F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nevill3

Re: F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

I wonder how reliable gpfans website is for breaking news. A potential deal to allow the UK fans access to the full OTT service would be welcomed by many many fans expecially if it was at last years prices $27 dollars for the year in the USA £20 in the UK
......Liberty admitted that 2018 had been a "soft launch" and have vowed a bigger and better product for next year, with reports claiming that more territories – including a potentially lucrative UK market – will be added to the full-feature platform in 2019.
https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3754 ... e-in-2019/
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Cuky

nevill3 wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 20:34
The F1TV costs less than $20 for the whole year
Just out of curiosity, where did you get this price? Because for me the price is 6.99€/month or 64.99€/year

Or was it something that you thought was fair price if they wanted to attract more customers?

Moctecus

nevill3 wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 22:31
I wonder how reliable gpfans website is for breaking news. A potential deal to allow the UK fans access to the full OTT service would be welcomed by many many fans expecially if it was at last years prices $27 dollars for the year in the USA £20 in the UK
F1 TV Access is £2.29 a month, or £17.99 year in the UK, where it's been available since day 1 of F1 TV. It, however, is not the full OTT service. It only gives on-demand access to previous races and no live coverage. For the full streaming service you need F1 TV Pro, which costs the equivalent of around £6 a month or £55-60 a year throughout Europe.
F1 TV Pro will never be available as an alternative to Sky in the UK as long as Sky have their exclusive rights. The only realistic possibility is the subscription being offered on their Sky Q service and there's been some rumours that might be happening. Then you'd be able to buy F1 TV Pro in the UK, but you'd still have to pay for a Sky Q subscription on top of that. It would supplement a Sky subscription for the enthusiast F1 fan with extra features and content, not replace it.

flexcon

F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

I’ve been testing this service in the UK since singapore last year using croatia as a base sub

i’m using windscribe VPN - Zagreb and works very good with sky F1 commentary in the Uk.

I’ve also requested from SmartDNS to add this service to their faster DNS spoofing and are actively looking into it since many have requested it. Looking at Canada source as being most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zynerji

With the off-season in full swing, i have been watching the archive every day at work (background "music") and i now firmly believe that a 9 year old built the F1TV site after watching 3 youtube videos... i have to reload the site several times, every time, to get the archive of my choice to load, and i have buffering issues on a 1Gbit connection...

Juzh

Zynerji wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 23:50
With the off-season in full swing, i have been watching the archive every day at work (background "music") and i now firmly believe that a 9 year old built the F1TV site after watching 3 youtube videos... i have to reload the site several times, every time, to get the archive of my choice to load, and i have buffering issues on a 1Gbit connection...
Yep, it's garbage. What gives me some hope is that for the last 2 races onboard stream smoothness was vastly improved (at the cost of image quality). Wasn't perfect, but better at least.

flexcon

Anyone else having the weird login loop issue where by you keep having to login over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zynerji

Juzh wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 12:20
Zynerji wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 23:50
Yep, it's garbage. What gives me some hope is that for the last 2 races onboard stream smoothness was vastly improved (at the cost of image quality). Wasn't perfect, but better at least.
Liberty should have worked with Youtube, Netflix, or Amazon for this service. Streaming is the future, so well worth the investment to have a much better product.

r101

Zynerji wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 17:38
Liberty should have worked with Youtube, Netflix, or Amazon for this service. Streaming is the future, so well worth the investment to have a much better product.
Exactly!

I do that for living, stream stuff from anywhere to anyone on any device for 10+ years now. There were at least 5 ways for them to do that properly, but from what I saw at Amsterdam IBC show, Liberty bought some Polish company and gave them the job.

And then, they started developing the software which still to me does not look finished at all, on a CDN (Content Delivery Network) that is still away from being fully functional. With that kind of money involved, that should not have happened.

Bar the other ways of doing it, as you said they could've signed 3-4 year deal with Amazon, for example (they have both the CDN and platform to encode, protect and monetize the content). During that time they could have worked on whatever they need to achieve with their own product and get the time to actually do it without pressure, and without ruining our experience watching something that we payed for.

Us viewers - all we need is the high quality video (currently long way away from what it should be) with no stutter on easy to use apps. And do Smart TV apps, why do I have to use my PC.

Mauler

Moctecus wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 14:13
nevill3 wrote:
I wonder how reliable gpfans website is for breaking news. A potential deal to allow the UK fans access to the full OTT service would be welcomed by many many fans especially if it was at last years prices $27 dollars for the year in the USA £20 in the UK
F1 TV Access is £2.29 a month, or £17.99 year in the UK, where it's been available since day 1 of F1 TV. It, however, is not the full OTT service. It only gives on-demand access to previous races and no live coverage. For the full streaming service you need F1 TV Pro, which costs the equivalent of around £6 a month or £55-60 a year throughout Europe.
F1 TV Pro will never be available as an alternative to Sky in the UK as long as Sky have their exclusive rights. The only realistic possibility is the subscription being offered on their Sky Q service and there's been some rumours that might be happening. Then you'd be able to buy F1 TV Pro in the UK, but you'd still have to pay for a Sky Q subscription on top of that. It would supplement a Sky subscription for the enthusiast F1 fan with extra features and content, not replace it.
Sky also have rights for WWE PPVs in the UK but the WWE network is also available in the UK too so in theory there is no reason why we can't have both

marmer

Mauler wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 15:09
Moctecus wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 14:13
nevill3 wrote:
I wonder how reliable gpfans website is for breaking news. A potential deal to allow the UK fans access to the full OTT service would be welcomed by many many fans especially if it was at last years prices $27 dollars for the year in the USA £20 in the UK
Sky also have rights for WWE PPVs in the UK but the WWE network is also available in the UK too so in theory there is no reason why we can't have both
WWE planned the network longer than liberty did actually it's also restricted in the UK we don't get the current raw or snack down at least we didn't when I last had it they are about 4 weeks behind.

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

gandharva

I'm sure I won't be back on Sky. Too expensive compared to F1TV. Also the way they treated their customers when they pulled out of F1 was terrible. The only thing I hope for is that F1TV gets the commentators from Sky.

Juzh

For anyone considering subbing to f1 tv apparently you can use "F1TV50" for a 50% off. Not sure how long this will work.

ivanlesk

Juzh wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 13:21
For anyone considering subbing to f1 tv apparently you can use "F1TV50" for a 50% off. Not sure how long this will work.
Apparetly till 17.2