2018 in-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WaikeCU

Re: 2018 in-season testing thread

NathanOlder wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 15:07
dren wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 14:16
I think Ferrari is going to have problems next year with Leclerc being competitive against Vettel.
Ferrari shouldn't have problems, Sebastian will be the one with the problems. Ferrari's baby is Charles
That baby used to be Jules, now it's Charles. Since both were very close with Jules, both Ferrari and Charles want to win a Championship just for Jules I reckon.

dren

I'm sure there are emotional ties there still, but I'd figure Ferrari just want to win a championship for Ferrari and don't care which driver pulls it off.
Honda!

Raleigh

That spells trouble for Vettel.

Though I think he'll be more prepared for the fight this time around than he was against Ricciardo. Got to be a system shock winning 4 titles in a row and comprehensively crushing your team mate, only to get blown away by a younger and less experienced driver new to the team.

This time at least he knows Leclerc is going to be really fast and a big challenge.

Either way I'm really looking forward to that team battle.

Just_a_fan

It rather depends what Leclerc's contract says, I'd guess. If Leclerc's signed up to a definite, written in blood, number 2 position then Vettel won't worry. If he's not worried he'll drive better and so be able to outpace the youngster.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vasconia

Raleigh wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 16:17
That spells trouble for Vettel.

Though I think he'll be more prepared for the fight this time around than he was against Ricciardo. Got to be a system shock winning 4 titles in a row and comprehensively crushing your team mate, only to get blown away by a younger and less experienced driver new to the team.

This time at least he knows Leclerc is going to be really fast and a big challenge.

Either way I'm really looking forward to that team battle.
If the team manages this well it will be a boost for the team.

NathanOlder

WaikeCU wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 15:18
NathanOlder wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 15:07
dren wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 14:16
I think Ferrari is going to have problems next year with Leclerc being competitive against Vettel.
Ferrari shouldn't have problems, Sebastian will be the one with the problems. Ferrari's baby is Charles
That baby used to be Jules, now it's Charles. Since both were very close with Jules, both Ferrari and Charles want to win a Championship just for Jules I reckon.
Yeah very good point, I hadn't thought about that.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 16:28
It rather depends what Leclerc's contract says, I'd guess. If Leclerc's signed up to a definite, written in blood, number 2 position then Vettel won't worry. If he's not worried he'll drive better and so be able to outpace the youngster.
I can't believe they would do that, If Charles turns out faster (very possible) then he has to give way to Seb, only for Seb to have a meltdown 3yrs running and lose another title. It would be very foolish of Ferrari, they won't do that. Kimi was pushed in to a number 2 after years of being beaten. He started each year with every chance, but after 4 races and the beginning of the European calendar, Ferrari could see it was up to Seb so they use Kimi accordingly and rightfully so.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

HiddenIncome_

NathanOlder wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 01:24
Good to see Red Bull getting some laps in while they still can.
You do know the Honda STR did the most laps on both days right? :roll:

marmer

Was kubica focusing on long runs with such a poor time

NathanOlder

I'd imagine he spent the day with his team working out the tyres like the rest and not doing much in terms of laptimes.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Vasconia

marmer wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 22:53
Was kubica focusing on long runs with such a poor time
Indeed he didn´t try to make fast laps as he was focusing on other things. Lap times are not important in this test. I dont think Ferrari is 1,5-2 seconds faster than Mercedes right now. :mrgreen:

I am more interestest to read driver´s impressions about the new tyres as it will be a good indicator of how performance could change in 2019.

Good to see that Sainz has done many laps without problems.

NathanOlder

NathanOlder wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 17:13
Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 16:28
I can't believe they would do that, If Charles turns out faster (very possible) then he has to give way to Seb, only for Seb to have a meltdown 3yrs running and lose another title. It would be very foolish of Ferrari, they won't do that. Kimi was pushed in to a number 2 after years of being beaten. He started each year with every chance, but after 4 races and the beginning of the European calendar, Ferrari could see it was up to Seb so they use Kimi accordingly and rightfully so.
So what would be the reason to rate down this post ? It's not a 'Like' 'Dislike' button, if its rated down , I guess its something that someone see's as incorrect ? If thats the case, why not have a discussion on the matter ? I'd love to know what Iv'e got wrong.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Chuckjr

Red Bull has their Verstappen, and now Ferrari has their LeClerc.
Watching F1 since 1986.

zac510

Chuckjr wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 12:12
Red Bull has their Verstappen, and now Ferrari has their LeClerc.
Fascinating insight into the world of F1 :lol: