F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Phil wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 14:21
I look forward to see how the industry develops if everyone adopts a “pay to view” philosophy.

Free television was brilliant because, like the internet, it allows everyone to tune in and watch unconditionally. Some people tuned in, liked what they saw and became fans. Some told their friends about it, and they too became fans.

Pay to view is the opposite of that. People not sure or who dont know, wont pay to find out. Only people who know what they get, end up signing up and paying.

You end up with a smaller viewing platform. This is bad for companies who are sponsors and only care about screen time and reaching as many people as possible. They’d rather have millions watching, rather than a few hundreth-thousand paying Sky viewers.
This is it exactly.
A group of my apprentices were talking about it (waaay back) and disagreeing with one of the others, saying they had no interest in 'watching cars go round in circles' and preferred to watch rally.
We both said more or less, that the race was just the focal point, the ethos was, as we do here, the background and prep, so slowly they (mostly) took an interest.

They would not have paid to find out, and would have been lost as 'consumers'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

Big Tea wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 14:27
Phil wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 14:21
I look forward to see how the industry develops if everyone adopts a “pay to view” philosophy.

Free television was brilliant because, like the internet, it allows everyone to tune in and watch unconditionally. Some people tuned in, liked what they saw and became fans. Some told their friends about it, and they too became fans.

Pay to view is the opposite of that. People not sure or who dont know, wont pay to find out. Only people who know what they get, end up signing up and paying.

You end up with a smaller viewing platform. This is bad for companies who are sponsors and only care about screen time and reaching as many people as possible. They’d rather have millions watching, rather than a few hundreth-thousand paying Sky viewers.
This is it exactly.
A group of my apprentices were talking about it (waaay back) and disagreeing with one of the others, saying they had no interest in 'watching cars go round in circles' and preferred to watch rally.
We both said more or less, that the race was just the focal point, the ethos was, as we do here, the background and prep, so slowly they (mostly) took an interest.

They would not have paid to find out, and would have been lost as 'consumers'
Well put and I feel the same. Among me and my technical friends this is the path we all took to F1. Interestingly, it is mirrored somewhat by my Wife who too appreciates the race as the focal point - but for her the ethos is the soap opera drama!

ME4ME

I think this is where F1TV can be of great use; they should offer some kind of free trial package including a couple of free races for each new member. If people get hooked, they might either continue to watch via F1TV and pay for their subscription, or get a sports package from their national F1 broadcaster.

nevill3

ME4ME wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 18:36
I think this is where F1TV can be of great use; they should offer some kind of free trial package including a couple of free races for each new member. If people get hooked, they might either continue to watch via F1TV and pay for their subscription, or get a sports package from their national F1 broadcaster.
The F1TV costs less than $20 for the whole year, but I agree show the first one for free or give the new customers 13 months for the price of 12 months cancel in the first month for a full refund.

This is off topic now so further discussions should really be in this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26988&start=180
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

NathanOlder

Sky Sports show multiple races on their SkyMix channel each year that doesn't require a skysports subscription. So anyone with Sky Tv and Virgin Tv in the UK which must be most households will have access to F1 races for no extra fee.

Anyway, less that 3 weeks to testing guys :P
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

3 weeks is a long time.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 03:11
3 weeks is a long time.
At least its not 3 months! 8)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

etusch

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 09:21
PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 03:11
3 weeks is a long time.
At least its not 3 months! 8)
It is getting harder to wait when there is lesser time

NathanOlder

True, but we now only have 18 full days of no F1 cars on track! And in those 18 days will be most of the car launches.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

LM10

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 12:12
True, but we now only have 18 full days of no F1 cars on track! And in those 18 days will be most of the car launches.
Exactly... car launches and the technical analysis afterwards will be very exciting already!

Capharol

LM10 wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 13:01
NathanOlder wrote:
Exactly... car launches and the technical analysis afterwards will be very exciting already!
guessing these technical analysises will still be "guessing" as we do already at the moment, the real details will be first seen in Melbourne and not during testing

LM10

Capharol wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 16:04
LM10 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
guessing these technical analysises will still be "guessing" as we do already at the moment, the real details will be first seen in Melbourne and not during testing
There will still be much to talk about. The sidepods, rake, engine cover, in short the general philosophy will be visible already.

etusch

Capharol

LM10 wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 18:15
Capharol wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 16:04

There will still be much to talk about. The sidepods, rake, engine cover, in short the general philosophy will be visible already.
True :lol: :wink:

Vasconia

LM10 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
This pre-season time is great with all the initial excitement.
:mrgreen: