403

not to mention some of the concept art work is so old that is still bears the old F1 logo......

wesley123

jjn9128 wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:
I agree. Many spec racing series use large rear wings, the close example is F2
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan

djos wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 14:11
jjn9128 wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:

I get the impression you are likely in your 20's? If so you missed out on some of the best single seat racing seasons in the history of motor racing imo.
This looks like a big rear wing to me...

Oh, and asking his age is irrelevant - look at the user's technical input in to the forum, especially the link to his PhD thesis where he assessed this very subject.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wpsiatwin

jjn9128 wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:
https://www.sae.org/publications/techni ... 5-01-1539/

A good paper to read if anyone is interested in reading more about the underbody aero v rear wing and the effect it has on a following car.

jjn9128

A15013950 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 15:17
jjn9128 wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:

A good paper to read if anyone is interested in reading more about the underbody aero v rear wing and the effect it has on a following car.
Cheers that's on of mine :D
#aerogandalf

KeiKo403

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 15:36
A15013950 wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

@jjn9128 - did you use a rough representation of an F1 car or was you able to source actual F1 car data for your model?

Also - seeing a sample of what you wrote but understanding none of it leads me wanting to ask some really simple crazy questions....if you don't mind? :)

Just interested to know the difference in effect of the wake off the back of a current Williams vs a Red Bull/Mercedes? Performance on track looks huge difference, especially in qualifying but would there be a difference in the 'wake profile', or whatever it's official technical name is?

Going forward into 2021 the areo regs could be written to allow closer racing (reduce wake/turbulent air), could team still add bodywork with little effect on their performance but drastically reduce the chance the follow closely for the car behind?

I've always wondered if regs could be written to say the air behind the car must become 'neutral' after 8 (or x)meters?

AMG.Tzan

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 14:52
djos wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 14:11
jjn9128 wrote:

This looks like a big rear wing to me...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... n_Hall.jpg

Oh, and asking his age is irrelevant - look at the user's technical input in to the forum, especially the link to his PhD thesis where he assessed this very subject.
Yeah these wings are big but look how simple they are...i am talking more of the 1978-1982 Formula 1 ground effect era where teams didn't even run front wings sometimes! I am refering to Venturi tunnels with skirts and not just big diffusers.

And well yeah i am in my 20s but guess what...i am wathcing 90-00s racing both from Indycar/CART and Formula 1 every single day instead of watching movies or series :oops: Thankfully the internet has saved us from losing such great racing!! =D>
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

wpsiatwin

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 15:36
A15013950 wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

Ok well that’s awkward haha. I think that all of the F1 media should read that before blindly saying “go back to ground effect for better racing” and also maybe find out what ground effect actually means.