Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Indeed. Fabrega tweeted a photo of them today. I guess they will use them tomorrow, too.

Morteza

Much less blistering on Mercedes' tires compared to Ferrari
Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Manfer

Morteza wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 21:14
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrlVBdPWwAE8pix.jpg
Via @AlbertFabrega
Hamilton ran 11 laps on those tyres where as Vettel did a 20 lap stint.

dans79

Manfer wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 22:15
Morteza wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 21:14
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrlVBdPWwAE8pix.jpg
Via @AlbertFabrega
Hamilton ran 11 laps on those tyres where as Vettel did a 20 lap stint.
Bottas did 18 in a stint, and didn't show this kind of blistering.
197 104 103 7

MtthsMlw

ringo

From that video, it's hard for me to see this cooling the rim. It looks as if the rim is being heated by that flow.
Unless the passageways are coated with an insulating layer.
Cooling would make sense if the air stream came into the wheel cooler than the rim temperature. If the stream was heated by the wheel hub and brakes, then it's unlikely it will be cooler than the rim; so heat would flow into the rim.

So it would be nice to hear what is considered the flow of heat, and what is assumed to be the state of the air, hotter or colder than the rim core temperature.
For Sure!!

Holm86

Wasn't the whole point to heat the rims??
Mercedes problem is blistering on the rear tires, blistering happens when the surface area of the tire gets warmer than the rest of the tire. Heating the rim, heats up the rest of the tire, so blistering is less likely to occur

siskue2005

Holm86 wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 13:34
Wasn't the whole point to heat the rims??
Mercedes problem is blistering on the rear tires, blistering happens when the surface area of the tire gets warmer than the rest of the tire. Heating the rim, heats up the rest of the tire, so blistering is less likely to occur
if they are just heating the rims, then why should there be an heat outlet? if heating the rim was the aim then there wont be any rule bending.... as just channeling the hot air inside the rims should do the trick, without any outlet (which seems to be the controversy here)? pardon my lack of knowledge, if i am wrong please correct.

Big Tea

ringo wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 05:51
From that video, it's hard for me to see this cooling the rim. It looks as if the rim is being heated by that flow.
Cooling would make sense if the air stream came into the wheel cooler than the rim temperature. If the stream was heated by the wheel hub and brakes, then it's unlikely it will be cooler than the rim; so heat would flow into the rim.

So it would be nice to hear what is considered the flow of heat, and what is assumed to be the state of the air, hotter or colder than the rim core temperature.
I think in important part of the setup is the 'insulating spacer' between the wheel and hub flange. It is not just an air flow.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PhillipM

ringo wrote:
If they wanted to heat them they wouldn't bother with all the voids and holes and just let the aluminium conduct the heat, from the hub, it's far better at heat tranmission than a tiny bit of airflow is. #-o

MtthsMlw

Now AMuS is reporting that they still won't use the rims with holes :lol:
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... wieder-zu/

BassVirolla

PhillipM wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 15:37
ringo wrote:
If they wanted to heat them they wouldn't bother with all the voids and holes and just let the aluminium conduct the heat, from the hub, it's far better at heat tranmission than a tiny bit of airflow is. #-o
As I said some days ago, I think that the whole thing is insulating the rim from the hub, probably trying to avoid that the pressures raise more than desired or expected. It will align well with the problems Mercedes had with the raised minimum pressures.

ringo

PhillipM wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 15:37
ringo wrote:
Do you know the air temperature? Only then can you suggest what's happening.
For Sure!!

PhillipM

Do I need to? If they needed more heat transfer there they'd make it solid, let the aluminium (with it's orders of magnitude higher heat conduction) move the heat, and give the brake rotor mounts more surface area to transmit more heat through the hub.
It'd be massively more effective.

zokipirlo

MtthsMlw wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 17:26
Now AMuS is reporting that they still won't use the rims with holes :lol:
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... wieder-zu/
Of course they won't because it's illegal, with every week it's getting more clear. We still don't have TD on that matter...