Haas VF-19 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316

Re: Haas VF-19 Ferrari

Interested in particular by:

- no top opening for the sidepod cooling inlet
- big shark fin, meaning less packaging space taken up by components (might allude to longer car)
- the stacked waste gates

These all hint at things Ferrari have done on the engine side - seems like they may have reduced cooling demands and very interesting to understand what the effect of the stackedwastegates is; the testing by Ferrari last year shows a significant and long lead development path, so unlikely to be trivial. Some kind of exhaust blowing effect you’d imagine, perhaps linked to the size and shape of the new rear wing.

Brake Horse Power

Isn't is just so simple that the stacked waste gates just improve some airflow under the wing and to the diffuser airflow?

I don't know how last years car was but it seems to have quite some undercut under the sidepods?

PhillipM

With the higher wing the stacked wastegates might have less individual effect than the side by side ones did, but the taller exhaust plume will help link it to the underside of the wing.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

f1316

Brake Horse Power wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 00:32
Isn't is just so simple that the stacked waste gates just improve some airflow under the wing and to the diffuser airflow?
I think if that were the case, they would have made the change in-season last year.

godlameroso

Strange they didn't exploit the larger retraction in the rear wing.
Saishū kōnā

marmer

Just on the new front wing end plate design with the half tunnel poking out slightly from the actual end plate.

It's quite thin and looks like it would shred tyres to me it is likely to be the first part of a wing to hit another car

PhillipM

godlameroso wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 16:26
Strange they didn't exploit the larger retraction in the rear wing.
I was expecting teams to go back to the old style larger secondary foils and using the primary as more of a flow conditioner given the extra 20mm of opening with DRS, but it seems not, for HAAS at least.

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

LM10

Nice analysis, thank you.

As seen on the picture, the Haas has a quite large rake and the article says that more teams are expected to follow a bigger rake route. That's interesting because here some people were saying that, on the contrary, low rake approach will likely be the way to go in 2019.

PhillipM

Launch cars always have lots of rake on, it looks better in the photos

Alok91

LM10 wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 23:19

As seen on the picture, the Haas has a quite large rake and the article says that more teams are expected to follow a bigger rake route. That's interesting because here some people were saying that, on the contrary, low rake approach will likely be the way to go in 2019.
The car has longer wheelbase and lower rake because, its harder to seal floor thanks to loss of outwash from front wing.

MtthsMlw

I'm eager to see if this year's stacked wastegates are arranged like the ones Ferrari tested last year with airflow basically only going through the top one.

LM10

Alok91 wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 11:20
LM10 wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 23:19

The car has longer wheelbase and lower rake because, its harder to seal floor thanks to loss of outwash from front wing.
Where is this quote from?