McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: McLaren MCL33

kfrantzios wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:21
M840TR wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 16:34
diffuser wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 16:16

I saw that and wondered the same thing....maybe a change for nex year? Maybe cause of the rain they added df and will remove depending on the conditions?
They needed to add downforce because it's a high DF circuit. But the slots were removed to reduce drag. It's a trade off.
The slots reduce drag. Removing them increases drag.
Nope, they make airflow under the wing more consistent, but slightly weakens the main plane vortex. Which means you lose downforce, although it's more stable in yaw. To compensate you have to run a high drag rear wing.
Saishū kōnā

kfrantzios

Ok.. I thought you were referring to the slots at the top front of the endplates... My bad

M840TR

Weird thing Stoffel said after qualy: car is faster on supersofts than ultras. How's that even possible?

radosav

M840TR wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 19:56
Weird thing Stoffel said after qualy: car is faster on supersofts than ultras. How's that even possible?
Maybe they should reverse shield polarity , or compensate something.😏

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
I think at a few tracks they have had issues getting the softer tyres to work. Could be tyre temps. The Mclaren was decent with tyres at the start of the season but you see what some of the other teams can do with the tyres and this probably isn't the case now. Random thought, is the softer tyre less rigid, i.e. there is more movement in the tyre that affects the behaviour of the car? Probably not, but with the tolerances in F1 I guess it might be possible.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Nonserviam85

M840TR wrote:
I would guess the high DF philosophy of the car overheats the tyres fast.

M840TR

Maybe it's just Stoffel who's having this problem. Anyways, a positive among all the cluster is that the design department is very committed to a low-drag philosophy. Car was decent on straights even if it came at a big DF compromise. Should bode well for next season given all the problems are fixed.

PhillipM

They've had problems with working the softest compounds all year.

BrunoH

they always fall into te same mistake. its a medium downforce track.. so hey lets put a high df setup so we can show our chassis is marginal better in the corners than the rest of the field... even though we have the worst straight line speed... This way we are a fraction of a second faster in the esses, but a ton slower in the straights.

trying to mask how horrible the car is by just putting more wing...

Jackles-UK

M840TR wrote:
This has happened to a few teams this year. Renault struggled for months on the softer compounds in race trim and I think it was in Sochi that Verstappen was actually faster on his 40-odd laps old soft tyres that he started the race on than he was when he pitted for brand new super-soft tyres after his pit stop. Must be difficult to keep them in the operating window consistently without overheating them or something.

In terms of top speed the McLaren’s were predictably low in the major speed traps but Alonso jumps to 7th across the finish line and 4th in the 2nd intermediate speed trap; good going all things considered.

munudeges

M840TR wrote:
Pirelli.

M840TR

Jackles-UK wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 15:46
M840TR wrote:
This has happened to a few teams this year. Renault struggled for months on the softer compounds in race trim and I think it was in Sochi that Verstappen was actually faster on his 40-odd laps old soft tyres that he started the race on than he was when he pitted for brand new super-soft tyres after his pit stop. Must be difficult to keep them in the operating window consistently without overheating them or something.

In terms of top speed the McLaren’s were predictably low in the major speed traps but Alonso jumps to 7th across the finish line and 4th in the 2nd intermediate speed trap; good going all things considered.

http://f1i.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/ ... Austin.jpg
I was referring to the same data so thanks for sharing. As for the tyre deg during race, the car was always good like in Austria. I think it maybe overheating them on one lap because they can get the harder ones up to temps easily.
Verstappen turned down the engine in Sochi because his position was stable.

LuisFeF1

New Turning Vanes in Austin:

Three sections (red arrows)
A longitudinal cut in the lower part (green arrow)
Two metal reinforcements to prevent breakage (blue arrows)

White arrows: The new nose.

The new turning vanes are an evolution of the turning vanes seen for the first time in France, McLaren never used for the race:

Last edited by LuisFeF1 on 25 Oct 2018, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

M840TR

LuisFeF1 wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 19:48
New Turning Vanes in Austin:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1905/445 ... f9ce_o.jpg

Three sections (red arrows)
A longitudinal cut in the lower part (green arrow)
Two metal reinforcements to prevent breakage (blue arrows)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1966/447 ... f3df_o.jpg
White arrows: The new nose.

The new turning vanes are an evolution of the turning vanes seen for the first time in France, McLaren never used for the race:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/845/4122 ... fb8d_c.jpg
Did they use the new turning vanes for qualy and race?

Edax

BrunoH wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 13:04
they always fall into te same mistake. its a medium downforce track.. so hey lets put a high df setup so we can show our chassis is marginal better in the corners than the rest of the field... even though we have the worst straight line speed... This way we are a fraction of a second faster in the esses, but a ton slower in the straights.

trying to mask how horrible the car is by just putting more wing...
I think they have little leeway there. You know from alonso that he doesn’t mind having to throw the car around a bit and he can do so without hurting the tires. At ferrari he was always driving on the limit of downforce.

So I assume that he is doing the same at Mclaren. And I also assume that he has his say in what package goes onto the car.

For stoffel I am not so sure. I expect he prefers a more precise car. But from alonso I think it is safe to say that they cannot take more wing of the car without really getting in trouble.