2019 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 29 - 31

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mzso

Re: 2019 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 29 - 31

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 20:41
I am reminded of Brazil last year where it was Max on the outside. Carlos ended up with a bigger "punishment" than Max did back then for a similar situation as Max was just spun around whereas Carlos had a full lap of slow driving plus the eventual DNF.
I don't think the two were anywhere near each other in Brazil.
GrandAxe wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 21:22
Sainz and Max had equal right to the corner, so no wrong by either driver.
Then there never would be anything wrong...

nacho

If you compare to the line that the Merc in front, Sainz brakes early and moves to the right so much earlier.

mzso

nacho wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 21:55
If you compare to the line that the Merc in front, Sainz brakes early and moves to the right so much earlier.
Jeez. This doesn't even make grammatical sense.

GrandAxe

mzso wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:02
nacho wrote:
Grammar is secondary to the point being made. There are lots of members who don't have English as their first language.

Juzh

Hamilton vs Vettel - third stint battle

zibby43

Bill_Kar wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 13:19
Phil wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 11:28

Ferrari / Mercedes
Given the talk about how Ferrari have supposedly got a huge power-performance advantage... well, I'm not exactly seeing it, not in the race anyway. If that were case, I think Hamilton would have had little chance to take on Vettel during the race. The race pace seemed quite comparable in the end. Will be very interesting to see how China shapes up with that long straight.
Well, if leclerc's problem was a misfire and not something fundamentally wrong, then there is a problem as he was always out of Hamilton's reach.
The thing that is interesting to me re: the narrative of Ferrari's straight-line advantage in Bahrain qualifying is that everyone was using the LEC/HAM telemetry overlays to demonstrate the gap.

However, that straight-line advantage really didn't translate for Vettel, who just shaded Hamilton/Bottas in qualifying.

And then, in the race, Hamilton was able to stay close to Vettel, even when HAM was on those awful Softs, and then had the pace to really attack and blow by Vettel on the Mediums.

Then you have the phonometric analysis that was conducted at Bahrain that put Mercedes and Ferrari at nearly level, with Merc maybe having a slight edge with respect to the endothermic engine.

Was LEC running less wing than VET, HAM, and BOT?

Harvester

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 17:14
Leclerc can handle the car better than Vettel so far. Is he more talented? very likely. Lets see how more races go, but this juicy match up is eerily reminiscent of Hamilton vs Alonso in 2007!
Yes this will be interesting to see in upcoming races. I am glad they let leclerc fight vettel. It also saved us from hundreds of posts here about ferrari protecting vettel. My prediction is that vettel will be faster driver.
Last edited by Harvester on 02 Apr 2019, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

LM10

zibby43 wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:08
And then, in the race, Hamilton was able to stay close to Vettel, even when HAM was on those awful Softs, and then had the pace to really attack and blow by Vettel on the Mediums.
What was worth mentioning about Hamilton being able to stay close to Vettel? On warmed up tyres he was already in DRS-range right after Vettel came out of pits and with equally fresh tyres and 3 DRS straights it was a given that he would go for the attack every next moment.

This particular example is not really indicative in regards of power.

zibby43

LM10 wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:30
zibby43 wrote:
What was worth mentioning about Hamilton being able to stay close to Vettel? On warmed up tyres he was already in DRS-range right after Vettel came out of pits and with equally fresh tyres and 3 DRS straights it was a given that he would go for the attack every next moment.
I was referring to Hamilton's stint on Softs after the pitstop. Those tires ended up being awful racing tires, but he was still able to stay close enough to Vettel on that stint to be able to attack later with the Mediums.

That's what impressed me. Hamilton stayed with Vettel's pace all night, and then pounced when he had the Mediums on the final stint.

zeph

zibby43 wrote:
Bill_Kar wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 13:19
Phil wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 11:28

Ferrari / Mercedes
Given the talk about how Ferrari have supposedly got a huge power-performance advantage... well, I'm not exactly seeing it, not in the race anyway. If that were case, I think Hamilton would have had little chance to take on Vettel during the race. The race pace seemed quite comparable in the end. Will be very interesting to see how China shapes up with that long straight.
Well, if leclerc's problem was a misfire and not something fundamentally wrong, then there is a problem as he was always out of Hamilton's reach.
The thing that is interesting to me re: the narrative of Ferrari's straight-line advantage in Bahrain qualifying is that everyone was using the LEC/HAM telemetry overlays to demonstrate the gap.

However, that straight-line advantage really didn't translate for Vettel, who just shaded Hamilton/Bottas in qualifying.

Then you have the phonometric analysis that was conducted at Bahrain that put Mercedes and Ferrari at nearly level, with Merc maybe having a slight edge with respect to the endothermic engine.

Was LEC running less wing than VET, HAM, and BOT?
I don’t find reasonable explanations very interesting, so I’m going full-on conspiracy and say Ferrari secretly gave Leclerc a quicker car to make this season more sensational. :wink:

Harvester

zibby43 wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:34
LM10 wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:30
zibby43 wrote:
I was referring to Hamilton's stint on Softs after the pitstop. Those tires ended up being awful racing tires, but he was still able to stay close enough to Vettel on that stint to be able to attack later with the Mediums.

That's what impressed me. Hamilton stayed with Vettel's pace all night, and then pounced when he had the Mediums on the final stint.
Thats right. After vettel overtook Hamilton, he almost regained position the next lap and was able to stay very close to vettel for some time.
There could be different reasons for that. It can be that after vettel overtook Hamilton they turned down his pu a little bit. Maybe that can be checked by watching onboard.

mzso

GrandAxe wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:07
mzso wrote:
nacho wrote:
Grammar is secondary to the point being made. There are lots of members who don't have English as their first language.
Well, since it's totally incomprehensible I'd say it has a tiny bit of relevance.(Mine isn't english either)

Artur Craft

Anybody else realised when a Toro Rosso passed Leclerc how poor it was? I mean, it had drs on and, even with Leclerc's problem, it could hardly get away from him. Honda is a lot worse than I thought.

Just_a_fan

mzso wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 21:41
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 20:41
I am reminded of Brazil last year where it was Max on the outside. Carlos ended up with a bigger "punishment" than Max did back then for a similar situation as Max was just spun around whereas Carlos had a full lap of slow driving plus the eventual DNF.
I don't think the two were anywhere near each other in Brazil.
I meant Max's incident in T2 where he turned in on another car. It was quite widely discussed at the time. You may remember it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

mzso wrote:
nacho wrote:
It makes sense to those English speakers who are used to dealing with non-English speakers.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.