Williams FW42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Williams FW42

Car looks very macro detailed and unfinished, but they have they first couple races to refine things a bit. The fundamentals look ok, but the issue is the aero from what ive seen so far. Sidepods arent much improved, and i think that was always one of williams biggest weakness since 2010, they just make a poor job of mid body design.
For Sure!!

Lotus102

Re gearbox - back in 2014, the Williams FW36 was so underweight that they’d got past the point where placing ballast gave them an additional advantage. I remember Pat Symonds saying in F1 Racing that as a result of that, they’d started designing certain components heavier for greater reliability for 2015. Obviously at that point there was no advantage whatsoever in going for a lighter gearbox that had no other performance advantage. Since then we’ve had alterations to the regs that have made weight a bit more critical, but Williams has continued with a very short wheelbase car that makes weight less of a problem (I don’t know if wheelbase has crept up since, but in 2017 it was still the shortest car on the grid).

Then there’s the fact that a metal gearbox is MUCH quicker to manufacture. Which given Williams’ problems this week is probably no small factor in sticking with it.

As far as the sidepods go, I imagine this is an area that the design team gave a lot of attention to, given that Paddy identified it as something that was less than optimal on the car last year. As far as I can see the concept is similar but with some biggish differences in execution. On the FW41, the undercut continued all the way along the sidepod, while on the FW42 it fades out about halfway back and the top of the sidepod tucks down towards the floor. It looks to my untrained eye less demanding of the airflow and better promoting of downwash in the midsection to help feed the diffuser. I suspect that the biggest changes in that area will be internal, however, and not visible to us, given the severe cooling problems the FW41 suffered from all season.

I don’t entirely agree with the commentators saying the car looks ‘undercooked’. Evidently there’s more refinement to come, but me it looks like the least undercooked Williams since 2009, with some nice attention to detail and more focus on the area where the car has been lacking of late, such as in the bargeboard area.

ringo

Agreed. Undercooked isn't a problem at this stage. The ingredients are good. The car; from looking through the CFD eye in my forehead, has a base that seems like it's only the budget and time would limit it's development.
Last year's mclaren had fundamental issues as well as the fw41 that could not be resolved. Hopefully with Paddy's experience we have a car with a lot of potential.

No mention of the mercedes engine, but if mercedes say they have improved the cooling architecture, i am hoping this has carried over to the williams car.
For Sure!!

jagunx51

Morteza wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 16:27

Flatter mirror housing ? :?:

............!!!!

Coefficient

4 possible attachment points on the side of the tub perhaps for some aero part?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Sieper

I don't think you are allowed to have any bodywork in that area for 2019. Interesting spot though.

madly

From AMuS:

jagunx51

madly wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 12:56
From AMuS:

Morteza wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:42

Via @f1writers
IMHO, instead of using a bulky housing , Williams use thinner/flatter mirror housing to gain some aero advantages, just like motorcycle mirrors :?:

............!!!!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Nickel

I'm very much curious to see how the "third element" of the lower front wishbone attaches to the hub. The picture above comes close to showing it but the angle is still a bit oblique. It would seem to contravene the regulations but if it doesn't attach to the wheel hub and in fact attaches to the wishbone before it joins the hub then I suppose it would fall under "creative interpretations".

Also interested in the apparent flick on the outboard end of the upper front wing element. Seems different front anyone else.

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

roadie

The car is runnning an aero fairing on the upper surface of the halo, which appears to be held on partly by sticky tape:

Anyone know why the front suspension is so much more bulky than other teams running the raised wishbones?

The sidepods now echo the shape of the works Mercedes team:

roon

Coefficient wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 12:42
In previous seasons they've mounted testing hardware there. If not that, and if legal, I wonder if they would reuse a monocoque from last season.

DiogoBrand

roon wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 03:57
Coefficient wrote:
In previous seasons they've mounted testing hardware there. If not that, and if legal, I wonder if they would reuse a monocoque from last season.

https://www.thisisf1.com/wp-content/upl ... AArJDw.jpg

https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/S ... 149188.jpg
At first I tought so as well, and it would be legal to use the same monocoque since there are no rule changes like the addition of the Halo. But then I went looking to see if there were any aero bits attached there, and what I found is that the same attachment points were there last year, but they were also left blank.

Manoah2u

DiogoBrand wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 05:24
roon wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 03:57
Coefficient wrote:

https://www.thisisf1.com/wp-content/upl ... AArJDw.jpg

https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/S ... 149188.jpg
At first I tought so as well, and it would be legal to use the same monocoque since there are no rule changes like the addition of the Halo. But then I went looking to see if there were any aero bits attached there, and what I found is that the same attachment points were there last year, but they were also left blank.
https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... detail.jpg
so could that actually mean they're using the same monocoque design for a 3rd season now?
or even worse - could they be using the literal same monocoque for the 3rd season? so one that was made in 2017?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"