Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

wunderkind wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 17:45
Raleigh wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 20:25
Ocon and Russel would be a fantastic line-up for Williams, unfortunately the team needs money, Sirotkin has $15m a year sponsorship and Mazepin is eyeing an F1 seat with enough backing that his father was competing with Lawrence Stroll to buy out Force India.

I can see Toto being able to swing one seat, but two is very unlikely.
I think Toto and Mercedes should pay Williams to take on both Ocon and Russell. But I do understand having four drivers on the grid will be a major distraction for Toto. I'm sure Ocon and Russell are mature enough, but I think Niki can play a bigger role in coaching Ocon and Russell like Jochen Neerpasch or Jochen Mass did for Schumacher/Wendlinger/Frentzen.
If Niki will return to the paddock of course after his latest health battle...

The first priority is getting Ocon a seat in F1 with a friendly team for Mercedes I think, Williams seems to be an obvious choice and good for the grid. Then Ocon can replace Bottas the year after and Ocon is in a good position if or when Hamilton retires (from Mercedes). Russel can then take the open spot at Williams and possibly move up for the vacant seat at Mercedes in 2021 or somewhere.

I know it looks bad for Ocon and Wehrlein hasn't been the best example, but so far, Mercedes likes to put their own talent in their cars, don't forget, when they joined F1 all the way back in 94 or something, the first thing they did was to put Wendlinger in the Sauber and at their return in 2010 there were three old Mercedes juniors at the team (Heidfeld, Rosberg en Schumacher) and Hamilton is from their program as well. I remember when Alberts was part of their program and one of the consultancy jobs I had was with one of his sponsors from the junior classes. When he became second in DTM and he got an offer to drive F1, Haug sat him down: if you stay with Mercedes we'll make sure you'll get a good career, with a good possibility of F1, if you leave now, we're done.

Mercedes looks further away then next season, Ocon has to be patient. His time will come for sure.

alexx_88

Gutted for Ocon, especially if you judge this in the context of his interview for Beyond the Grid. Long story short, his family had to make huge sacrifices to keep him racing (sell house and move in a caravan type), then when he was F3 champion he didn't have a seat until very very late in the winter break. With this in mind, he said now he's the most relaxed he's ever been in his career, knowing (foolishly in hindsight) that F1 is about meritocracy and, as long as he performs, he won't be overlooked.

Wasn't that impressed with Wehrlein tbh and Russel can have a season as a test driver. I still can't understand why they can't get Ocon in the Williams and who's so desperate that they'd take Stroll's.

PlatinumZealot

HE should have found some french backers. You can't be too complacent in this time in formula 1. See Checo Perez, a proactive sort of driver.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

alexx_88

Checo is the first Mexican driver since how long? Ocon is just another French driver (for now). We, fans, know he's great, but for the average Jacques, until he wins a title or at least a few wins, he's just a Grosjean. From the same interview, they do come across as simple people, not the business-type, so probably that, coupled with the first point, makes it that much harder to get sponsorship.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 20:09
wunderkind wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 17:45
Raleigh wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 20:25
Ocon and Russel would be a fantastic line-up for Williams, unfortunately the team needs money, Sirotkin has $15m a year sponsorship and Mazepin is eyeing an F1 seat with enough backing that his father was competing with Lawrence Stroll to buy out Force India.

I can see Toto being able to swing one seat, but two is very unlikely.
I think Toto and Mercedes should pay Williams to take on both Ocon and Russell. But I do understand having four drivers on the grid will be a major distraction for Toto. I'm sure Ocon and Russell are mature enough, but I think Niki can play a bigger role in coaching Ocon and Russell like Jochen Neerpasch or Jochen Mass did for Schumacher/Wendlinger/Frentzen.
If Niki will return to the paddock of course after his latest health battle...

The first priority is getting Ocon a seat in F1 with a friendly team for Mercedes I think, Williams seems to be an obvious choice and good for the grid. Then Ocon can replace Bottas the year after and Ocon is in a good position if or when Hamilton retires (from Mercedes). Russel can then take the open spot at Williams and possibly move up for the vacant seat at Mercedes in 2021 or somewhere.

I know it looks bad for Ocon and Wehrlein hasn't been the best example, but so far, Mercedes likes to put their own talent in their cars, don't forget, when they joined F1 all the way back in 94 or something, the first thing they did was to put Wendlinger in the Sauber and at their return in 2010 there were three old Mercedes juniors at the team (Heidfeld, Rosberg en Schumacher) and Hamilton is from their program as well. I remember when Alberts was part of their program and one of the consultancy jobs I had was with one of his sponsors from the junior classes. When he became second in DTM and he got an offer to drive F1, Haug sat him down: if you stay with Mercedes we'll make sure you'll get a good career, with a good possibility of F1, if you leave now, we're done.

Mercedes looks further away then next season, Ocon has to be patient. His time will come for sure.
TBH, If it were my choice at Mercedes I would not replace Bottas with any one. He is doing the perfect job for the team. The team is in it to win championships, not look after drivers, so I am doubtful we will see either Ocon or Russel in the team while Bottas still wants the job
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Phil

I wouldnt be sure either Ocon or Russel would be better than Bottas either. As long as they dont drive the same car, who’s to know for sure?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Ground Effect

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 20:53
HE should have found some french backers. You can't be too complacent in this time in formula 1. See Checo Perez, a proactive sort of driver.
There was no French Grand Prix for about a decade, getting French backers would have been a very hard task, as they don't seem keen on the sport. Even Total pulled out recently, before that, Elf did the same in the late 90's.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Jolle

Phil wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 23:08
I wouldnt be sure either Ocon or Russel would be better than Bottas either. As long as they dont drive the same car, who’s to know for sure?
The Mercedes management I guess. Sim data and data from tests and the team they are driving for. Besides that, maybe more then their current performance, their learning curve is most important anyway. How fast are they going to be in an x amount of time.

djos

Jolle wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 00:41
Phil wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 23:08
The Mercedes management I guess. Sim data and data from tests and the team they are driving for. Besides that, maybe more then their current performance, their learning curve is most important anyway. How fast are they going to be in an x amount of time.

The nicest thing you can say about Bottas is he's solid, even when compared to other "number 2" drivers he's just lacking. Look at drivers like Webber and Rosberg, the former almost won a WDC and had some very memorable wins. The latter actually won a WDC and again had some very memorable races.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Bottas just seems to lack that fire that made Webber and Rosberg so interesting to watch, even when they were being beaten by their team mates, they didn't give up and fought hard.

Mercedes should give the second seat to Ocon so they have a genuine successor for Hamilton when he retires.
"In downforce we trust"

PlatinumZealot

Just have to wait till whenever Mercedes drops Bottas...
OR.. when Hamilton moves to Ferrari.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

Rosberg was never a number 2 ?!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

djos

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 09:11
Rosberg was never a number 2 ?!
From a talent perspective, both were number 2 drivers despite not being in true support roles, like say Rubens was at Ferrari for Shuey.
"In downforce we trust"

NathanOlder

Whats a true support role , letting your team mate win when you deserve the win ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

djos

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 09:19
Whats a true support role , letting your team mate win when you deserve the win ?
Did you not watch the Shuey era at Ferrari? The FIA even banned team orders after one notorious incident (with Massa iirc).
"In downforce we trust"

NathanOlder

djos wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 09:37
NathanOlder wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 09:19
Whats a true supporta role , letting your team mate win when you deserve the win ?
Did you not watch the Shuey era at Ferrari? The FIA even banned team orders after one notorious incident (with Massa iirc).
I read your post as if you were saying Rubens wasnt in a true support role , so my reply was a little sarcastic, my bad. :?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.