F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
etusch

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Jozsusz

Juzh wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 18:47
2019 testing fastest lap vs 2018 pole lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8qCECDbVFU

Hamilton probably gained like 1s on the straights, goes to show how much laptime there's still in reserve. Also this wasn't a very clean lap by vettel, left some tenths on the table.
He didn't gain 1 sec. And don't forget that the drag is bigger this year.

LM10

Jozsusz wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 23:18
Juzh wrote:

Hamilton probably gained like 1s on the straights, goes to show how much laptime there's still in reserve. Also this wasn't a very clean lap by vettel, left some tenths on the table.
He didn't gain 1 sec. And don't forget that the drag is bigger this year.
Maybe you shouldn’t forget that DRS effect is massive this year. So I’m not sure there is more drag on straights with DRS open.

Cedo

That's some crazy laptimes from Haas :o
Is that Glock?

Cedo

CriXus wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 21:22
Vettel's 1:16.221

https://streamable.com/deds7
Upshift to gear 7 before T9 :?:
Is that Glock?

nirvaand

Here is a race stint comparison of teams that did a race sim. All from day 3 or 4 from this week's testing. Ferrari and Mercedes still probably running conservative, so not the best representation but it does give a good idea of the relative pecking order. It's calculated as a cumulative gap against Leclerc. Pit stop delta I used was 20 seconds. (It's usually around 22 seconds in Spain) Since all teams apart from McLaren did 2 stops the pit stop delta is same for everyone, so it won't affect the gap. For McLaren, just add +2s to the final gap. Unfortunately no data on Renault or RBR. Didn't include Racing Point, because they're not really running their 2019 car. Williams were far too slow, so no point including them either.

And here are the raw lap times. (pit stop laps and traffic affected lap times have been removed)

Last edited by nirvaand on 03 Mar 2019, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

LM10

Juzh wrote:

Hamilton seems to be faster on the straights and Vettel in the corners.
Vettel is on the back foot going into turn 1, but almost on par at the end of turn 2.
If you stop right at the apex of turn 15, you can see Vettel being ahead, but at the end it’s Hamilton crossing the line first.

GrandAxe

TAG wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 17:09
GrandAxe wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 12:01
On the lighter side; Merc wins the naughty award for its new nose.
https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/ ... r1/025.jpg

Mercedes would rather you call it by its internal designation name, the bellend.
Hmm! 'Might account for why its long ... The wheelbase, I mean. :mrgreen:

GrandAxe

LM10 wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 01:06
Juzh wrote:

Hamilton seems to be faster on the straights and Vettel in the corners.
Vettel is on the back foot going into turn 1, but almost on par at the end of turn 2.
If you stop right at the apex of turn 15, you can see Vettel being ahead, but at the end it’s Hamilton crossing the line first.
This would indicate that there's even more downforce this year.

strad

Thanks for the video Zippy... Have to say Elvis doesn't look at all as I pictured him whilst reading his book.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

zibby43

strad wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 05:02
Thanks for the video Zippy... Have to say Elvis doesn't look at all as I pictured him whilst reading his book.
You are very welcome, strad! Glad you enjoyed it. :D

yelistener

2019 Testing Fastest Lap vs 2006 Alonso's Pole

2006 roughly 2.6s slower before turn 11 exit. However, circuit limit at some corners was extended quite a bit since 2017, due to the additional kerbs, which gave the new cars at least a 0.5s advantge.

Andres125sx

Capharol wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 20:25
Andres125sx wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 19:49
I must apologize beforehand, but I didn´t follow any testing but now I´m curious... but 140 pages are too much of a read.

May someone provide a short summary of the feelings for each team? At least the top ones. From the last threee pages I´ve just read it looks like Mercedes is again looking pretty strong, and RBR, despite Marko statements, seems to be far from them. McLaren look good surprisingly. Is this correct?
I'll try it to tell you it from my perspectiv, so all is objectiv and my own opinion:
Ferrari - Very good pace, especcially long run, short runs did look very strong aswell, both drivers very very strong
Mercedes - Long runs were very good aswell, they did a lot of sandbagging during the other testing days but HAM showed they can match Ferrari short run pace, HAM strong, Bottas was looking good but, in my opinion, not much improvement to last year.
Red Bull - was looking very good on 6 days of the 8, yesterday Gasly, again my opinion, screwed up badly for the whole team so that Verstappen only could do 29 laps today, Honda engine was very reliable and showed good pace in the speed traps
Renault - looked good aswell and for me are the 4th team on the grid, they still miss a bit of power, and will need to keep improving to stay that way, midfield teams are very close to eachother
ToroRosso - had a good pace and speed, car seems to be working very well, Albon and Kvyat are doing really well in the car, they're long run pace looked good aswell and are for me the 5th team on the grid although this will be depending on track and conditions because i guess the midfield will be even closer then last year
Alfa Romeo - looked strong aswell and can be some kind of suprise this year, strong long run and short run place, you can say they benefit from the expierence Räikkönnen has brought in, they will fight with TR and Renault.
McLaren - not really sure where they stand, the engine (renault) seems to be good, not sure if they have the aero package to be a real midfield-contender, maybe they can suprise me.

the others i can't really tell because i didn't had them really on my screen the only thing i can be sure of is ..... Willliams will be last.

Again this is my personl opinion

Capharol

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 12:58
Capharol wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 20:25
Andres125sx wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 19:49
I must apologize beforehand, but I didn´t follow any testing but now I´m curious... but 140 pages are too much of a read.

May someone provide a short summary of the feelings for each team? At least the top ones. From the last threee pages I´ve just read it looks like Mercedes is again looking pretty strong, and RBR, despite Marko statements, seems to be far from them. McLaren look good surprisingly. Is this correct?
I'll try it to tell you it from my perspectiv, so all is objectiv and my own opinion:
Ferrari - Very good pace, especcially long run, short runs did look very strong aswell, both drivers very very strong
Mercedes - Long runs were very good aswell, they did a lot of sandbagging during the other testing days but HAM showed they can match Ferrari short run pace, HAM strong, Bottas was looking good but, in my opinion, not much improvement to last year.
Red Bull - was looking very good on 6 days of the 8, yesterday Gasly, again my opinion, screwed up badly for the whole team so that Verstappen only could do 29 laps today, Honda engine was very reliable and showed good pace in the speed traps
Renault - looked good aswell and for me are the 4th team on the grid, they still miss a bit of power, and will need to keep improving to stay that way, midfield teams are very close to eachother
ToroRosso - had a good pace and speed, car seems to be working very well, Albon and Kvyat are doing really well in the car, they're long run pace looked good aswell and are for me the 5th team on the grid although this will be depending on track and conditions because i guess the midfield will be even closer then last year
Alfa Romeo - looked strong aswell and can be some kind of suprise this year, strong long run and short run place, you can say they benefit from the expierence Räikkönnen has brought in, they will fight with TR and Renault.
McLaren - not really sure where they stand, the engine (renault) seems to be good, not sure if they have the aero package to be a real midfield-contender, maybe they can suprise me.

the others i can't really tell because i didn't had them really on my screen the only thing i can be sure of is ..... Willliams will be last.

Again this is my personl opinion
Your welcome although I believe we have other users with more insight and technical knowhow, and they could tell you more precise how it stands

MtthsMlw

CriXus wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 21:22
Vettel's 1:16.221

https://streamable.com/deds7
If I see that correctly he is in Engine 2, Engine 1 being the highest mode.