2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Capharol
21
User avatar
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:06 pm

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by Capharol » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:24 pm

These Camo livery is just to hide some Things better (mostly small stuff) so others can't see what one had for ideas, RB did it the same last year
Strive for continuous improvement, instead of perfection.

Manoah2u
368
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by Manoah2u » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:03 pm

i personally don't think it's that functional, really.

the good eyes, let's take guys like newey for example, who know how stuff works, will only have to wait when the car exits or returns to their stall and look at important parts and see what's going on. as for photography, it doesn't do that much either. yes it slightly hides some curves around the sidepods but that's really about it. as for the rest, there's nothing that a little enhancing, brightening and following outlines won't fix. it just takes an hour or so of photoshop skills and you're there.

hence i personally believe it has much more to do with hyping rather than anything else.

many times, even when cars are in their full livery testing, it's even hard to make out all the curves and shapes. look at how those complicated bargeboards of noawadays are obstructing views behind. yet at the same time, all you need is a few angles and you can figure stuff out.

if you'd ask me, i think teams would do better by creating flowviz that is transparant and only lights up when you light an UV light on it or through an UV filter. but then youd also make it unneccesary more difficult for yourself too, so, what's the use.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

Big Tea
57
User avatar
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by Big Tea » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:55 pm

Manoah2u wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:03 pm
i personally don't think it's that functional, really.

the good eyes, let's take guys like newey for example, who know how stuff works, will only have to wait when the car exits or returns to their stall and look at important parts and see what's going on. as for photography, it doesn't do that much either. yes it slightly hides some curves around the sidepods but that's really about it. as for the rest, there's nothing that a little enhancing, brightening and following outlines won't fix. it just takes an hour or so of photoshop skills and you're there.

hence i personally believe it has much more to do with hyping rather than anything else.

many times, even when cars are in their full livery testing, it's even hard to make out all the curves and shapes. look at how those complicated bargeboards of noawadays are obstructing views behind. yet at the same time, all you need is a few angles and you can figure stuff out.

if you'd ask me, i think teams would do better by creating flowviz that is transparant and only lights up when you light an UV light on it or through an UV filter. but then youd also make it unneccesary more difficult for yourself too, so, what's the use.
Anyone interested will have a paintbox easily capable of manipulating colour and pattern, so it is to get a little more talk on social media.

Me, I'm the one person (apparently) in the world who does not give a hoot about all this new make up, i think the cars should keep the same colours, allowing for sponsors.
We do not look to the Olympics wondering what colour vests the teams will use, we know who they are.
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

NathanOlder
114
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by NathanOlder » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 pm

The cars stay the same colour but allow for sponsors. If Sauber were white, and Pepsi said we will sponsor you 25mill a year but we want the car blue, then what happens ? Pepsi walk away ? The cars have to change, just like the vest in the Olympics do.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

Does anyone play F1 2019 on Ps4, Now setting up a league at

https://rapidpixelracing.com

Big Tea
57
User avatar
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by Big Tea » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:56 pm

NathanOlder wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 pm
The cars stay the same colour but allow for sponsors. If Sauber were white, and Pepsi said we will sponsor you 25mill a year but we want the car blue, then what happens ? Pepsi walk away ? The cars have to change, just like the vest in the Olympics do.

No, they go with pepsi of course. What I can not follow is people not being able to sleep for weeks wondering what colour red the Ferrari will be or how silver the Merc.

If thats what some want, good luck to them, its the enjoyment. I am talking of personal views and not being a party pooper.

If ferrari are any colour bit red, and Merc any colour except silver etc, there should be a reason behind it, as there will be for Alfa. Otherwise, I really do not follow the reason, but don't let me spoil other peoples enjoyment.

Edit, as I have stated, I am obviously a minority. Possibly the only person in the world. :D
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

Jolle
153
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by Jolle » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 pm

Special cameo or dazzle painting for testing is pure for markering, to get some extra attention. "in the good old days" when testing was really just testing, most cars were even unpainted. With modern tech I think it's quite possible and not too expensive to 3D scan a rivals car while it's moving on track, obstructed paint or not.

Old fashion team/country colours would be nice, but not really of these times. The few teams that still use their original colours have more to do with their main sponsor :P for Mercedes that is Daimler and Ferrari with, well... Ferrari.... and McLaren should be green... not orange. It would mean a lot of green cars on track actually.

for the right colours:
Mercedes (GER): while or silver, red numbers
Ferrari, Toro Rosso: (IT): red, white numbers
RedBull (AUT): Blue, black on white numbers
Sauber/Alfa (SWI): Red, White bonnet and black numbers
Renault (Fra): Bleu, white numbers
McLaren, Racing Point, Williams GB: Green, white numbers
HAAS (USA), White, blue stripes and blue numbers.

Looking at the list, Hamilton's car is spot on, The Ferrari's are still correct as well and RedBull isn't far off. And if the new Alfa team will paint their car red with a white airbox, that will be pretty close too! McLaren just should move the team's licence to The Netherlands (not even a bad idea with Brexit? :P) and they look good in orange!

TAG
100
User avatar
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: in a good place

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by TAG » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 pm

Always enjoy this kind of back end insight of the business. James Allison here with a great summary of the birth and delivery of an F1 car.

Countdown to 91: 10 more victories ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Big Tea
57
User avatar
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by Big Tea » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:29 pm

Jolle wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 pm
Special cameo or dazzle painting for testing is pure for markering, to get some extra attention. "in the good old days" when testing was really just testing, most cars were even unpainted. With modern tech I think it's quite possible and not too expensive to 3D scan a rivals car while it's moving on track, obstructed paint or not.

Old fashion team/country colours would be nice, but not really of these times. The few teams that still use their original colours have more to do with their main sponsor :P for Mercedes that is Daimler and Ferrari with, well... Ferrari.... and McLaren should be green... not orange. It would mean a lot of green cars on track actually.

for the right colours:
Mercedes (GER): while or silver, red numbers
Ferrari, Toro Rosso: (IT): red, white numbers
RedBull (AUT): Blue, black on white numbers
Sauber/Alfa (SWI): Red, White bonnet and black numbers
Renault (Fra): Bleu, white numbers
McLaren, Racing Point, Williams GB: Green, white numbers
HAAS (USA), White, blue stripes and blue numbers.

Looking at the list, Hamilton's car is spot on, The Ferrari's are still correct as well and RedBull isn't far off. And if the new Alfa team will paint their car red with a white airbox, that will be pretty close too! McLaren just should move the team's licence to The Netherlands (not even a bad idea with Brexit? :P) and they look good in orange!

Ah yes. I am also the only brit who does not like racing green :twisted:
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

Zynerji
60
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by Zynerji » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:40 am

Seeing Ferrari in yellow for testing might be something worth seeing!

GrandAxe
19
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by GrandAxe » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:20 am

My personal preference is for the previous colour scheme. The camo is ok for testing - nothing more. But maybe I'm boring, who knows.

The camo is striking, but it can only fool the eyes, not technology.
Other teams can simply photograph the cars using filters for infrared and other wavelengths to cut out the camouflage; or use a structured light camera like the kinect etc to get a depth map.

adrianjordan
48
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:34 am
Location: West Yorkshire, England

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by adrianjordan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:23 am

Big Tea wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:29 pm
Jolle wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 pm
Special cameo or dazzle painting for testing is pure for markering, to get some extra attention. "in the good old days" when testing was really just testing, most cars were even unpainted. With modern tech I think it's quite possible and not too expensive to 3D scan a rivals car while it's moving on track, obstructed paint or not.

Old fashion team/country colours would be nice, but not really of these times. The few teams that still use their original colours have more to do with their main sponsor :P for Mercedes that is Daimler and Ferrari with, well... Ferrari.... and McLaren should be green... not orange. It would mean a lot of green cars on track actually.

for the right colours:
Mercedes (GER): while or silver, red numbers
Ferrari, Toro Rosso: (IT): red, white numbers
RedBull (AUT): Blue, black on white numbers
Sauber/Alfa (SWI): Red, White bonnet and black numbers
Renault (Fra): Bleu, white numbers
McLaren, Racing Point, Williams GB: Green, white numbers
HAAS (USA), White, blue stripes and blue numbers.

Looking at the list, Hamilton's car is spot on, The Ferrari's are still correct as well and RedBull isn't far off. And if the new Alfa team will paint their car red with a white airbox, that will be pretty close too! McLaren just should move the team's licence to The Netherlands (not even a bad idea with Brexit? :P) and they look good in orange!

Ah yes. I am also the only brit who does not like racing green :twisted:
No, I'm with you there. At least on F1 cars.

Looks good on a classic Mini or E-type though!! 😝
In 2007 I had the chance to go to a meet-and-greet with an F1 test driver. I decided not to as I didn't think he'd even amount to much...he was the BMW Sauber test driver and his name was Sebastian Vettel...

marmer
28
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:48 am

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by marmer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:05 am

GrandAxe wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:20 am
My personal preference is for the previous colour scheme. The camo is ok for testing - nothing more. But maybe I'm boring, who knows.

The camo is striking, but it can only fool the eyes, not technology.
Other teams can simply photograph the cars using filters for infrared and other wavelengths to cut out the camouflage; or use a structured light camera like the kinect etc to get a depth map.
Perhaps it's just a method of making you look at the paintwork assuming something clever is being done with the aero when in actual fact they are using it as a cover for some clever suspension or the like

Just_a_fan
454
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by Just_a_fan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:33 am

Big Tea wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:29 pm

Ah yes. I am also the only brit who does not like racing green :twisted:
Part of the problem is that there is no "British Racing Green" colour. It doesn't have a colour code that you can punch in and replicate. Different cars / teams over the years have had variations of green and some combinations work better than others. Of course, it's really "Irish Racing Green" as it was chosen to honour Ireland where the 1903 Gordon Bennet race was held - racing being illegal in England at the time.

These are all "British Racing Green". I rather like the modern interpretation on the DBR9.

Image
Image
Image

I'd like to see the WO10 in the green used on the DBR9. That would be a nice thing, in my view, and would honour the fact that the Mercedes team is British in everything but title.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

Manoah2u
368
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by Manoah2u » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:32 pm

Just_a_fan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:33 am
Big Tea wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:29 pm

Ah yes. I am also the only brit who does not like racing green :twisted:
Part of the problem is that there is no "British Racing Green" colour. It doesn't have a colour code that you can punch in and replicate. Different cars / teams over the years have had variations of green and some combinations work better than others. Of course, it's really "Irish Racing Green" as it was chosen to honour Ireland where the 1903 Gordon Bennet race was held - racing being illegal in England at the time.

These are all "British Racing Green". I rather like the modern interpretation on the DBR9.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 777%29.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... XKD403.JPG
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... n_DBR9.jpg

I'd like to see the WO10 in the green used on the DBR9. That would be a nice thing, in my view, and would honour the fact that the Mercedes team is British in everything but title.
well, that, and offcourse Toto Wolff is british. Ah no, he's austrian.
Lauda atleast is british. Ah no, he's austrian too.
Ok ok, so the engine is british since it's from brixworth. Oh wait, it's essentially Ilmor, Mario Illien's brainchild, so that would make it swiss? It's owned by Mercedes-Benz though.
Good, their title sponsor is British. Ok, no, that's malaysian.

I don't see that much that it is 'all british'.
Given, it's not all that german either.

But to be honest, isn't nearly every team anything but that they claim to be?

Ferrari is pretty much Italian, allright.
AlfaRomeo isn't though, they're essentially Sauber thus Swiss.
But funny enough, that same would go for BMW in their BMW sauber time.
is Haas american or Anglo-American, having a base in both countries?
How french is Renault? based in enstone?
How dutch is Verstappen?

Just stick to what the team claims it is. That should be enough.
Mercedes claims to be german - well, Merc themselves are obviously - so just leave it there.

There's no british team around anyway that only has british drivers, has british personel, and has british material.
Lotus with their lotus 49 was pretty much all british. But those days are long gone.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

Just_a_fan
454
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Post by Just_a_fan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:40 pm

Manoah2u wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:32 pm

well, that, and offcourse Toto Wolff is british. Ah no, he's austrian.
Lauda atleast is british. Ah no, he's austrian too.
Ok ok, so the engine is british since it's from brixworth. Oh wait, it's essentially Ilmor, Mario Illien's brainchild, so that would make it swiss? It's owned by Mercedes-Benz though.
A huge percentage of the people who design and build the cars are British. The factories are both in Britain. Much like RedBull. STR is, at least, in Italy and mostly staffed by Italians as is Ferrari.

Oh, and Ilmor wasn't just Illien. It was also Paul Morgan who was British. They set it up together. That's why it's "Il" and "mor". Just like Cosworth was "Cos"tin and "Duck"worth. Cosworth is where Morgan and Illien met, funnily enough.

Anyway, next time I bump in to all of the British Mercedes engineers in the supermarket/shops of Brackley buying their lunches etc., I'l say hello to them in German. That'll show 'em! :lol:
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"