2019 performance speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
scheffers

Re: 2019 performance speculation

roon wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 20:29
scheffers wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:51
Ah, nice, a speculation topic!

To feed the discussion here, found an interessting quote from Gasly yesterday. As I see it he claims the Honda in the TR already has been opened up a bit more than the RB one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIvyr7TpB0A
If this is the case how do RB work out the management of this? Are TR told by corporate that they'll act as a season long testing platform? Pushing the Honda PU to find it's limits so that RB main do not have to.
Jup... https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2019 ... penalties/

NathanOlder

HJKM wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 17:55
Here motorsport uses Pirelli to estimate and compared best laps, with every car adjusted to C5 tyres..

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pire ... g/4342194/
I thought we had this figured out as soon as the laps were happening. Then Pirelli announce it as if its something no one else could ever possibly know.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

HJKM

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 10:19
HJKM wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 17:55
Here motorsport uses Pirelli to estimate and compared best laps, with every car adjusted to C5 tyres..

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pire ... g/4342194/
I thought we had this figured out as soon as the laps were happening. Then Pirelli announce it as if its something no one else could ever possibly know.
Well, the internet (also f1tech) has been focused on the lap times, without taking this into account, and I did not see this mentioned in the forums here..

Futhermore it has only been a couple of days since Pirelli confirmed that their theoretical compound/time differences correlates with running
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pire ... s/4341913/

NathanOlder

Yeah I see. Although Pirelli know 0 about the fuel levels so its all kind of meaningless.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

HJKM

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 13:50
Yeah I see. Although Pirelli know 0 about the fuel levels so its all kind of meaningless.
You're right, but thats why it fits in this speculation thread ;)

btw Mark Hughes speculates differently

Position Team Lap time
1 Ferrari 1min 17.4sec
2= Red Bull and Mercedes 1min 17.8sec
4= Renault and Alfa Romeo 1min 18.5sec
6 McLaren 1min 18.6sec
7 Toro Rosso 1min 18.8sec
8 Haas 1min 19.1sec
9 Racing Point 1min 19.7sec
10 Williams 1min 21.5sec

FrukostScones

RB
FER
REN
MERC
SAUBER
HAAS
TR
MCL
RACING.
WILLIAMS
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

godlameroso

Reading the Alpha Romeo car thread a very interesting point was made regarding how different the two driver's steering wheels are. How many functions and settings have to be changed on the fly while driving the car, also driving around those settings if they're less than ideal. How much can these settings affect a driver's performance? Can a driver's level of understanding allow him to tailor settings, and thus steering wheels and functions to his liking to give him a performance advantage? It's a seldom described thing, nevertheless if one could quantify efficiency of driver inputs, and having the correct setting for each part of the track, I wonder where each driver stacks up. It's easy to tell in the team mate battles, but probably hard to even guesstimate between teams.
Saishū kōnā

i70q7m7ghw

As ever, it's very hard to read purely from testing times alone, but I think it probably looks something like this:

Ferrari/Mercedes - perhaps a slight edge to Ferrari here, but it all feels very similar to last year.
Red Bull - very hard to place them other than 3rd at the moment, they appear to be focusing on reliability.
Renault/Sauber/Torro Rosso/Haas/McLaren - the usual suspects still appear to be closely matched in this group, but perhaps McLaren has joined in?
Racing Point - They haven't looked great, they appear to be just on the back of the mid-field group.
Willams - sad to say they appear to be a very distant last.

FrukostScones

AMUS analysis and ranking after first week
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ste-woche/

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... e-woche%2F

FER
RB -0.200 (RB content with his FW design approach, no need for the SAUBER FW concept (but would be possible without hassles if needed.)
MERC -0.500 to 0.800 (unique "inwash" endplate and high outer elements raised some eyebrows, Merc apparently now testing other concept...)
Midfield : -1.000 to 1.600 (according to Merc calcs)
SAUBER (very happy with their (functioning) FW design)
HAAS
RENAULT
TORO ROSSO
RACING.
MCLAREN
WILLIAMS

with a grain of AMUS salt.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Starscreamer

*MERC (title)
*FER (title)
RBR
RENAULT
ALFA
HAAS
TORO ROSSO
McLaren
R Point
Williams

Mercedes & Ferrari voor the title. The rest no change
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Phil

I wouldnt be surprised if Ferrari has a great and strong start into the season while Mercedes is stuck tangling with the RedBulls more often then not. Bodes well for Ferrari if it turns out this way IMHO.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

bauc

Phil wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 15:17
I wouldnt be surprised if Ferrari has a great and strong start into the season while Mercedes is stuck tangling with the RedBulls more often then not. Bodes well for Ferrari if it turns out this way IMHO.
Yes I agree, if RBR or anyone else pulls points away from Mercedes, it will only benefit Ferrari on the long term. If we have 3 teams in the mix for race wins on regular basis, then this will be a good season to watch + the midfield battle is expected to be one of the closest in the last few years so [-o< for a good seson
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

selvam_e2002

I am not sure how you are deciding RBR ahead of Mercedes AMG? now way at all and please don't read about the test timings.

Ferrari was very strong last year test as well but in real time in race Mercedes AMG dominated and claimed both titles.

RBR will be between 7-10. I don't think they will make podium in 2019.

Wouter

selvam_e2002 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 16:27
RBR will be between 7-10. I don't think they will make podium in 2019.
Why do you think that? I am curious.
The Power of Dreams!

LostInTranslation

It would be a dream if, besides MB and SF and RB, there were some other teams competing for this season races.

I know it will not happen often, but I'm sure it will happen.

In this context, I am very confident about the work done by Simone Resta (former Ferrari chief designer) and Luca Furbatto (C38) and Eric Gandelin (C37) at Alfa Romeo team.

I hope they reach or get to some podium this season. I'm sure they will succeed.

After all, Alfa will have the rear end of the Red Car: power unit, gearbox and rear suspension. I'm not sure now they will have the third hydraulic element on the rear suspension, as Ferrari is rumored to have.

Here an old but very interesting interview of 21 September 2018 to Simone Resta.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/simon ... 9/3180808/