Why won't the site remember my login anymore?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
SiLo

Why won't the site remember my login anymore?

A few weeks ago I noticed that I kept having to login to the forum each time I visited. I'm sure there used to the a remember me button and I wouldn't have to login for weeks if I didn't clear my cookies.

I'm on a mac, running latest version of Mojave and version 12.0 of safari.
Felipe Baby!

Steven
Owner

Re: Why won't the site remember my login anymore?

Nothing changed in this respect, so I presume it must be something on your end.
For me, the remembering still works as expected.

Do you have "do not track me" on in your browser?
I know browsers have added this, and beefed this up recently.

During experimentation, sadly, I also found that "do not track" removed the ads on here as well :cry:

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

I have had a similar thing, but only when accessing through safari on my phone. There is a "window" in which the site will remember that I am signed in, which I have found to be around 1-2 hours sometimes, before I will have to manually log back in through the mobile site.

Never had a problem through any sort of desktop web browser, and the issue on my phone is "remember me" box checked agnostic
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Steven
Owner

To remember you after logging in, the site sets 3 cookies: phpbb3_5nomq_k, phpbb3_5nomq_u and phpbb3_5nomq_sid

Typically, these cookies are set with a 1 year validity period (the "remember me" checkbox is no longer visible for a long time now, but is set to true).

However, there are some checks to ensure that sessions cannot be stolen, including IP validation and browser validation.

So, when you've unexpectedly lost your session, ask yourself:
- do you still have the same IP?
- did you upgrade your browser recently?
- did you login from somewhere else in the meantime?

Please let me know your findings. Perhaps one of these settings need adjustements, but then I'd like to know a case where this proves to be needed.

Admittedly, the safari problem is one that has been going on for quite a while, but was never looked into properly.

hollus

I managed to get a partial reproduction of the issue on my iphone. I am on holidays with a horribly spotty 3G/4G connection and logged in automatically every time without problems for days.
Then I activated the “Ask websites not to track me” option in Safari Settings and now I have the issue from Vyssion: it logs me out randomly after a few hours, but mostly logs in automatically.
I’ll keep it on and report more after I get back to my usual Wifi at home.
Rivals, not enemies.