[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
etsmc

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Yes Variante is certainly looking like a sure thing for the championship, he already has alot of development and understanding under his belt with what he was doing here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27159

I am interested to see what sort of number people will be getting on their first car and how they progress. Also the gap between the top 3 and the rest of the field.
Will we see the cars producing more or less downforce than the LMP style cars and will we see the efficiency up there?

CAEdevice

etsmc wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 05:37
Yes Variante is certainly looking like a sure thing for the championship, he already has alot of development and understanding under his belt with what he was doing here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27159

I am interested to see what sort of number people will be getting on their first car and how they progress. Also the gap between the top 3 and the rest of the field.
Will we see the cars producing more or less downforce than the LMP style cars and will we see the efficiency up there?
I am sure the cars will produce less downforce and will be much less efficent (top teams from cl/cd around 7 to cl/cd around 3.7 or less considering the KVRC F1 cars)

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 04:47

How can I see the flow on a monitoring surface just like you have on the linked page?
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... g_flow.png
It is pretty simple. You have to open up the stlSamples file in the system folder of your case. There you change

Code: Select all

surfaceFormat null;
to

surfaceFormat vtk;
and

writeFields     false;
to

writeFields     true;
Then you execute this command in the case folder:

mpirun -np $nCPUs simpleFoam -postProcess -latestTime -parallel
You will then find vtk files in the postProcessing folder in the folders corresponding to the surfaces.

etsmc wrote:
Is it possible to have this done in post-processing?
Yeah, no problem.

Today Richard sent me his first version of the CAD parts for the new season. There is still some work that needs to be done, but it was fantastic to see the first F1 parts on my computer this morning. It should not take too long for us any more to provide you with a first set of rules, so you can start designing.

etsmc

LVDH wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 09:48
etsmc wrote:

How can I see the flow on a monitoring surface just like you have on the linked page?
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... g_flow.png
It is pretty simple. You have to open up the stlSamples file in the system folder of your case. There you change

surfaceFormat null;
to

surfaceFormat vtk;
and

writeFields     false;
to

writeFields     true;
Then you execute this command in the case folder:

mpirun -np $nCPUs simpleFoam -postProcess -latestTime -parallel
You will then find vtk files in the postProcessing folder in the folders corresponding to the surfaces.

etsmc wrote:
Is it possible to have this done in post-processing?
Yeah, no problem.

Today Richard sent me his first version of the CAD parts for the new season. There is still some work that needs to be done, but it was fantastic to see the first F1 parts on my computer this morning. It should not take too long for us any more to provide you with a first set of rules, so you can start designing.
:o cool thanks. This is awsome should help with development. So close i can feel that sense of dissapointment after the first race and i am so far behind. . :D

machin

etsmc wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 12:46
So close i can feel that sense of dissapointment after the first race and i am so far behind. . :D
Positive attitude! :D

On a different topic: Now I've had a play with it I can confirm the statements made by Matteo and others: FREECAD seems to be a really good free alternative to Solidworks.... definitely recommended to anyone who wants to have a go at Parametric modelling...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 14:03
etsmc wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 12:46
So close i can feel that sense of dissapointment after the first race and i am so far behind. . :D
Positive attitude! :D

On a different topic: Now I've had a play with it I can confirm the statements made by Matteo and others: FREECAD seems to be a really good free alternative to Solidworks.... definitely recommended to anyone who wants to have a go at Parametric modelling...
Yes, it is free and open source. The new assembly workbench (after release 0.18) is very promising (assembly has always been a weak point of FreeCAD). Parametric CAD is a bit slower when we start a model from zero, but it improves "fine tuning" process very much.

There is an interesting CFD module (very rough, nothing to do with MantiumFlow refined settings about mesh, rotating wheels, turbolence models) but enough for a quick check during the very early part of the design.

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sandbox:CFD

Alonso Fan

Thanks for the info

Definitely intend to have a look into this
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

LVDH

Richard got a hang of FreeCAD pretty quickly and his model look quiet good now. If you guys want we can release the FreeCAD as well as the step and stl files as soon as we are "done".
I am not sure it is the best way to design a car. I am intending to release a video about designing a car in Blender. With Blender it is much easier to create crazy shapes and the stl files are later really nice.

CAEdevice

I am curious aboit the difference between Formula M and Formula 1 rules. We will have a stepped floor? The rear wing and engine cover will have that mandatory surfaces only useful for the sponsors?

machin

Essentially it will be VERY close to F1 rules.... but instead of the complicated rule book we have a quite detailed set of volumes which you must keep within; that stops you from straying too far from a real F1 car. In the current draft of the rules we have a stepped floor; 90% of the floor will be a given part which you can’t change... Andre and I will be making the final tweaks very soon...

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 13:55
90% of the floor will be a given part which you can’t change
Good idea. But you will include the diffuser too?
The template and the "3D rulebook" will be provided only as STL or also as STEP?

machin

As Andre suggested above; I think the files will be released as STEP, STL and FreeCAD.

I don’t want to say too much about the details about the rules until I’ve discussed them with Andre... but we are pretty close!

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 14:31
As Andre suggested above; I think the files will be released as STEP, STL and FreeCAD.
FreeCAD native! Thanks! =D>

Alonso Fan

Just checked out freecad. I'm sold...

... I know I know its free

It's good that the rules are new. I don't have to go round looking for ways to port sketchup models to freecad now. And designing an f1 car shape will be much easier than the lmp cars were. Always struggled with those front fenders in solidworks
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

rjsa

Have a look at fusion360. It’s free if you say you’re a hobbist.
It has TSplines, that will work much like the subdivision surfaces on blender.