2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

roy928tt wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 10:43
One for the optimists, Williams have a better finishing record than Renault at this point of the season......
that's pretty embarassing for Renault, actually.
Also shows things could have been worse: if Williams had Renault engines.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Capharol

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 13:41
roy928tt wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 10:43
One for the optimists, Williams have a better finishing record than Renault at this point of the season......
that's pretty embarassing for Renault, actually.
Also shows things could have been worse: if Williams had Renault engines.
on both posts

=D> :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sulman

Looking at those testing times there's a bit of light, though. They're close with the car, it's not like it's nowhere. If they can switch it on they might be in points territory at some races.

netoperek

This particular car has over 5000 km done already, so Renault should take notes - a car can be made very reliable if it's not very fast :P

Manoah2u

netoperek wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 23:31
This particular car has over 5000 km done already, so Renault should take notes - a car can be made very reliable if it's not very fast :P
well, Mclaren seems to do better, even though in Australia they suffered a Renault failure too.

Also, not much benefit for Renault to turn down the wick and see Renault themselves decide they pull the plug and sell enstone, once again. They can take notes from Mercedes though. I wouldn't say Ferrari, the reliability seems to be once again their achillesheel , like 2 seasons ago.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

netoperek

Everyone should take notes from Williams and follow their footsteps! It's the only way Williams can become competitive this year :P

Sulman

Some good news: It's not money; they're in good financial health, thanks to previous results and a strong engineering arm of the company.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... s/4365152/

Manoah2u

Sulman wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 15:13
Some good news: It's not money; they're in good financial health, thanks to previous results and a strong engineering arm of the company.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... s/4365152/
agree that's good news, even though on some level that makes it somewhat worse;
it's thus a total lack of capability despite having enough finances.
worse is that they mention they invested more in qualified employees, and instead,
we see the performance plunge to rock bottom.

i know i'm sounding pretty negative but i'm pretty baffled by all of what's going on.
what i DO think is positive is that the bad stuff has seemed to come to more or less of a halt.
it was bad news on bad news before, but it seemed to stabilize and get a bit better now.
i do agree that it's in any case positive that there is still money.
also patrick head appointed to put heads in one working direction is also positive.

Morteza

The first 1:40 minutes of the video is Peter sharing his thoughts about Williams bringing back Patrick Head
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bill shoe

Manoah2u wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 21:37

it's thus a total lack of capability despite having enough finances.

i know i'm sounding pretty negative but i'm pretty baffled by all of what's going on.
Well put. I think that's what's so distressing about this to all longtime F1 fans. Somehow the team's performance has collapsed despite no obvious crisis that forced this situation. This is not HRT or Caterham or Virgin trying to find money to survive through the next race weekend. This is a (still) financially stable team with lots going for it that is nonetheless the slow outlier of the entire field.

munudeges

I am also totally baffled. If it was one team I thought would descend into political chaos it was Ferrari, but Williams is one weird organisation with a lot of inertia that seems to have got far, far too comfortable for a long time.

ringo

If Head is back... then it means that the engineers are not as crappy as i thought. It must be leadership and management.. which then lands the blame at Claire's feet. I always refrained from blaming her for the team's issues, even when others first reflex is to call for her head. I figured it was a subconscious sexism.. but now i think all indicators are pointing to Claire. But she is the Boss' daughter.. gonna be hard to remove her from leadership.
For Sure!!

z.topoln

Why is no one blaming paddy on this forum?

He was responsible for the car, wasnt he? Well car was late, and car was bad. That can only happen with bad organizing.

I really really doubt that Claire had time to mess up with his work. I work in a smaller company than Williams, but thing can probably relate on a scale. I'm head of two divisions of company and even though I am of opinion that my boss and company planner arent doing their job good enough, that doesnt absolve me from blame if my divisions --- up. My job is to make things happen, despite whatever happens above me. Paddy had the same job.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Unc1eM0nty

ringo wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 05:53
If Head is back... then it means that the engineers are not as crappy as i thought. It must be leadership and management.. which then lands the blame at Claire's feet. I always refrained from blaming her for the team's issues, even when others first reflex is to call for her head. I figured it was a subconscious sexism.. but now i think all indicators are pointing to Claire. But she is the Boss' daughter.. gonna be hard to remove her from leadership.
I was wondering what Head can bring to the party, F1 organisations and technology have moved on since his day, from a pure technical point of view I don't think he had much to offer.

He is very experienced though, he's been in these situations and come out the other end smiling, maybe that's what they need, some plain old common sense, encouragement, someone to bounce ideas off.

I hope it works, but if it does it wont be a quick fix.

Big Tea

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 10:48
ringo wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 05:53
I was wondering what Head can bring to the party, F1 organisations and technology have moved on since his day, from a pure technical point of view I don't think he had much to offer.

He is very experienced though, he's been in these situations and come out the other end smiling, maybe that's what they need, some plain old common sense, encouragement, someone to bounce ideas off.

I hope it works, but if it does it wont be a quick fix.
Option choosing?
If he is respected enough, which he seems to be, everyone follows his decisions.
Right or wrong all sing from the same page. If its wrong, they know sooner and still have a chance to change things.

Decision by committee does not work in F1 due to time constrains and differing visions. It needs a "what I say goes, and goes now" approach.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.