Who still hates the halo?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
rjsa

Re: Who still hates the halo?

I’ve quit watching. The proverbial straw.

Ringleheim

NtsParadize wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:09
The halo is horrible, it doesn't belong in F1 in my opinion. It wouldn't have saved Leclerc, nor Bianchi, and it trapped Hulkenberg.
I was reflecting on this the last few days, as I was studying some of the new car designs.

I agree the halo is horrible. What's more, this entire era of F1 car design is horrible. The cars have never looked more awkward or ill-proportioned, with too many odd little aerodynamic devices. The fundamental proportions of the car are all wrong everywhere.

Remember when F1 cars were technical marvels, and pretty to look at?

strad

I would answer that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You might think they are ugly but to an aerodynamicist it might be beautiful.
I am not fond of all the aero devices but from a the other side I can see that they might be considered quite the opposite of how I see them.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

gastonmazzacane

I think even halo would look nice, If a whole car would be redesigned to ''fit'' it better :)

strad

Looking back over all these years of F1 racing and all the accidents and deaths I see almost none other than Senna that would have been saved by the HALO.
For the longest time the biggest fear was fire not flying objects.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Demetrius

I still hate the Halo, but the recent years make me realize that safety must come before aesthetics.

Also, life has been so hard lately that I feel that it does not make sense to worry so much and let a detail ruin the sport I love.

Let's just enjoy the races.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Tsk... yeeeeahhhhhhhhh nah... I still think of this clip when I see the Halo...

"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

AJI
AJI

Ringleheim wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 13:11
NtsParadize wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:09
The halo is horrible, it doesn't belong in F1 in my opinion....
I was reflecting on this the last few days, as I was studying some of the new car designs.

I agree the halo is horrible. What's more, this entire era of F1 car design is horrible. The cars have never looked more awkward or ill-proportioned, with too many odd little aerodynamic devices. The fundamental proportions of the car are all wrong everywhere.

Absolutely. Ugliest era of F1 cars ever and halo is just the icing on the cake.
So, in answer to the original question, yes, I still hate the halo and I don't really 'hate' anyone or anything.
I'm looking forward to 2021 so we can put this aesthetically absurd period of F1 behind us.

denisjp

It doesn't look good, and I don't like it. But last year with Leclerc and a crash in F2 it was proved to be useful. Apart from Surtees,I recall a crash between Schumacher and another driver in Abu Dhabi, where the other car just got over Schumacher's missing his head by a matter of centimeters.
Not the best looking solution, but I've come to accept it.

Inviato dal mio SM-J530F utilizzando Tapatalk

wesley123

I don't think the comments of a 16 year old are a good counter argument.

And before anyone starts correcting me; I am aware he isn't 16 year old, but he sure does act like one.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

nzjrs

I don't like it. The aesthetics and implementation do not meet the 'pinnacle of engineering' standards of F1.

Jolle

wesley123 wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 12:24
I don't think the comments of a 16 year old are a good counter argument.

And before anyone starts correcting me; I am aware he isn't 16 year old, but he sure does act like one.
Verstappen is protected, like Gilles Villeneuve before him by his reality distortion field.

Ringleheim

strad wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 21:38
I would answer that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You might think they are ugly but to an aerodynamicist it might be beautiful.
I am not fond of all the aero devices but from a the other side I can see that they might be considered quite the opposite of how I see them.
Yes, but the fact that the aero devices are functional and add performance to the car has absolutely nothing to do with aesthetics. I agree beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't think a lot of people would suggest these 2019 cars are pretty to look at.

The issue is not whether an aerodynamicist would look at the car and find it beautiful! The issue is whether or not a designer or artist would look at the car and find it beautiful.

Development has frozen on so many aspects of these cars nowadays, the only thing left to do is explore aero gains....so F1 has turned into an exercise in perfecting aerodynamic performance on a purpose built race car, which benefits no one or any industry beyond the success of said race car.

It's shame, b/c all the money, thought, sweat, and manpower is going into "aero tweaking" these days, instead of say, innovation and development in the engines.

And on top of it, the cars look ugly. I'd love to see a freeze on aero rules and go back to open season on the power plants. That would be cool.

roon

Halo is barely noticable from above. Solution?

We're gonna need some drones/aircraft/satellites.

NtsParadize

santos wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 16:58
It would save Henry Surtees…

People that are against the halo, must be the ones that drive without seatbelt, and talking on the cellphone.
If the halo was so good, you wouldn't be defending it by attacking personally the people against it.