2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Raleigh

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

From what I can find out there is no clear answer without being able to read James Key's contract.

In short, worst case is Red Bull might be able to keep Key to the end of his contract even if that is longer than 6 months, if the contract allows them to assign him to other working duties.

If the contract does not allow them to reassign Key then the maximum nonworking period of gardening leave is 6 months. Alternatively if there is not on a fixed period of employment in the contract then there will be a leave period which could be shorter than 6 months.

If Key breaches gardening leave then both McLaren and Key can be sued for damages.

Finally Red Bull and STR will probably not release Key early as this would be aiding a competitor, even in more friendly associations like Paddy Lowe leaving Mercedes for Williams he would have had to wait 6 months except that his release from contract became part of the negotiations for Valteri Bottas.

Jackles-UK

If Toro Rosso/Red Bull allow one of their most prized backroom staff leave for a rival without kicking up a fuss what will it say the next time it inevitably happens? What if someone comes in for Newey or Waché, they can’t apply one rule for one and one rule for another so they’re sticking to their guns with Key, as is their right.

Vasconia

Raleigh wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 02:38
From what I can find out there is no clear answer without being able to read James Key's contract.

In short, worst case is Red Bull might be able to keep Key to the end of his contract even if that is longer than 6 months, if the contract allows them to assign him to other working duties.

If the contract does not allow them to reassign Key then the maximum nonworking period of gardening leave is 6 months. Alternatively if there is not on a fixed period of employment in the contract then there will be a leave period which could be shorter than 6 months.

If Key breaches gardening leave then both McLaren and Key can be sued for damages.

Finally Red Bull and STR will probably not release Key early as this would be aiding a competitor, even in more friendly associations like Paddy Lowe leaving Mercedes for Williams he would have had to wait 6 months except that his release from contract became part of the negotiations for Valteri Bottas.
So we have no idea about when he Will join McLaren, that´s not good. #-o

Ground Effect

Vasconia wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 09:56
Raleigh wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 02:38

So we have no idea about when he Will join McLaren, that´s not good. #-o
Definitely 2019, when exactly? I'm not sure anybody knows.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

munudeges

LeClerc wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 21:44
Gardening leave rules are open to interpretation, depending on how much IP you carry and also whether long periods of leave would be detrimental to your propects of getting a new job.

In this case, you can safely assume EU rules will be of no help.
I think we can safely say that gardening leave rules are meaningless and teams and people find ways of working within it. Newey will swear absolutely blind that he started at McLaren in August 1997, but when you look at their 1997 car and their front wing it is quite clear he didn't.

RonDennis

I would expect Key to join McLaren around six months after the announcement. Doesn't make much sense for Red Bull to continue to pay him for doing nothing. I know they're rich, but even rich people don't like wasting money.

M840TR

Jolle

RonDennis wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 14:41
I would expect Key to join McLaren around six months after the announcement. Doesn't make much sense for Red Bull to continue to pay him for doing nothing. I know they're rich, but even rich people don't like wasting money.
Well, depends. If they think they can pass McLaren in the constructors championship because of holding back Key....

bauc

Jolle wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 16:32
RonDennis wrote:
Well, depends. If they think they can pass McLaren in the constructors championship because of holding back Key....
The moment Key singed with Mclaren he become a loose end at STR, so he might be part of the team at the moment but how much is he really involved? Keeping him at bay is aimed at damaging Mclaren chances for next year and by this stage I think they are doing good. Time will tell
Last edited by bauc on 09 Oct 2018, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

Jolle wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
in 2019 ? You do know that they stop working on the 2018 car around Barcelona right ?

Jolle

diffuser wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 16:41
Jolle wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
in 2019 ? You do know that they stop working on the 2018 car around Barcelona right ?
Yes, for 2019. The more you can disrupt the development of your competitors, the more chance you have against them

RonDennis

diffuser wrote:
Jolle wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
Well, you know Toro Rosso is going to be Red Bull's b-team next year, because they will both run the same engines, which means they will be sharing many parts.

M840TR

RonDennis wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 17:12
diffuser wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Well, you know Toro Rosso is going to be Red Bull's b-team next year, because they will both run the same engines, which means they will be sharing many parts.
Tost said they'll buy everything they can from Redbull. So both suspensions, transmission, packaging, fuel and the general aero will be effected by this as well like Haas. We should expect a reasonably competitive Toro Rosso next year.

RonDennis

M840TR wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 17:25
RonDennis wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Tost said they'll buy everything they can from Redbull. So both suspensions, transmission, packaging, fuel and the general aero will be effected by this as well like Haas. We should expect a reasonably competitive Toro Rosso next year.
Jup, they really should do something about that rule, it sucks.

Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 17:51
M840TR wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 17:25
RonDennis wrote:

Jup, they really should do something about that rule, it sucks.
I agree, it should be allowed for brand new entrants, and even that should be for a specific nbr of seasons. Everyone should build their car or buy the listed parts from an independent supplier, not a competing team.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.