2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tattoo-

Re: 2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

Rob Smedley will leave WilliamsF1 at the end of the season. :(

Smedley to leave Williams F1 team after 2018
"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

Tattoo-

They have fired Dirk de Beer & Ed Wood and now also Smedley is leaving, but they didn't announce any new signatures to replace those (important) roles? :? Strange things happening at Williams...
"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

Godius

Big Tea wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 13:01
Ocon is not that inexperienced now. We still think of him as the 'new boy' but he has been driving F1 since 2016, would probably have learned much at Manor, as they were starting at the bottom, FI for 2 years, and I think he previously tested for Lotus (??? his wiki says a practice session)

Add to this his Mercedes contacts and he has had more experience than many.
And yet with Ocon's experience he did not leave a very good impression to me regarding his talent. I don't think he is that talented compared to a Leclerc or Verstappen for example. Ocon's results compared to Perez are not impressive, disappointing I would say. Perez has him in the pocket.

bill shoe

Ocon for sure lacks the pace to be a Verstappen or Hamilton, etc. He does have enough pace to be a genuinely formidable midfield runner. However, the combination of midfield speed and Mercedes (frontrunner) backing is precisely why he's having difficulty keeping a ride. If he's not showing total front-runner potential then why would Merc pump more money into his career? It doesn't do Merc any good to develop midfield talent. They are thinking front-runner level or go onto the next driver.

There's a large gap between the Verstappen/Hamilton level and the Stroll/Sirotkin level. Ocon fits in there and would do much good for Williams and Russell.

netoperek

Haha, good point marmer :)
Big Tea, yeah I completely forgot Esteban drove for Manor in 2016

Big Tea

I think I will hold my council of Ocon. We do not really have a good yardstick to judge him, and Russel will not be either, at least not at first.
I see him as steady rather than spectacular, but lots of good finishes often brings more points than a few high placings and DNF's.

He could well develop into a Button type driver and have a very good career, possibly even being in the right car for championships.
Merc seem to think a lot of him, and they should be in a position to know.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ringo

Godius wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 15:39
Big Tea wrote:
Ocon is not that inexperienced now. We still think of him as the 'new boy' but he has been driving F1 since 2016, would probably have learned much at Manor, as they were starting at the bottom, FI for 2 years, and I think he previously tested for Lotus (??? his wiki says a practice session)

And yet with Ocon's experience he did not leave a very good impression to me regarding his talent. I don't think he is that talented compared to a Leclerc or Verstappen for example. Ocon's results compared to Perez are not impressive, disappointing I would say. Perez has him in the pocket.
You may be underestimating perez there. Perez it top drawer. Reminds me of rosberg before he got into the 2014 mercedes against hamilton. I think Ocon has done well to push back against Perez. Yes he is no one in ten years driver.
For Sure!!

marmer

Godius wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 15:39
Big Tea wrote:

actually with the way perez had defended against Ocon and the amount of times he has been out qualified by him i would say perez feels threatened by him

bill shoe

The "Who is better- Perez or Ocon?" question has been discussed extensively on the Force India thread. Yelling has ensued, cast-iron frying pans have been thrown, and blood has been shed. You can be served with a formal Declaration of War for merely suggesting they are similar quality. Much danger to be had. But go have it on the Force India thread.

I would love for Williams to have either Perez or Ocon instead of Sirotkin in 2019. :D

Did Russell's PowerPoint presentation give specific recommendations for a teammate?

McG

Big Tea wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 17:04
I think I will hold my council of Ocon. We do not really have a good yardstick to judge him, and Russel will not be either, at least not at first.
I see him as steady rather than spectacular, but lots of good finishes often brings more points than a few high placings and DNF's.

He could well develop into a Button type driver and have a very good career, possibly even being in the right car for championships.
Don't really get this. He could end up like any F1 driver ever. No point in guessing what his career will be like just because he's British like Button and similarly starting at Williams.
F1 is dead.

Big Tea

McG wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 09:49
Big Tea wrote:

Don't really get this. He could end up like any F1 driver ever. No point in guessing what his career will be like just because he's British like Button and similarly starting at Williams.
He is French?. What I mean is that some drivers come in ready prepared while others tend to gather experience and use it well, as did button. I think Ocon is one of this type that get no faster bet use all the tools they pick up on the way.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McG

Big Tea wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 12:14
McG wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 09:49
Big Tea wrote:

He is French?. What I mean is that some drivers come in ready prepared while others tend to gather experience and use it well, as did button. I think Ocon is one of this type that get no faster bet use all the tools they pick up on the way.
Sorry I thought you were talking about Russell for some reason lol
F1 is dead.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare