2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Capharol

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

These Camo livery is just to hide some Things better (mostly small stuff) so others can't see what one had for ideas, RB did it the same last year

Manoah2u

i personally don't think it's that functional, really.

the good eyes, let's take guys like newey for example, who know how stuff works, will only have to wait when the car exits or returns to their stall and look at important parts and see what's going on. as for photography, it doesn't do that much either. yes it slightly hides some curves around the sidepods but that's really about it. as for the rest, there's nothing that a little enhancing, brightening and following outlines won't fix. it just takes an hour or so of photoshop skills and you're there.

hence i personally believe it has much more to do with hyping rather than anything else.

many times, even when cars are in their full livery testing, it's even hard to make out all the curves and shapes. look at how those complicated bargeboards of noawadays are obstructing views behind. yet at the same time, all you need is a few angles and you can figure stuff out.

if you'd ask me, i think teams would do better by creating flowviz that is transparant and only lights up when you light an UV light on it or through an UV filter. but then youd also make it unneccesary more difficult for yourself too, so, what's the use.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 17:03
i personally don't think it's that functional, really.

the good eyes, let's take guys like newey for example, who know how stuff works, will only have to wait when the car exits or returns to their stall and look at important parts and see what's going on. as for photography, it doesn't do that much either. yes it slightly hides some curves around the sidepods but that's really about it. as for the rest, there's nothing that a little enhancing, brightening and following outlines won't fix. it just takes an hour or so of photoshop skills and you're there.

hence i personally believe it has much more to do with hyping rather than anything else.

many times, even when cars are in their full livery testing, it's even hard to make out all the curves and shapes. look at how those complicated bargeboards of noawadays are obstructing views behind. yet at the same time, all you need is a few angles and you can figure stuff out.

if you'd ask me, i think teams would do better by creating flowviz that is transparant and only lights up when you light an UV light on it or through an UV filter. but then youd also make it unneccesary more difficult for yourself too, so, what's the use.
Anyone interested will have a paintbox easily capable of manipulating colour and pattern, so it is to get a little more talk on social media.

Me, I'm the one person (apparently) in the world who does not give a hoot about all this new make up, i think the cars should keep the same colours, allowing for sponsors.
We do not look to the Olympics wondering what colour vests the teams will use, we know who they are.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

The cars stay the same colour but allow for sponsors. If Sauber were white, and Pepsi said we will sponsor you 25mill a year but we want the car blue, then what happens ? Pepsi walk away ? The cars have to change, just like the vest in the Olympics do.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 21:28
The cars stay the same colour but allow for sponsors. If Sauber were white, and Pepsi said we will sponsor you 25mill a year but we want the car blue, then what happens ? Pepsi walk away ? The cars have to change, just like the vest in the Olympics do.

No, they go with pepsi of course. What I can not follow is people not being able to sleep for weeks wondering what colour red the Ferrari will be or how silver the Merc.

If thats what some want, good luck to them, its the enjoyment. I am talking of personal views and not being a party pooper.

If ferrari are any colour bit red, and Merc any colour except silver etc, there should be a reason behind it, as there will be for Alfa. Otherwise, I really do not follow the reason, but don't let me spoil other peoples enjoyment.

Edit, as I have stated, I am obviously a minority. Possibly the only person in the world. :D

Jolle

Special cameo or dazzle painting for testing is pure for markering, to get some extra attention. "in the good old days" when testing was really just testing, most cars were even unpainted. With modern tech I think it's quite possible and not too expensive to 3D scan a rivals car while it's moving on track, obstructed paint or not.

Old fashion team/country colours would be nice, but not really of these times. The few teams that still use their original colours have more to do with their main sponsor :P for Mercedes that is Daimler and Ferrari with, well... Ferrari.... and McLaren should be green... not orange. It would mean a lot of green cars on track actually.

for the right colours:
Mercedes (GER): while or silver, red numbers
Ferrari, Toro Rosso: (IT): red, white numbers
RedBull (AUT): Blue, black on white numbers
Sauber/Alfa (SWI): Red, White bonnet and black numbers
Renault (Fra): Bleu, white numbers
McLaren, Racing Point, Williams GB: Green, white numbers
HAAS (USA), White, blue stripes and blue numbers.

Looking at the list, Hamilton's car is spot on, The Ferrari's are still correct as well and RedBull isn't far off. And if the new Alfa team will paint their car red with a white airbox, that will be pretty close too! McLaren just should move the team's licence to The Netherlands (not even a bad idea with Brexit? :P) and they look good in orange!

TAG

Always enjoy this kind of back end insight of the business. James Allison here with a great summary of the birth and delivery of an F1 car.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 23:20
Special cameo or dazzle painting for testing is pure for markering, to get some extra attention. "in the good old days" when testing was really just testing, most cars were even unpainted. With modern tech I think it's quite possible and not too expensive to 3D scan a rivals car while it's moving on track, obstructed paint or not.

Old fashion team/country colours would be nice, but not really of these times. The few teams that still use their original colours have more to do with their main sponsor :P for Mercedes that is Daimler and Ferrari with, well... Ferrari.... and McLaren should be green... not orange. It would mean a lot of green cars on track actually.

for the right colours:

Looking at the list, Hamilton's car is spot on, The Ferrari's are still correct as well and RedBull isn't far off. And if the new Alfa team will paint their car red with a white airbox, that will be pretty close too! McLaren just should move the team's licence to The Netherlands (not even a bad idea with Brexit? :P) and they look good in orange!

Ah yes. I am also the only brit who does not like racing green :twisted:

Zynerji

Seeing Ferrari in yellow for testing might be something worth seeing!

GrandAxe

My personal preference is for the previous colour scheme. The camo is ok for testing - nothing more. But maybe I'm boring, who knows.

The camo is striking, but it can only fool the eyes, not technology.
Other teams can simply photograph the cars using filters for infrared and other wavelengths to cut out the camouflage; or use a structured light camera like the kinect etc to get a depth map.

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 00:29
Jolle wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 23:20

for the right colours:

No, I'm with you there. At least on F1 cars.

Looks good on a classic Mini or E-type though!! 😝
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

marmer

GrandAxe wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 04:20
My personal preference is for the previous colour scheme. The camo is ok for testing - nothing more. But maybe I'm boring, who knows.

The camo is striking, but it can only fool the eyes, not technology.
Other teams can simply photograph the cars using filters for infrared and other wavelengths to cut out the camouflage; or use a structured light camera like the kinect etc to get a depth map.
Perhaps it's just a method of making you look at the paintwork assuming something clever is being done with the aero when in actual fact they are using it as a cover for some clever suspension or the like

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:

Part of the problem is that there is no "British Racing Green" colour. It doesn't have a colour code that you can punch in and replicate. Different cars / teams over the years have had variations of green and some combinations work better than others. Of course, it's really "Irish Racing Green" as it was chosen to honour Ireland where the 1903 Gordon Bennet race was held - racing being illegal in England at the time.

These are all "British Racing Green". I rather like the modern interpretation on the DBR9.

I'd like to see the WO10 in the green used on the DBR9. That would be a nice thing, in my view, and would honour the fact that the Mercedes team is British in everything but title.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 10:33
Big Tea wrote:

Part of the problem is that there is no "British Racing Green" colour. It doesn't have a colour code that you can punch in and replicate. Different cars / teams over the years have had variations of green and some combinations work better than others. Of course, it's really "Irish Racing Green" as it was chosen to honour Ireland where the 1903 Gordon Bennet race was held - racing being illegal in England at the time.

These are all "British Racing Green". I rather like the modern interpretation on the DBR9.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 777%29.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... XKD403.JPG
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... n_DBR9.jpg

I'd like to see the WO10 in the green used on the DBR9. That would be a nice thing, in my view, and would honour the fact that the Mercedes team is British in everything but title.
well, that, and offcourse Toto Wolff is british. Ah no, he's austrian.
Lauda atleast is british. Ah no, he's austrian too.
Ok ok, so the engine is british since it's from brixworth. Oh wait, it's essentially Ilmor, Mario Illien's brainchild, so that would make it swiss? It's owned by Mercedes-Benz though.
Good, their title sponsor is British. Ok, no, that's malaysian.

I don't see that much that it is 'all british'.
Given, it's not all that german either.

But to be honest, isn't nearly every team anything but that they claim to be?

Ferrari is pretty much Italian, allright.
AlfaRomeo isn't though, they're essentially Sauber thus Swiss.
But funny enough, that same would go for BMW in their BMW sauber time.
is Haas american or Anglo-American, having a base in both countries?
How french is Renault? based in enstone?
How dutch is Verstappen?

Just stick to what the team claims it is. That should be enough.
Mercedes claims to be german - well, Merc themselves are obviously - so just leave it there.

There's no british team around anyway that only has british drivers, has british personel, and has british material.
Lotus with their lotus 49 was pretty much all british. But those days are long gone.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 14:32

well, that, and offcourse Toto Wolff is british. Ah no, he's austrian.
Lauda atleast is british. Ah no, he's austrian too.
Ok ok, so the engine is british since it's from brixworth. Oh wait, it's essentially Ilmor, Mario Illien's brainchild, so that would make it swiss? It's owned by Mercedes-Benz though.
A huge percentage of the people who design and build the cars are British. The factories are both in Britain. Much like RedBull. STR is, at least, in Italy and mostly staffed by Italians as is Ferrari.

Oh, and Ilmor wasn't just Illien. It was also Paul Morgan who was British. They set it up together. That's why it's "Il" and "mor". Just like Cosworth was "Cos"tin and "Duck"worth. Cosworth is where Morgan and Illien met, funnily enough.

Anyway, next time I bump in to all of the British Mercedes engineers in the supermarket/shops of Brackley buying their lunches etc., I'l say hello to them in German. That'll show 'em! :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.