Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Drica

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

f1jcw wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 00:59
gruntguru wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 00:45
Depends on the translation. "Mis-combustion" is not necessarily a complete mis-fire. Could be poor combustion characteristics - detonation, slow burn, incomplete burn etc - on one cylinder.

I would imagine most operating parameters, timing, fuelling etc can be adjusted on a per-cylinder basis to compensate for a malfunctioning cylinder, so the other five cylinders can still operate at their optimum. Some things can be changed per-cylinder eg intake pressure, exhaust pressure.
That doesn’t explain why their was no harvesting light on Charles car.
I think there were harvesting lights but in some weird places, like in the middle of the straight

erikejw

Last year the Ferrari power unit was rock solid.

They have normt forgotten how to build a powerful reliable engine during the winter. All Ferrari powered teams had problems during testing and now both Seb and Leclerc had it during races.

Fia issued many clarifications during the winter after Merc and Renault questions.

Has some important Ferrari concept been outlawed, that was ok or grayzone during 14-18? Something they built deep into their concept.

Any rumours about that?

James(Merc) asked Fia alot of questions last season according to Whiting, he knew the ins and outs of the Ferrari engine.

What were the winter clarifications?

ringo

Toto Wolff has concluded after analysis that the engine simply has more sheer power than the Mercedes. It could be this new level of power that has taken them into an unknown reliability wise.
I suspect the ERS was disabled as a fail-safe. Binotto is saying that it may be a defective part and the PU should be good as new after repairing that. I guess this could be something like a spark plug boot.

I wonder how much total horsepower ferrari have now?
maybe around 800hp from the ICE. They may have found another step with the combustion process.
For Sure!!

saviour stivala

“miss combustion in one cylinder” means misfiring or incomplete combustion or no combustion, but the engine not only ran for a considerable number of laps in that condition, but it finished the race and was still running till driver parked-up and switched off. A malfunctioning cylinder of the FERRARI F1 ICE can contribute to as much as 140 bhp less.

saviour stivala

ringo wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 03:48
Toto Wolff has concluded after analysis that the engine simply has more sheer power than the Mercedes. It could be this new level of power that has taken them into an unknown reliability wise.
I suspect the ERS was disabled as a fail-safe. Binotto is saying that it may be a defective part and the PU should be good as new after repairing that. I guess this could be something like a spark plug boot.

I wonder how much total horsepower ferrari have now?
maybe around 800hp from the ICE. They may have found another step with the combustion process.
It cannot but be only a personal opinion, but I believe that Ferrari is now hitting on or just past the 525bhp/l.

FW17

New system in the Ferrari engine which cools the clutch and acts as a supercharger

0104% extra POWER

subcritical71

FW17 wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 11:34
New system in the Ferrari engine which cools the clutch and acts as a supercharger

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3BxLXCWsAEbLDM.jpg

0104% extra POWER
#aerofrizione #aprilfools

Tarkonte

subcritical71 wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 12:28
FW17 wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 11:34

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3BxLXCWsAEbLDM.jpg

0104% extra POWER
#aerofrizione #aprilfools
FUNtastic!!!! :D

Bill

Is this thing real or is it April fool

Tom145145

I think the 0104% is a giveaway.

subcritical71

Tom145145 wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 13:23
I think the 0104% is a giveaway.
or if you are in the USA it would have been even more of a performance gain.... 0401%

BYW, it is a definite April’s fools joke. Started by Craig Scarborough. You can see the post and follow ups on his twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/scarbstech/status/1 ... 04965?s=12

SuperCNJ

Jokes aside, does anyone have any clues as to where Ferrari are getting their extra power? There's been a lot of speculation that Ferrari have found a lot more power over the winter (although some say it is down to low drag). If they have genuinely found a step increase in power, that would be very impressive indeed given that most experts seem to suggest we are pretty much at the limit on engine technology already.

richardn

How much can be deduced from LeClerc's performance with and without the MGU-H? If the impact of the MGU-K relatively fixed, then we can surely deduce how much comes from Ferrari's ICE and how much was coming from the MGU-H before the failure.

Big Mangalhit

richardn wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 15:36
How much can be deduced from LeClerc's performance with and without the MGU-H? If the impact of the MGU-K relatively fixed, then we can surely deduce how much comes from Ferrari's ICE and how much was coming from the MGU-H before the failure.
Do we know if the MGU-K was even working? maybe both MGU were down.

Scootin159

SuperCNJ wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 15:15
Jokes aside, does anyone have any clues as to where Ferrari are getting their extra power? There's been a lot of speculation that Ferrari have found a lot more power over the winter (although some say it is down to low drag). If they have genuinely found a step increase in power, that would be very impressive indeed given that most experts seem to suggest we are pretty much at the limit on engine technology already.
Other teams (who watch the data much more closely than us) are saying it's power, not drag. They can tell the difference since power will add more acceleration the entire straight, while drag reduction will add disproportionately more at the end of the straight. They're seeing the car gain more ground earlier in the straights, which lends itself to power, not to drag reduction.