Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
henry

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

@turbof1. You’re right, but if Mercedes don’t run the concept this weekend it will more likely be that they are pursuing minimum risk than an admission of guilt. They only need two 5,6 finishes in the next two races and it is likely they can do that without the spacer tech.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

maxxer

Merc also is now on top of their problem to cool the rears more so they might not even need this anymore and just adjust the brake ducting or something

LM10

maxxer wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 17:47
Merc also is now on top of their problem to cool the rears more so they might not even need this anymore and just adjust the brake ducting or something
How did you come to this conclusion?

Just_a_fan

The real way to avoid the protest is to have the wheel itself contain the drillings that are in the spacer - or something similar. That would probably be quite challenging to achieve but I bet they could do something clever to mimic the effect and reduce thermal conduction from hub to rim. Alternatively, do something clever with the hub itself - does that need to be a homogenous material? Could they form some insulating material in to the hub face itself? If they did, would anyone know as the hubs are covered by the brake cooling drums. "More than one way to skin a cat", after all.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

maxxer

LM10 wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 17:49
maxxer wrote:
When using the technology they had less problems then without.

LM10

maxxer wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 13:46
LM10 wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 17:49
maxxer wrote:
When using the technology they had less problems then without.
Yes, but you told that they might not need the technology anymore because of having come on top of the problems. They solved their problems, but they did it by that technology.

Polite

Dont think they will run it anyway in Brasil, TD or not. They dont want to take any risk.

And that's why the first who think this tecnology is not legal are the Mercs themselves.

They will try to run it in 2019 after the TD and after others teams develop it.

subcritical71

Polite wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 18:15
Dont think they will run it anyway in Brasil, TD or not. They dont want to take any risk.

And that's why the first who think this tecnology is not legal are the Mercs themselves.

Huh, really? So you are saying the Merc knows it’s illegal and you are basing that on them using a common sense strategy that may help them win the constructors this year. They may also not want the full details laid out for their competitor to see, this year. And even if there is only a slight chance that the Brazilian stewards would look unfavorably at the system, who in their right mind would take that chance with so few points separating themselves from the Ferrari. If they think it’s legal with no doubt they would most likely arrive at the same strategy as they have employed now because of the big unknown... the stewards... because they have been oh sooo consistent in their rulings over the years!

Polite

Stewards can be a problem only if theres a problem in the car.
And Merc is not new to unfair strategy: did u remeber the 4th pu in SPA 2017 one gp before the new oil regulation?
I think they dont want to take risks, thats all. They were running in the gray zone for few lucky gps and won the championship.

For what i saw they have developed a very good tech. And i dont think aero is the main profit, but they are using aero tools to control the temps of the rear, both low and high temps: no graining, no blistering, max traction.

SiLo

I still think its dumb that they can issue a TD saying its legal but still get protested and potentially thrown out because of the way the stewards interpret their interpretation.

A TD should set the record straight and that should be the end of it.
Felipe Baby!

subcritical71

SiLo wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 22:49
I still think its dumb that they can issue a TD saying its legal but still get protested and potentially thrown out because of the way the stewards interpret their interpretation.

A TD should set the record straight and that should be the end of it.
I’m with you on this. I would think the rules maker would be the ultimate authority on the interpretation of the rules at least as far as the steward/FIA relationship is concerned. Don’t the stewards work for the FIA?

dans79

subcritical71 wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 03:27
I’m with you on this. I would think the rules maker would be the ultimate authority on the interpretation of the rules at least as far as the steward/FIA relationship is concerned. Don’t the stewards work for the FIA?
Come on now, they need to keep the fake drama going to keep the lowbrow F1 fans interested.
197 104 103 7

subcritical71

dans79 wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 04:30
subcritical71 wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 03:27
Come on now, they need to keep the fake drama going to keep the lowbrow F1 fans interested.
Yeah, right. :wink: It doesn’t matter why they’re talking, it’s that they're talking about F1 :D

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zokipirlo

Polite wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 18:15

Yes, if you aren't using a solution anymore when someone threat you with a protest is silently admitting that it's not so clear as it want to be presented in media. Especially when you have such a big problems with tyres without that solution.
On the other hand Ferrari wasn't worried to use their twin battery because they know it's legal even if media tried to said otherwise and where speculating all sorts of b****** just to discredit Ferrari engine development.