Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
63l8qrrfy6

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Ferrari and Honda both use pouch type cells from Saft.

Walkman

Mudflap wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 23:28
Ferrari and Honda both use pouch type cells from Saft.
So there's some French hardware in Honda and ferrari. Funny.

saviour stivala

There is more French hardware than just batteries in FERRARI. In Honda I don’t know.

godlameroso

saviour stivala wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 08:10
There is more French hardware than just batteries in FERRARI. In Honda I don’t know.
What about software, you mentioned that in your "opinion" there is no TJI style pre-chamber, or any for that matter. That it was more to do with the in cylinder sensors than any fancy combustion tricks? Does the refinement of the sensors(hardware) have anything to do with the software side? Engine maps, or predictive algorithms to control knock and run the engine closer to the edge, are these limited by the resolution of the sensors?
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

French horn intakes?

Maybe I'm imagining things but I could have sworn I made a post asking a question about pressure sensors, oh well.
Saishū kōnā

subcritical71

godlameroso wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 22:58
French horn intakes?

Maybe I'm imagining things but I could have sworn I made a post asking a question about pressure sensors, oh well.
Your not imagining it, I saw it before it was deleted.

saviour stivala

What does software and pressure sensors got to do with French suppliers to FERRARI?.

turbof1

saviour stivala wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 12:06
What does software and pressure sensors got to do with French suppliers to FERRARI?.
Well, the battery cells are controlled through the software.
#AeroFrodo

saviour stivala

turbof1 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 12:42
saviour stivala wrote:
Yes they are, everything is controlled by software. but do you mean that SAFT also suppllies the cotrol software to FERRARI? because that was what my post was about.
As I said in my post of which was the one chosen now not to be allowed, it was all about blabbing about in responce to my post. but just in case there is a wish to go all over again what already had been discussed there is no problem from on this part.

turbof1

saviour stivala wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 12:59
turbof1 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 12:42
saviour stivala wrote:
Yes they are, everything is controlled by software. but do you mean that SAFT also suppllies the cotrol software to FERRARI? because that was what my post was about.
As I said in my post of which was the one chosen now not to be allowed, it was all about blabbing about in responce to my post. but just in case there is a wish to go all over again what already had been discussed there is no problem from on this part.
I am basically saying I don't really know, but my guess is the software is being developed by both Ferrari and SAFT and buried under a whole lot of NDA's.
#AeroFrodo

Nonserviam85

Phil wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 12:58
On the missed apex broadcast, they are talking about that a button has gone missing on the Ferrari steering wheel since two races. Is this true? It's the first I've heard it being mentioned.
I mentioned the same thing in the car thread last week. Seems weird.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27058&start=1695#p796146

dans79

turbof1 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 13:00
I am basically saying I don't really know, but my guess is the software is being developed by both Ferrari and SAFT and buried under a whole lot of NDA's.
This would be my educated guess as well. SAFT can probably help them squeeze a little more performance and longevity out of the cells because of their IP.
197 104 103 7

saviour stivala

dans79 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 13:15
turbof1 wrote:
This would be my educated guess as well. SAFT can probably help them squeeze a little more performance and longevity out of the cells because of their IP.
I have no doubt that a there will be advice/recommendations from a hardware supplier as to the best operating and control of his hardware supplied.

turbof1

saviour stivala wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 13:34
dans79 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 13:15
turbof1 wrote:
I have no doubt that a there will be advice/recommendations from a hardware supplier as to the best operating and control of his hardware supplied.
At this level I honestly think it goes a bit deeper than that. I don't think it is like "here you go, these are our cells. Here's our advice on how to use them". Ferrari will have specific requests on shape, charge and discharge, on how to integrate them with their control unit software. That requires a strong partnership, not just a supply/demand contract.
#AeroFrodo

subcritical71

Interesting comparison between the Honda and Ferrari battery posted on the Honda forum. If they do indeed both use the same Saft batteries there is an obvious difference in implementation! It could just be perspective, but the size of that Ferrari battery is staggering in comparison (ignore the tool tray on top of the Honda battery). :shock:
anthonyfa18 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 13:24

At Suzuka, we also got a good look at the battery of the Japanese V6 which seems very compact, especially compared to the system fitted to the Ferrari SF71H. Top battery is Honda and lower is Ferrari