2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 21:45
It would but Sauber and Haas would be under strict orders and probably ruin the show.
FI and Williams on the same. Perez did his best last race.

tpe
tpe

Vettel, again, has only one set of softs. What the...?

dfegan358

Very low tyre degradation here. Ferrari just seem to be going very aggressively with tyre choices.

Obviously didn’t work in Singapore. At the end of the day Ferrari need to find more pace here. Track should suit but Mercedes definitely made strides in tyre management.

Bill_Kar

dfegan358 wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 23:45
Very low tyre degradation here. Ferrari just seem to be going very aggressively with tyre choices.

Obviously didn’t work in Singapore. At the end of the day Ferrari need to find more pace here. Track should suit but Mercedes definitely made strides in tyre management.
Why do you say that track suits Mercedes?

GTO99

O God, I hope it's not another 1 stop race with them trying to prolong tyre life. [-o<

dans79

Bill_Kar wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 01:03
dfegan358 wrote:

It's very low degradation, and as Mark Priestley said in his recent video that means it's hard to get heat in the tires.

As has been widely discussed, Mercedes actually has a problem with overheating their tires this year. They only recently got a handle on their tire temperatures, via changes to the rear rims, and the rear drums. Thus, they might be able to dial in their car, to get heat into their tires quickly and then maintain it!.This would pay dividends during qualifying on the hyper softs.
197 104 103 7

Restomaniac

dans79 wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 02:09
Bill_Kar wrote:
dfegan358 wrote:

It's very low degradation, and as Mark Priestley said in his recent video that means it's hard to get heat in the tires.

As has been widely discussed, Mercedes actually has a problem with overheating their tires this year. They only recently got a handle on their tire temperatures, via changes to the rear rims, and the rear drums. Thus, they might be able to dial in their car, to get heat into their tires quickly and then maintain it!.This would pay dividends during qualifying on the hyper softs.
This ties in with a question that has been bugging me.

The new wheels by Mercedes were an upgrade. As such exactly when did Pirelli see them and how late in the day (or months ahead) did Mercedes have to plan ahead? In other words when exactly were the tyres mounted on the wheels? Bearing in mind that nobody saw the new Mercedes wheels coming IIRC.

godlameroso

GTO99 wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 01:04
O God, I hope it's not another 1 stop race with them trying to prolong tyre life. [-o<
Worse it's not too difficult to keep the rears up to temp but the fronts not so much. Maybe rear blistering or front graining will be an issue? Do you subscribe to the theory that the tires need a few laps to be able to push them without them disintegrating? Would a harder tire allow you to push harder than a softer yet marginally faster tire?

Would a two stop of hypersoft hypersoft and supersoft be feasible?
Saishū kōnā

djos

Restomaniac wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 04:22
dans79 wrote:
Bill_Kar wrote:

The new wheels by Mercedes were an upgrade. As such exactly when did Pirelli see them and how late in the day (or months ahead) did Mercedes have to plan ahead? In other words when exactly were the tyres mounted on the wheels? Bearing in mind that nobody saw the new Mercedes wheels coming IIRC.
As I understand it, the tires usually don't get fitted to the wheels until the race weekend.
"In downforce we trust"

dans79

djos wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 05:08
Restomaniac wrote:
dans79 wrote:

As I understand it, the tires usually don't get fitted to the wheels until the race weekend.
I believe that to be correct, and I also believe the team to do it themselves!
197 104 103 7

saviour stivala

dans79 wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 05:16
djos wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

"i also believe the teams to do it themselves!" the teams do what themselves?

Restomaniac

dans79 wrote:
djos wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Thanks to both of you. This also answers my next question.
In that could a team with special wheels try out a cooling rim and if then it ends up cooling to much, bin them off and go with standard wheels for the rest of the weekend.

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
djos wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

The tyres are mounted by Pirelli. They have a big covered area where they site the mounting machines and the teams bring the rims to them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Sieper wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 22:39
NathanOlder wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 21:45
It would but Sauber and Haas would be under strict orders and probably ruin the show.
FI and Williams on the same. Perez did his best last race.
Perez was doing 100% what he was meant to be doing at that point. Fight anyone who doesn't drive a pink car.

The problem is when a Ferrari approaches a Haas or Sauber, they get out the way pretty damn quick. Force India and Williams still resist a Mercedes. Vettel pretty much has 5 team mates, to Hamilton's 1. So thats what would wreck a battle from the back between Lewis and Seb.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Bill_Kar wrote:
dfegan358 wrote:

He didn't. He said the Track should suit Ferrari , not Merc!

" At the end of the day Ferrari need to find more pace here. Track should suit (Ferrari) but Mercedes definitely made strides in tyre management. "

thats how I read it anyway.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC