2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
foxmulder_ms

Re: 2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

I've watched the race again. I actually now think that the 2 stop strategy was indeed the right call (1st being under the VSC) for Hamilton. The mistake was the too late 2nd pit stop. He could have overcut Kimi if he had just followed to pit one lap right after Kimi did. Or at least secured an easy 2nd. Kimi won the race at the start, I am so happy and really want to see him winning in the 3 remaining races too. HA!!

Jolle

Silicone would be gone before they even left the pit lane

gandharva

dans79 wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 18:08
Magnesium is a good thermal conductor, Silicone not so much. high temp glue now is it? this entire thing sounds like tin foil stupidity.
Right, but throwing a correct fact on a wrong one, doesn't make the wrong one correct. :wink:
No one knows if that story is true or not atm, but it's for sure not your first claim that makes it impossible to be true.
Jolle wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 18:31
It's a bit funny that several people in a technical forum think that this
is the only form of silicone that exists on this planet. ^^

maxxer

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... a/3196635/

So on 17th October Mercedes was cleared by the FIA according to this , so why should they suddenly stick sillicon the holes and if they are fed by brake air the sillicone would pop right out doesnt like to attach to magnesium that much I imagine.
And if you look at the redbull version there was alot more going on inside their wheel.

F1NAC

Vasconia wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 14:57
F1NAC wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 10:45
Vasconia wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 10:37

Indeed, after some mediocre races Ferrari was back in form. Did the new floor change the situation? Mercedes was half a second faster in the last races and yesterday Ferrari looked very strong. Its difficult to understand these changes. :roll:

Vettel´s pace was great, its a pity that he ruined his chances on Friday, and then again on Sunday.
They didn't use new floor (for rest of the stuff I don't know). I read that they reverted to Belgium spec and abandoned Singapore update (RW). They will re-evaluate them all in Mexico (because of rain on Friday)
Thanks!

Vettel has mentioned that they have been too slow realizing that the updates were not working.
I doubt that he was referring to those updates, because they weren't testing them extensively because of rain

TAG

foxmulder_ms wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 18:26
I've watched the race again. I actually now think that the 2 stop strategy was indeed the right call (1st being under the VSC) for Hamilton. The mistake was the too late 2nd pit stop. He could have overcut Kimi if he had just followed to pit one lap right after Kimi did. Or at least secured an easy 2nd. Kimi won the race at the start, I am so happy and really want to see him winning in the 3 remaining races too. HA!!
Yeah, the problem was that they never planned for a two stop. By the time they realized Hamilton wasn't going to make it, it was too late.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GrandAxe

Mercs performance on the ultra's was good, on the soft's it was atrocious. I guess they never saw it coming because all teams went blind into the race from scanty dry running in FP.

As for those seriously talking about silicone, good luck to you! How anyone can buy that a team would be asked to use basically household sealant so close to their brakes is almost beyond mystery.
Firstly, there are huge centrifugal forces in the wheels; secondly there are very high temperatures in the brakes; thirdly there are huge vibrations and direction changes in the wheels; fourthly except the materials the car is built with do not follow the rules, the FIA cannot mandate a team to use a specific construction material.

Lastly, wouldn't it have been more sensible for "claimers" to claim that the FIA demanded that any holes be closed with magnesium caps, especially since the wheels are made of magnesium?

Edax

gandharva wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 18:38
https://media.bahag.com/assets/resp_pro ... 236628.jpg
Pamela Anderson being the other? :wink:

gandharva

Edax wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 19:39
gandharva wrote:
:D

Just_a_fan

Maybe it was a translation error and was referring to silicon rather than silicone. Perhaps the FIA were wanting Mercedes to sand bag for the sake of the audience figures and someone got the word wrong... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43

It's odd that the same people crowing about the irrelevance of the "second sensor" are the same people clinging to an even more absurd theory about silicone.

This is not meant to be adversarial, but please take a step back for a second.

GrandAxe

Edax wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 19:39
gandharva wrote:
A pair will make the cars go vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooom! :lol:

LM10

Jolle wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 18:31
There are silicone versions which can withstand up to 1500°C and are being used in blast furnaces. I don't think that such material would be gone before they even left the pit lane.

TAG

1500°C silicone is pretty cool and all but how is any of this going to help Vettel win his 5th championship this year? Let's focus on the real issues here guys. 3 races left in the season, he's got to turn it up if he's going to win it.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Just_a_fan

TAG wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 20:35
3 races left in the season, he's got to turn it up if he's going to win it.
Vettel can not win the title, he can only be gifted it from now on by some monumental misfortune occuring to Hamilton. Even if Vettel wins all three races, Hamilton only needs one 7th place finish out of three races. Short of an awful accident that puts Hamilton out of the next race and the rest of the season, there isn't much hope for Vettel. Heck, even if Hamilton has to take a grid penalty, the reality is that the top 6 are so far ahead of the rest in terms of race performance that he can make up a pit lane start to finish 6th or better quite easily.

All Vettel can do is try to win each race. That's it. The rest is down to misfortune occuring to others.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.