Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dtro

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

munudeges wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 15:29
It is most curious how they were so woeful in a straight line at the last race and have now turned up with a sizeable straight line performance advantage. This is all power.
I'm thinking that an improved understanding of how to set the car up led to the perceived advantage. If you as the driver are hesitating upon entering a braking point, or putting the power down on exit then you'll be suffering compared to anyone that has a more stable platform. Australia seemed to be a prime example of this.

I could be wrong, but at least I'm not Brundle.

munudeges

dtro wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 18:36
I'm thinking that an improved understanding of how to set the car up led to the perceived advantage.
This is not car setup.

munudeges

djones wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 15:43
They were running less downforce, this is why they were quick on the straights and slower in the corners.
No, not to the tune of four tenths alone. That straight line advantage is enormous, and very reminiscent of what they had last year up until Spa.
Last edited by munudeges on 02 Apr 2019, 00:41, edited 2 times in total.

munudeges

sprint car76 wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 17:58
Craig scarborough twitter account has a interesting drawing on where ferrari's speed came from.
April fool.

F1Krof

munudeges wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 19:27
sprint car76 wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 17:58
Craig scarborough twitter account has a interesting drawing on where ferrari's speed came from.
April fool.
Apparently it gave a whopping 0401% increase in performance though.
Wroom wroom

dtro

munudeges wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 19:25
dtro wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 18:36
I'm thinking that an improved understanding of how to set the car up led to the perceived advantage.
This is not car setup.
I don't see how that isn't the case, if messing up how much cooling they thought was needed lead to a compromised set up in Australia, as well as compromising how they run their PU. The car that was as unstable in low to mid speed corners would have lower speed as compared to the same car if it was stable in said low to mid speed corners. No?

NL_Fer

There is lot of poiting at (illegal) engine power for their straight line speed. But could be aero also?

I was thinking about the rake. Ferrari has increased their rake last few year. Could it be this be the cause of more traction at low speed and less drag at high speeds? I can imagen this would help accelerating out of slow corners and have the highest top speed and why Ferrari is so strong on a track like Bahrain.

Add some clever rear suspension/damping and boooom they go.

SiLo

I've been reading in the engine thread that they are using both MGU-K and MGU-H at the same time to push the engine along the straights and then at the end of the straight switch both to charge the ES. This is why telemetry traces show them tailing off at the end of the straight with Mercedes still pulling.
Felipe Baby!

henry

SiLo wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 11:13
I've been reading in the engine thread that they are using both MGU-K and MGU-H at the same time to push the engine along the straights and then at the end of the straight switch both to charge the ES. This is why telemetry traces show them tailing off at the end of the straight with Mercedes still pulling.
Only the MGU-K drives the car. The MGU-H can send energy to the MGU-K but it does not increase the power available. A more powerful MGU-H may increase the length of time the MGU-K can be used by reducing the rate of use of the energy flow from ES to MGU-K.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

SiLo

henry wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 17:49
SiLo wrote:
Only the MGU-K drives the car. The MGU-H can send energy to the MGU-K but it does not increase the power available. A more powerful MGU-H may increase the length of time the MGU-K can be used by reducing the rate of use of the energy flow from ES to MGU-K.
So they could be using the H to drive the K for longer on the straights?
Felipe Baby!

3jawchuck

SiLo wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 17:52
henry wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 17:49
SiLo wrote:
So they could be using the H to drive the K for longer on the straights?
That energy flow is unlimited so they could be doing that if they thought it was advantageous. There was quite a long discussion about this on (I think) the Honda engine thread.

NL_Fer

I though this was an aero thread?

Now again, could the straightline/acceleration performance be caused by the rake or not?

dtro

NL_Fer wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 21:12

Now again, could the straightline/acceleration performance be caused by the rake or not?
How would increased drag/rake cause increased acceleration?

Tzk
Tzk

The question is if for a given downforce and thus less rear wing df and more rake is actually causing more drag or not. Ferrari may have more df from the diffusor and this less df and drag from the rear wing. They also may run a bit less df that the mercs.

This would result in more straightline speed through: a) a bit more engine power, b) a bit less drag from the rear wing and c) a bit less drag because less total df.

This is what i assume... i just don‘t buy totos explanation.

NL_Fer

dtro wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 21:38
NL_Fer wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 21:12

How would increased drag/rake cause increased acceleration?
The rake gives more DF at slow corners. Intelligent suspension can cause the rake to become smaller under hi speeds, less drag on straights.