Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

JordanMugen wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 06:08
Phil wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 14:20

He was the best man for the job on short-notice after Rosbergs unexpected retirement.
Was he?

Mercedes had Wehrlein available, who had outperformed Ericcson and who could be a star!
WaikeCU wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 12:58
He just needs to know where his future is heading.
Kubica should secure a solid drive in Super Formula or Indycar, instead of waiting around for an F1 drive! A championship win there (say in Japan) would open the door to an F1 return! :D
To me, a choice between Bottas and Wehlein is a no brainer. No way was Wehlein going to get that drive.
There are also complicating factors in Kubica's situation. He has been'payed out' by his insurance as not being able to pursue his trade, so of he takes a drive I would assume he would be asked some questions ans could cost him a lot to money. He would need to have a good drive to make it worth while.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Phil

JordanMugen wrote:

Was he?
I didnt say quickest, i said best. Given their performance of looking to win both championships, what’s there to argue against?

JordanMugen wrote:
Kubica should secure a solid drive in Super Formula or Indycar, instead of waiting around for an F1 drive! A championship win there (say in Japan) would open the door to an F1 return! :D
You know, if Kubica was still that good, Renault would have taken him when they were doing testing with him. He likely wasnt, so Kubica is now fighting for scraps over at Williams...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

netoperek
netoperek

JordanMugen wrote:
Phil wrote:

He was the best man for the job on short-notice after Rosbergs unexpected retirement.
Was he?

Mercedes had Wehrlein available, who had outperformed Ericcson and who could be a star!
WaikeCU wrote:
Wasn't it Wehrlein that was supposedly pain in the arse to work with? You don't want a spoiled brat that won't follow the instructions as Your 2nd driver doing. questioning his supporting role for Hamilton

As for Kubica - I don't think he would risk going through lesser series with his experiences after the crash. He went to WRC2, won it in his first year and then won quite a few SS in WRC driving Fords. He then had few tests with DTM, WEC, GT3 and FE and still, when time came to fight for F1, people kept rumbling about disability and that with such a long time without F1 speed wouldn't be there. Despite impressive performances in multiple spec cars and successfuly competing in different series. People just ignored it, because it wasn't F1. Suprisingly, what mattered was Williams test results fabricated to suit the narrative that securing a mediocre paydriver is a good choice. Say what You want, but if they had to add virtual tire difference (tire, that later on was exposed to be actually slower on Williams back then) to Kubica's one of only two allowed flying laps on it without even having a chance to test it before, to fabricate SS "faster lap time" with math, thats one sad joke of a test. Few months earlier he had a shootout with SS as his first taste of F1 in years and won comfortably, so the speed is there still.
My point here is that even winning any other series wouldn't necessarily be a step forward towards F1 return, because overall "public opinion" seems to be too easily shaped and have too short of a memory for it to have any meaningful impact and would only make for another wasted year in that regard.
I think, that if He won't secure a seat very soon, He will write off F1 and go somewhere else. It really would be a shame if one of the very few guys in the world talented enough to compete with Hamilton would have to leave the sport without even being given a chance.

Phil, Renault didn't take him because they got much better off with a combo of Carlos + Mclaren engine deal + few milions extra. Can't really blame them for that, it was a smart move.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

netoperek
netoperek

:)

marmer
marmer

O I hope not he is awful

Morteza

marmer wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 09:22
O I hope not he is awful
With Rich Energy drink going to Haas, Williams are for sure looking for someone with deep pockets and good sponsors to replace Stroll and Martini. I hope that driver isn't going to be Gutiérrez (nothing against him, but he is terrible). The other Esteban [Ocon] is much more talented, but his chance of securing the Williams seat is very low.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

FrukostScones

Ferrari: VET/LEC !
Mercedes: HAM/BOT !
Red Bull: VES/GAS !
McLaren: SAI/NOR !
Findia: STR/PER !
Sauber: RAI/GIO !
Toro Rosso: KVY/ALB!
Haas: GRO/MAG !
Williams: RUS/SIR/GUI/OCO
Renault: RIC/HUL !

Hartley seems to be defintely out https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13971 ... sly-remark
KUB to Ferrari As Simulator driver... GUI apparently bidding for Williams AS read in above posts.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

netoperek
netoperek

FrukostScones wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 13:48

KUB to Ferrari As Simulator driver... GUI apparently bidding for Williams AS read in above posts.
Kubica said himself that sim/reserve/dev driver role is out of the question for him.

Jolle
Jolle

JordanMugen wrote:
Phil wrote:

Was he?

WaikeCU wrote:
I think finding a good match with Hamilton was their main focus. Wehrlein is young and ambitious and would clash with Hamilton (in whom they invested greatly). As this year proved, Bottas is/can be a team player. I'm very curious how Leclerc and Vettel will do next year.

WaikeCU

FrukostScones wrote:
Ferrari: VET/LEC !
Mercedes: HAM/BOT !
Red Bull: VES/GAS !
McLaren: SAI/NOR !
Findia: STR/PER !
Sauber: RAI/GIO !
Toro Rosso: KVY/ALB!
Haas: GRO/MAG !
Williams: RUS/SIR/GUI/OCO
Renault: RIC/HUL !

Hartley seems to be defintely out https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13971 ... sly-remark
Is Gutierrez a development driver for Merc nowadays? Didn't know that.

Vasconia

netoperek wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 16:28
FrukostScones wrote:

Kubica said himself that sim/reserve/dev driver role is out of the question for him.
But if there is no available seat for him it would be a B plan, and Ferrari is not a bad place to be.

djos

Unless bob can find 20 million to pay back his insurance company and bring money to Williams, imo he's got no chance of getting the drive.

Which is a shame, I think he'd do a great job.
"In downforce we trust"

WaikeCU

JordanMugen wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
This would not work simply because Kubica is getting too old. If he goes to indycar, I expect him to remain there and not come back to F1.

langwadt
langwadt

WaikeCU wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 10:39
JordanMugen wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
This would not work simply because Kubica is getting too old. If he goes to indycar, I expect him to remain there and not come back to F1.
Kubica is 33, hasn't driven an F1 car in anger in 8 years and never in the current formula, I can't see how he is going
to get a seat