2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 9-11 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 9-11 November

Tire Choices

2017 Results
Qualifying

Race

2017 Pole Lap

2017 Race Highlights

SiLo

Re: 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 9-11 November

Easy to forget that Hamilton ran utterly ridiculous pace the whole grand prix to only end up 5 seconds behind the winner considering where he started.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan

He had the luxury of having full access to "mad mode" on his PU, of course. It does rather show what the cars could do if they were allowed to by the rules. I remember Hamilton saying he was very tired after that run through the field, and I remember people claiming he shouldn't be as it was easy to do as the car is so good etc. What it showed was that these cars could, if allowed to, be too much for the drivers to drive flat out for a full race distance. I watched a video of the driver of the Porsche 919 Tribute car - he said that the car is difficult to drive and manage and that the driver is the limit, not the car. In F1, the rules have made the car the limit rather than the driver. I'd love to see them just all be allowed full access to the PU for the whole race. I bet we'd see mistakes in the later stages as the drivers basically got too tired to manage.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TAG

Ferrari need to win with both guys on the podium to stay in the constructor's race.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

santos

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 15:35
He had the luxury of having full access to "mad mode" on his PU, of course. It does rather show what the cars could do if they were allowed to by the rules. I remember Hamilton saying he was very tired after that run through the field, and I remember people claiming he shouldn't be as it was easy to do as the car is so good etc. What it showed was that these cars could, if allowed to, be too much for the drivers to drive flat out for a full race distance. I watched a video of the driver of the Porsche 919 Tribute car - he said that the car is difficult to drive and manage and that the driver is the limit, not the car. In F1, the rules have made the car the limit rather than the driver. I'd love to see them just all be allowed full access to the PU for the whole race. I bet we'd see mistakes in the later stages as the drivers basically got too tired to manage.
I wouldn't say that they should drive at the max of PU. It has to last more then a race. I just don't the like the way the tyres are done. Managing the tyres from lap one it's an absurd. Teams spend so much Money to gain performance, and when the race comes, they have to race like they were a sunday driver.

Just_a_fan

santos wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 15:52

I wouldn't say that they should drive at the max of PU. It has to last more then a race.
Lack of overall pace (compared to maximum pace in the car if all constraints were removed) is as much because they have to mange the life of the PU and gearbox as it is about the tyres. The tyres don't help, of course, but the teams wouldn't run flat out even on tyres that could allow them to. The teams would still have to balance PU / gearbox life against pace. Sure, one could argue that they'd put more effort in to making the PU and gearbox more robust, but then they'd likely lose some of the performance too. Then there's the fuel limitation to remember too. If they ran flat out for the whole race, they'd all run out of fuel after an hour!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

saviour stivala

number 44 started the race before last one of season on a fresh brand new power unit and gearbox.

saviour stivala

Power unit reliability at least by the two top manufacturers have reached a level never seen before in formula 1.

Roxi

Just_a_fan wrote:
Not to stray off topic, but I have only ever felt this way one time driving a road car. Everything else that I drive seems pretty boring, more or so in a sense that I only ever slow down either because I run out of room, or someone gets in my way. Only once have I ever been the limiting factor in a driving situation. Pretty surreal feeling, makes you swallow your nuts for sure. ;)

But I think this is a interesting concept. Would be neat to watch drivers spin/ make mistakes from being pushed to hard by another driver. Sounds cool.

GrandAxe

Merc used old spec 2 engines for Mexico, so we can expect them to run absolutely wild with much newer engines in Brazil. The WCC is still up for grabs.

PlatinumZealot

santos wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 15:52
Just_a_fan wrote:
I wouldn't say that they should drive at the max of PU. It has to last more then a race. I just don't the like the way the tyres are done. Managing the tyres from lap one it's an absurd. Teams spend so much Money to gain performance, and when the race comes, they have to race like they were a sunday driver.
The tires are not the problem. The penalty you pay for a pit stop, and the subsequent drive though traffic is!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

search

GrandAxe wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 02:48
Merc used old spec 2 engines for Mexico, so we can expect them to run absolutely wild with much newer engines in Brazil. The WCC is still up for grabs.
well, "old" in terms of the specification, yes, but the Spec 3 was introduced in Monza, so that's 5 races since then and not that much of a difference in milage compared to the Spec 2 they introduced in France (even less so for Bottas, who got a new one in Silverstone).

Bottas already got the Spec 3 back in the car after FP3 in Mexico btw

Restomaniac

I’ve a feeling that Ferrari will win the WCC.

I could be wrong but it’s just an inclination I have.

Manoah2u

Not even close.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Restomaniac

Manoah2u wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 16:20
Not even close.
It needs to be remembered that Hamilton has never won a race after securing the title and Bottas has currently been miles off.