2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jackles-UK

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

They’ve brought updates to pretty much every race but that’s the thing, they are usually just updates to existing parts rather than upgrades. There hasn’t really been anything in the way of major upgrades introduced since Spain, just little tweaks and adjustments (diffuser gurneys, FW flaps, floor slots and the like) to try and unlock the mystery of what has happened to the pace those parts were meant to provide.

diffuser

I don't see the point in this conversation. He's gone.

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 21:37
RonDennis wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 19:11
Ground Effect wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 16:36

Sky said he's doing developmental stuff, maybe with an eye on the race after Singapore?
He's probably doing work for Norris. Vandoorne is the new test driver for McLaren.
I just read an article with quotes from Verstappen, saying Stoffel never had a chance against Fernando. He talked about Fernando getting newer parts and expressing surprise that a big team like Mclaren couldn't provide for both drivers. What I'm not clear about is the frequency of these alleged newer parts. How often, in 2018 were the cars not similar with Fernando getting the newer bits. From my understanding, there hasn't been much of in terms of upgrades after Barcelona, as has been reported, or have Mclaren been regularly bringing new bits this year?
Not sure where you're getting this from. Verstappen only said Stoffel isn't in contention for the Torro Roso seat and Vandoorne was being sarcastic when answering a Facebook question about unfair treatment in terms of new parts.

Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 10:38
Ground Effect wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

He's probably doing work for Norris. Vandoorne is the new test driver for McLaren.
I just read an article with quotes from Verstappen, saying Stoffel never had a chance against Fernando. He talked about Fernando getting newer parts and expressing surprise that a big team like Mclaren couldn't provide for both drivers. What I'm not clear about is the frequency of these alleged newer parts. How often, in 2018 were the cars not similar with Fernando getting the newer bits. From my understanding, there hasn't been much of in terms of upgrades after Barcelona, as has been reported, or have Mclaren been regularly bringing new bits this year?
Not sure where you're getting this from. Verstappen only said Stoffel isn't in contention for the Torro Roso seat and Vandoorne was being sarcastic when answering a Facebook question about unfair treatment in terms of new parts.
The quotes are from Max

http://f1i.com/news/317001-vandoorne-no ... appen.html
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 10:45
M840TR wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

The quotes are from Max

Sounds like BS to me given even Vandoorne himself denied it.

charliesmithhd

Renault adopting redbull style badge boards. Surely we will see something like this from McLaren soon.

Ground Effect

charliesmithhd wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 12:14
Renault adopting redbull style badge boards. Surely we will see something like this from McLaren soon.
Maybe in 2019.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

McHonda

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 10:45
M840TR wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

The quotes are from Max

There was a period last year in and around the US and Mexico weekends that Stoff didn't have the same parts as Alonso, I think it was 3 races on the bounce so I'm missing one but apart from that (And obviously excluding Fridays when they've ran different configs since the start) they've alternated.

This year I think in Monaco Stoff didn't have the new wing but I've not read anything else and there's only been tweaks here and there since Spain so maybe Alonso is getting the tweaks but I've not seen any difference in the cars come Saturday since Monaco*.

*Austria I think they ended up with different specs because they kept breaking front wings.

Ground Effect

Anybody with speed trap info?

RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 16:36

Sky said he's doing developmental stuff, maybe with an eye on the race after Singapore?
Well he probably received this information from Vandoorne, so I don't know what to make of it. It could also be that they were just comparing parts, since they had problems with correlation. The big upgrade in Spain was available for both cars. Vandoorne is clearly disappointed and is now fighting back with words, maybe he should have done that a bit earlier.

M840TR wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

He certainly wasn't sarcastic.

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 14:17
Anybody with speed trap info?
FP3

Vettel: 185.885 km/h
Hamilton: 184.934 km/h
Ricciardo: 183.763 km/h
Hulkenberg: 181.451 km/h
Gasly: 181.026 km/h
Alonso: 181.806 km/h
Vandoorne: 180.825 km/h

GoranF1

Did Mclaren had any new parts or is this result track specific?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

f1universe

GoranF1 wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 17:09
Alonso said the car is the same as always.

Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
You should be the one telling us.. :D

GoranF1

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 17:44
GoranF1 wrote:
You should be the one telling us.. :D
I have't been following 2018 car development much, i heard problem is in packaging and that 2019 car numbery are world apart better. Of course it means little whitout Alonso on board. As seen in todays qualis, you need driver otherwise you will endup like Ferrari.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."