Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

atanatizante wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 20:06
https://postimages.org/

Seems they copied Ferrari`s split rear brake duct fin ... it`s new for this race?
Good catch! The best thing for comparison I could find is this which is from Hungary, so I guess a new piece
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

jh199

I've just noticed that the flaps on the rear wing (the ones Mercedes have extended and Ferrari just added) look like they are moving air inboard. I had always assumed they promoted flow expansion by pointing outwards but these photos seem to beg to differ. Is there a reason Mercedes (and Ferrari and Mclaren) would want to lower the pressure differential at the back of the endplate? I would think it is to weaken the wingtip vortex but these flaps appear to be too far back for that.
Or is this just some sort of optical illusion I've fallen victim to?
ImageImage

roon

jh199 wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 03:52
Seems like they would reduce boundary layer size and reduce stall in yaw along the inside face of the endplates.

------------------------------------------

Looks like they've got airflow going through the spokes.

https://twitter.com/JennieGow/status/10 ... 2961352705

atanatizante

Could someone do a picture with Lewis` car sitting on that flashing LCD podium? I just saw a new kinda batwing or something similar ... is that new for this race? On Sky he said they didn`t bring any update but it seems that there are at least those slits in the RW endplate ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

subcritical71

apexcontrol wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 18:50
apparently toto wold want 3 mercedes cars, he is putting it on the table next meeting.
so.......they now need 2 wingmans for hamilton ?
One for Verstappen to take out and the other to cover for the rest of the field :wtf:

atanatizante

atanatizante wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 17:54
Could someone do a picture with Lewis` car sitting on that flashing LCD podium? I just saw a new kinda batwing or something similar ... is that new for this race? On Sky he said they didn`t bring any update but it seems that there are at least those slits in the RW endplate ...
I did one but it`s a poor one ...

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

dans79

roon wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 22:39
jh199 wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 03:52
Seems like they would reduce boundary layer size and reduce stall in yaw along the inside face of the endplates.

------------------------------------------

Looks like they've got airflow going through the spokes.

https://twitter.com/JennieGow/status/10 ... 2961352705

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnDk6MwXcAEkOiY.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnDk6NEXgAEA-cc.jpg
I wonder if that could help increase airflow through the rims and us keep the rear tires cooler!
197 104 103 7

nevill3

The extra raised bits on the rim are there to increase the heat sink effect of the rim to help with the management of the rear tyre temperatures according to Ted Kravitz
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

dans79

nevill3 wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 21:43
The extra raised bits on the rim are there to increase the heat sink effect of the rim to help with the management of the rear tyre temperatures according to Ted Kravitz
Yes I know, I was referring to rear wind end plate updates potentially being able to help increase that effect.
197 104 103 7

algebraist

Hello. Just registered after ghosting these forums for the last few years. I've some better quality screen grabs of the Mercedes after the race.

Image Image

Hopefully should give a better idea than the grainier grabs above. The intricacy of the aero on these cars gets bigger with every passing race.

ringo

What is different about the car that made it better at the Singapore circuit?
For Sure!!

simieski

So were the rear wheel heat sinks, on Hamilton's car at least, too effective? He said on team radio a few times in the race that the rears were on the cold side.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Big Tea

simieski wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 10:20
So were the rear wheel heat sinks, on Hamilton's car at least, too effective? He said on team radio a few times in the race that the rears were on the cold side.
Possibly due to him not having to push as much as they anticipated?
They were expecting to have to chase the Ferrari for most of the race
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

zokipirlo

Guys, do you think is possible that Mercedes is doing some strange things with fuel pump. Some hidden liquid inside and injecting with fuel together? It seams strange that they had problem in Austria with that.

wesley123

ringo wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 05:47
What is different about the car that made it better at the Singapore circuit?
The new rims are probably doing a good job. This years car is also very much aimed to fix the issues they had last year.

The fact that Ferrari were pretty bad around here does give a bit of a skewed view, I think.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender