IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
McHonda

Re: IndyCar Series

FW17 wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 12:15
jjn9128 wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 11:02
NathanOlder wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 09:31
Nice that they are going to COTA ! But will they use the full circuit ?? I'd love a direct comparison to F1 but I bet they use a shorter version that cuts the track short at turn 6. :(
They tested on the full track. No reason to doubt they'll use it next year. Who cares about a direct comparison to F1 - this year Indycar took downforce off the car, and guess what... they look great, they're tough to drive (no power steering and sliding), and they can actually race.
What is the excitement of not having power steering?
Dunno about excitement but no power steering just means its harder to drive and physically more demanding on the driver across a race distance so mistakes can creep in.

jjn9128

McHonda wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 18:10
FW17 wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 12:15
jjn9128 wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 11:02

They tested on the full track. No reason to doubt they'll use it next year. Who cares about a direct comparison to F1 - this year Indycar took downforce off the car, and guess what... they look great, they're tough to drive (no power steering and sliding), and they can actually race.
What is the excitement of not having power steering?
Dunno about excitement but no power steering just means its harder to drive and physically more demanding on the driver across a race distance so mistakes can creep in.
Bingo!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

I very much would love to see the return of the H-pattern gearbox... there's something so... "visceral" about seeing someone slam the hell out of this thing that sits beside me in my own car. Or maybe I just like to play pretend sometimes... :roll: :lol:

"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

strad

I like the steering wheel as well. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Big Tea

Where is Mclaren indy team going to be based? I have to assume it would not make sense to be anywhere other than USA, but will they still be using, or be allowed by rules to use the main facilities?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 13:07
Where is Mclaren indy team going to be based? I have to assume it would not make sense to be anywhere other than USA, but will they still be using, or be allowed by rules to use the main facilities?
I guess as they're only doing the 500 - somewhere around Indianapolis. A lot of teams are around there anyway.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 14:17
Big Tea wrote:
I guess as they're only doing the 500 - somewhere around Indianapolis. A lot of teams are around there anyway.
So will things like wind tunnel time etc be counted against Mclaren F1?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 14:20
I don't think Indycar teams can do aero testing like that... even if they could it isn't on an F1 car so they'd be free to do what they want.
#aerogandalf

AMG.Tzan

So after Honda weren't willing to give McLaren an engine...will they race with Chevys???
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 14:20
jjn9128 wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 14:17
Big Tea wrote:
All FIA's limitations for F1 are only for the F1 team, not other parts or racing activities of a company of course... else Ferrari and Mercedes would have a big big problem :P

McLaren of course uses recourses from the MTC to develop their road cars as well, as well as other kind of equipment for third parties.

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 22:48
Will Alonso be in IndyCar next year though ?
He said he´ll participate, but not at all venues

Morteza

:)
Last edited by Morteza on 21 Nov 2018, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

strad

Not sure why but I can't play these videos, but I take it he is moving towards recovery and that is truly great.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss