Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Giando wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 15:01
I don't know guys...

I see two different degrees for those two (supposed) elements... but maybe it's just the low res picture.

The yellow line (push-rod) should continue down 'straight' below if that bulb was just an aero device.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2jg724x.png
I'm sure you can draw a straight line through the pushrod from the image you posted and this one below on the left:

But let's say you are right, and this thing is pivoting during wheel motion. What is the benefit as opposed to it being a straight line of force to the upright?
For Sure!!

Giando

Given the ‘extreme’ layout of the whole front W10’s suspension i would say that the reason could be both mechanical and aerodynamical... possibly moving backwards the ‘push’ point in accordance with the geometry of the upper whihsbone could give some benefit (don’t ask me which ones btw ahaha) and aswell moving the entire push-rod backwards of a few inches could create a better airflow and also more space to design the brake intakes, remembering the rules have changed in that area

but of course i am just making hypotesis!

PhillipM
PhillipM

It would change the ride height of the car as steering lock is applied - it's nothing new, we've been here before, Mclaren had to change their front suspension when the FIA put a limit on it. It just looks like Merc are skirting right to the limit with it.

zibby43
zibby43

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 16:14
mantikos wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 16:12
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 16:02

I wouldn’t say so since they have gone the exact opposite route with an inwash concept.
There is no inwash
Then why do the endplates bend inwards?
Scarbs and Mark Hughes both think Merc found a clever way of creating an effect that produces even more outwash by shaping the end plates like that. The Scarbs video is in this thread.

Besides, with how wide the front wings are, there’s no way the end plates could be used for inwash.

ScrewCaptain27

zibby43 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 19:25
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
mantikos wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 16:12

There is no inwash
Scarbs and Mark Hughes both think Merc found a clever way of creating an effect that produces even more outwash by shaping the end plates like that. The Scarbs video is in this thread.

Besides, with how wide the front wings are, there’s no way the end plates could be used for inwash.
Ok, got it. Let’s see if and how it works, CFD on it would definitely be interesting to see.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

zibby43
zibby43

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 19:50
zibby43 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 19:25
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:

Ok, got it. Let’s see if and how it works, CFD on it would definitely be interesting to see.
Would love to see that as well.

With how critical the flow going around and outside the front tire is this year (the middle flow around the barge boards will be affected by the reg. changes to this area), if Merc really have found a way to energize the outwash effect with their FW construction, that will help them everywhere else.

Giando

RZS10

tl:dr in english?

Giando

“Sorpresa Mercedes: c'è un doppio bracket nella sospensione anteriore della W10?”

Surprise from Mercedes: is there a double bracket in the front suspension of the W10?

F1Fan2018
F1Fan2018

RZS10 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 22:49
tl:dr in english?
google translate but some of it hasnt translated well but think you can get most of it.

The technical challenge began between Ferrari SF90 and Mercedes W10. The single-seater of the Cavallino presented today at Fiorano has made school with regard to the very narrow bellies with the mouths of very small radiators, in search of aerodynamic exasperation that privileged efficiency with a reduction of resistance to progress.

La Rossa, however, in spite of other cars like the same Alfa Romeo C38 curated by Simone Resta and Luca Furbatto, not to mention McLaren, has not focused on a front suspension too innovative as, instead, did the Mercedes.

On the SF90 technicians have limited themselves to raising the lower triangle to favor a cleaner flow of flows, in the partial attempt to recover a part of the front aerodynamic load with the adoption of the very simplified front wing.

The silver arrow, on the other hand, has retained the bracket that emerges from the hub door to lift the upper triangle, maintaining a concept that has already given its results on the W09 world champion, after it was first seen on the car 2017: so the arm of the Brackley single-seater is perfectly in line with the air intakes of the bellies working as a flow diverter but with an indisputably smaller section compared to that of the Red.

In Maranello he experimented with this solution, but they preferred to leave it aside for the complicated realization that requires an increase in weight. In short, Cardile and associates considered that the aerodynamic advantage was not worth the mass increase.

Too bad that Mercedes, however, has introduced a second pivot that serves to anchor the strut of the push rod, to hide behind the small air intake brakes. With the abolition of the very complicated 2018 brake ducts, engineers try to restore the lost load with new solutions, even if the "finger" seems something very similar to that which the FIA ​​had banned at the beginning of last year at Ferrari to avoid that you could lower the car when cornering with the steering turned.

zac510
zac510

To me that bulb looks a lot more like a shroud over a sensor than some kind of joint or knuckle.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Sierra117 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 04:46
GrandAxe wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 02:29
Sierra117 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 19:29

Could there be some influence on the audio from air exiting the exhaust strip here? Camera is mounted right on top.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/7-GCa7D ... ly03yA.png
The image isn't displaying. Your server says "403 Forbidden".
Guess I should choose a better host.
https://i.imgur.com/btRS1iB.png

It could be just the lower speed and lack of pressure being put on the engine. Going faster and pushing naturally would push out exhaust gases faster and more "neatly" ... idk just a thought lel.
Its all quite possible. We should get a much better idea this week though; if there's nothing to special or if the Merc is puffing out gases on gear change.

zibby43
zibby43

Wish I could find a larger, higher-res version of this shot.

A pretty fantastic overhead shot of the W10:

https://twitter.com/ValtteriBottas/stat ... 5026949120

Higher-res shot courtesy of @Godius

[media]ImageVB_W10_Launch_Overhead by Andrew R., on Flickr[/media]
Last edited by zibby43 on 18 Feb 2019, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

foneFanatiq

That’s a nice shot =P~

PlatinumZealot

Bump steer and wheel scrub would be crazy if it were a double joint.

One of things i focused on doing when i was doing my chassis design on this very site (if u can find that thread) was trying to keep the bump steer to a minimum for good balance over curbs and such. Also to reduce the inverse effwct when you steer the car and get a massive ride height change.

With the base of the push rod joined to a big swinging arm off the hub it is hard to see how they avoid massive bump steer unless they reeeally wanted the effect of lowering the ride height when the car is steered either way.

The other side of the argument that it is an aero fairing could aslo be the case. But the bulb looks eerily like a shroud for a rod end bearing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏