CFD - PERRINN F1 Car (w/ spec mods)

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Next update.

jjn and I have spent some time CADing and CFDing some of our own 2019 wings. Having exhausted the Perrinn model, we are now starting to slowly rebuild bits of it in the hopes of having our "own" F1 car model eventually. The FW has been deliberately kept not "too" aggressive in order to focus more on the outwash generation with representative strakes and endplates, whilst the RW still currently has the 2018-modified endplates (still 2019 legal) but with custom main plain and flap with centre attachment. The changes which were made by modifying the 2018 spec to the 2019 essentially saw reduced down and outwash behind the front tyres, along with quite a substantial shift in aero-balance towards the rear. As such, the current setting angles and the like are aimed at exploring the 2019 spec in CFD whilst trying to offset some of that rearward shift. (note, this will be covered in an article we've also written to be released shortly!!)

My meshing process I think is kind of beginning to get robust enough to decrease the turn around time required for new CAD to be meshed... with all the simplifications and "hacks" I'm having to do in order to not blow up my home computer, it has been very tempramental as to whether it will generate or not... hence any robustness in the process is a welcomed sight!! Typical convergence residuals are also improving slightly as we go which, once again, is all good news.

Finally, from here, Vanja is going to be joining in on the project and will be looking at creating some different bargeboards and/or floor as his first contribution. These images still have the standard Perrinn parts for that, however, hopefully as time goes on, more and more of this model will appear in various colours and replace the grey bits.

"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Hi all,

As mentioned earlier, here is our new article going through some of the findings that jjn and I have seen with the 2018 vs. our 2018-modification to 2019 spec wings on the Perrinn baseline model.

Please give it a read, and let us know what you think!!

(p.s. 2019 Vyssion-jjn wings have been CFD'd at 0° gust; just waiting on 4° gust now before we release those pictures and gifs to you all :wink: ... stay tuned!!)

https://www.f1technical.net/features/21995

"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Okay...

Next update is the purple winged 2019 of jjn and my design. The new front wing model is relatively simple and probably is more closely related to the pre-season Torro-Rosso wing than the Alfa Romeo or Ferrari designs, but hey... it's our first go at it. The new endplates have a small cut out at the rear corner similar to that of the rear wing in order to reduce the primary endplate vortex strength. Downforce of the FW is lower than the 2018-Modified-to-2019 car that I showed just above, however, it is still higher than that of the 2018 car. The rear wing had its tips blended out in an effort to reduce some of that drag at the cost of some downforce, which it did manage to do - about a 5% loss in CzS for a 17% drop in CxS (overall, both still higher than the 2018 model we did in the past). You can definitely see how the different the "aerodynamic width" of the car is compared to the earlier 2018 car due to losing so much of the down- and out-wash (Some of that is, of course, due to us only being a 2-man team instead of a 1,000-man team).

I wont go too much into it as there is another article that jjn and I have written up about all this which should go live somewhat soon, but here is the 0° yaw case images for you to see and compare.

#aerosaruman

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

And the GIFs -- Always the best part of these simulations :wink:

#aerosaruman

SmallSoldier

Vyssion wrote:And the GIFs -- Always the best part of these simulations :wink:

This is amazing and one of the coolest things I have ever seeing... Great job!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jjn9128

As Vyssion mentioned the latest analysis of this 2019 car aerodynamics, on the the aerodynamic effect of the Alfa / Ferrari style front wing is now live.

Let us know what you think. We've gone gif mad in this article which I personally think makes comparing the cases much easier.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

dren

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 12:45
As Vyssion mentioned the latest analysis of this 2019 car aerodynamics, on the the aerodynamic effect of the Alfa / Ferrari style front wing is now live.

Let us know what you think. We've gone gif mad in this article which I personally think makes comparing the cases much easier.
The gifs aren't working in the article posted. They do work in this thread, so I don't think it's my browser.
Honda!

turbof1

dren wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 18:00
jjn9128 wrote:

The gifs aren't working in the article posted. They do work in this thread, so I don't think it's my browser.
There is a 3s delay between each frame of the gif (they aren't video-like gifs as we focused on a key frame of the 2018/2019-01/2019-02 models). We did this so that people have a bit of time to capture what they are seeing. So the gifs basically cycle through 3 key frames, once every 3 seconds.
#AeroFrodo

dren

turbof1 wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 18:03
dren wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

There is a 3s delay between each frame of the gif (they aren't video-like gifs as we focused on a key frame of the 2018/2019-01/2019-02 models). We did this so that people have a bit of time to capture what they are seeing. So the gifs basically cycle through 3 key frames, once every 3 seconds.
They show as broken links.
Honda!

turbof1

dren wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 18:08
turbof1 wrote:
dren wrote:

That's weird. The images are linked to cubeupload. I'm looking at the article right now in multiple browsers (chrome, edge and tor) and shows up fine. Is cubeupload perhaps for whatever reason blacklisted by your browser/provider/antivirus?
#AeroFrodo

jjn9128

dren wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 18:08
turbof1 wrote:
dren wrote:

Hmmm. They work for me in opera as well.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

dren

Perhaps that's what it is. I can see everything in this thread and the picture posted in the article, just no gifs. I'm using Firefox. I'll check on another connection.
Honda!

3jawchuck

Working for me in Firefox 66.

hollus

The front page article works well here, in Firefox and Chrome. Also in Safari in an iPhone.

Great work, BTW!
Rivals, not enemies.

Just_a_fan

Does the model have flow through the sidepods? I'm guessing it doesn't as that would be a lot of work to do properly, but it would be interesting to know how the flow through the car changes the flow around the car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.