F1 V10 Intake Camshaft Spec, a closer look

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
peterg

Re: F1 V10 Intake Camshaft Spec, a closer look

Brian,

Do you have similar data for the exhaust cam? Would be interesting to understand how it's lift and duration compares to the intake camshaft.

Thx, very interesting set of articles on this engine.

Thx
Pete

AxelAkaDeezel

Brian.G wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 21:39

Intake valve starts to open at 63 degrees after TDC (''off seat'' on degree wheel - wheel turns clockwise)
Hello, Brian, Why does the intake opens AFTER TDC ? typing error ?

Thx

AxelAkaDeezel

Also is this the same engine as the one that has the gear with the small torsion bars inside (from your other post) ? if so, why do they use both the quill AND the gear together ?

Thanks

gruntguru

The quill shaft is a little torsion spring. It is there to shift the resonant frequency of the camshaft and drive system away from the normal operating frequency of the engine and eliminate oscillations which are both destructive and detrimental to the timing of the valve events.
je suis charlie

Brian.G

AxelAkaDeezel wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 02:30
Brian.G wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 21:39

Intake valve starts to open at 63 degrees after TDC (''off seat'' on degree wheel - wheel turns clockwise)
Hello, Brian, Why does the intake opens AFTER TDC ? typing error ?

Thx
If you read the first post the tdc marks have nothing to do with the lift points,

Regards,

Brian,
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will

Brian Coat

Not sure if this is useful ..

With measurements of the resolution posted, the accel curve is too noisy to be used for further dynamic benchmarking.

It would be interesting to estimate the input accelerations, forces, torques etc. ...

In my experience one would need to use an Adcole camshaft measuring machine to get decent results.

Even then it takes careful interpretation - all the lobes will be minutely different and you may be able to see the tiny effects of grinding machine vibration on the curve.

Most of the Adcoles in this country reside with ic engine developers and makers' QC departments. Many well known aftermarket cam grinders do not have one.

Polgain (ex Zephr) in Lowestoft will have one or more Adcoles, I expect.

Brian.G

Brian Coat wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 07:26
Not sure if this is useful ..

With measurements of the resolution posted, the accel curve is too noisy to be used for further dynamic benchmarking.

It would be interesting to estimate the input accelerations, forces, torques etc. ...

In my experience one would need to use an Adcole camshaft measuring machine to get decent results.

Even then it takes careful interpretation - all the lobes will be minutely different and you may be able to see the tiny effects of grinding machine vibration on the curve.

Most of the Adcoles in this country reside with ic engine developers and makers' QC departments. Many well known aftermarket cam grinders do not have one.

Polgain (ex Zephr) in Lowestoft will have one or more Adcoles, I expect.
Brian, agree graph and sizes posted are rough - but it gave a rough feel for the cam grind.

I do have a measuring machine mocked up using a rotary and linear encoder but I wont get around to checking cam in greater detail for some weeks.

Brian,
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will

coaster

Hello, I am hoping to convert the text to an asc2 text file point cloud.
To make an accurate cloud I need to add the base circle radius to the dail indicator readings from which I can produce a spline.
Would you please have the base circle diameter?