2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Polarit

Re: 2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

Phil wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 02:12
zeph wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 21:37
I don’t get the Rosberg haterade.

His commentary is usually knowledgeable and on point, he is the most recent world champion (other than Hamilton), the only commentator who has raced against the majority of the current grid, and who has personal experience with modern F1. He understands strategy and the mental strain drivers are under. I can’t think of anyone better qualified for the job.
I'll tell you what I don't like; In most of his commentary, he has a bit of a sensationalist tone and is quite vocal in his criticism. He also appears to be very opinionated. I much prefer the 'tone' and IMO more objective/neutral journalism from ex-drivers such as Karun Chandhok and Jolyon Palmer to name two. There's also something about Rosbergs 'smirk' that just rubs me the wrong way too.

Despite that though, I respect that as a very recent F1 driver, race-winner and WDC champion at Mercedes, he has a lot of very valuable insights and information some others lack. That however doesn't exclude that quite a bit that he posts on his Youtube channel and on the RTL broadcast (yes I watch them) isn't a lot of drivel too.
I get the neutral tone they have but you can tell their reigning in their views because their careers are speaking on Sky etc. It's predictable.

Rosberg.... just says what he thinks, he drops in some real interesting information and insight at times and then I also think he deliberately baits people. But he doesn't care... he's loaded, got his WDC, he's in the social circle anyway and almost above having to play along.

Rosberg is methodical. He watches, learns and reacts and I think he's doing that with his media/social presence.

I like him best when he randomly comments with his knowledge about Max trying to overtake and comments he perhaps didn't adjust his break bias enough forward for that corner and overtake. That's Nico.... He also in another video described when Mercedes switched the mechanics and it was like his enemy was now fixing the nuts and bolts in his car..... Then he'll drop a sensational headline.... deliberately for view and clicks.... but it works.

zeph

zeph wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 21:37
I don’t get the Rosberg haterade.

His commentary is usually knowledgeable and on point, he is the most recent world champion (other than Hamilton), the only commentator who has raced against the majority of the current grid, and who has personal experience with modern F1. He understands strategy and the mental strain drivers are under. I can’t think of anyone better qualified for the job.
zibby43 wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 22:29
He's usually pretty decent, but he dropped the ball on one of his videos earlier this weekend.
Hopefully this was a blip and he doesn't just start churning out low-quality content just to get clicks.
Polarit wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 00:30
I don't either for the most part.
His insight and contacts because of his status in the game is fascinating at times. He sometimes I think says stuff for a reaction.... I think he's extremely methodical and logical which is why he did well against Hamilton because he used to study Lewis and copy him. I think in working in press he understands if he says x he gets y. So he just says it.
Phil wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 02:12
I'll tell you what I don't like; In most of his commentary, he has a bit of a sensationalist tone and is quite vocal in his criticism. He also appears to be very opinionated.
Despite that though, I respect that as a very recent F1 driver, race-winner and WDC champion at Mercedes, he has a lot of very valuable insights and information some others lack. That however doesn't exclude that quite a bit that he posts on his Youtube channel and on the RTL broadcast (yes I watch them) isn't a lot of drivel too.

I don't follow Rosberg on social media, didn't know he vlogs etc.

I strictly speak about his appearances as a commentator on the main F1 race feed, as that is all I've ever seen of him.

He generally strikes me as fair and even-handed, like Coulthard.

e30ernest

Brenton wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 00:35
MY COMEBACK PLANS 2020
You realize, that was an April Fools joke? :D

I agree he was way off the mark regarding the Merc's front wing this race. That little bit was poorly researched on his part. Unless of course he was right and everyone else reported things wrong.

zibby43

zeph wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 02:52

I strictly speak about his appearances as a commentator on the main F1 race feed, as that is all I've ever seen of him.

I agree with that. I want to see Lewis on his podcast (Nico said he invited him).

Restomaniac

zibby43 wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 05:25
zeph wrote:

I agree with that. I want to see Lewis on his podcast (Nico said he invited him).
That would be pointless ATM.

Rosberg could level all kinds of crap at Hamilton who as a current driver about their time together at Mercedes and Hamilton will have to let a lot slide. Wait until Hamilton is retired THEN watch!

siskue2005

Restomaniac wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 07:50
zibby43 wrote:
zeph wrote:

Rosberg could level all kinds of crap at Hamilton who as a current driver about their time together at Mercedes and Hamilton will have to let a lot slide. Wait until Hamilton is retired THEN watch!
No wonder Lewis has not accepted this request. he knows it could get ugly as he has to shut his mouth on many things... He will accept the request after he has retired and that the smart thing to do.

e30ernest

I do not think Rosberg will do that. He;s had multiple opportunities to lob crap at Hamilton in his other podcast episodes but he hasn't. He has stated that there are things that should remain between the both of them in private. I think Rosberg knows his limits. If Lewis does go into his podcast (unlikely) I think it will be rather civil.

Restomaniac

siskue2005 wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 08:01
Restomaniac wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

No wonder Lewis has not accepted this request. he knows it could get ugly as he has to shut his mouth on many things... He will accept the request after he has retired and that the smart thing to do.
Exactly.

Restomaniac

e30ernest wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 08:16
I do not think Rosberg will do that. He;s had multiple opportunities to lob crap at Hamilton in his other podcast episodes but he hasn't. He has stated that there are things that should remain between the both of them in private. I think Rosberg knows his limits. If Lewis does go into his podcast (unlikely) I think it will be rather civil.
That’s fair enough but can Hamilton currently take that risk even if it’s only a slim chance?

3jawchuck

Looking at the lap times for the race. Why is it that after the Leclerc/Vettel swap, the lap times increase? Vettel was keeping up with Leclerc all the time he was behind, then once he is through he slows down, I don't get why. Tyres?

From a team point of view, the swap certainly seemed to be the right thing to do, they were falling behind the Mercs, but the swap only made this gap worse.

Restomaniac

3jawchuck wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 08:34
Looking at the lap times for the race. Why is it that after the Leclerc/Vettel swap, the lap times increase? Vettel was keeping up with Leclerc all the time he was behind, then once he is through he slows down, I don't get why. Tyres?

From a team point of view, the swap certainly seemed to be the right thing to do, they were falling behind the Mercs, but the swap only made this gap worse.
He had DRS on the straights, every straight. As soon as he lost that his time evaporated.

zibby43

Restomaniac wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

I meant that tongue in cheek.

Lewis is far too savvy to accept the invite while he's still racing. I wouldn't accept, if I were in his shoes.

I do hope they can reconcile someday. They were legitimately good friends at one point.

e30ernest

Restomaniac wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 08:18
e30ernest wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 08:16
That’s fair enough but can Hamilton currently take that risk even if it’s only a slim chance?
I think they will agree on the questions first. These podcasts aren't aired live so Lewis can opt to cancel it if he wants to.

I honestly don't know why people think Rosberg will say bad things about/to Hamilton. Rosberg generally throws nothing but praise towards his former teammate. Even when he is critical of Hamilton (usually he is right at that exact point of time) he always follows-up with the lines of how Hamilton always finds a way to bounce back (still a praise). The only driver I've seen him been critical of has been Vettel.
3jawchuck wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 08:34

I think it was tires. Following Leclerc couldn't have been good for his tires. You see him lock-up soon after the swap which wouldn't have helped too. We also don't know (or do we?) if they changed engine modes once the swap was done.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 01:56
After this race i can solemnly say Vettel is a lower level than Hamilton. How can a four time champ be so troubled by two juniors not just in one season but two? Vettel needs to get his game up and fast.
Well, I also think that Lewis is better. But a guy called Fernando Alonso was also troubled by a junior and no one doubts he is an awesome racer.

Vasconia

GrandAxe wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 12:40
Schuttelberg wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 11:47
Hammerfist wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 10:48

Yes, it's funny seeing the likes of Nico Rosberg having to back track now.
Personally, I don't find it funny. He won his title, retired and I have no problem unlike some for him to be around and give us his views. BUT, he seems to babble on a lot about his contemporaries and their competence. He seems to forget that he won a championship for which he went through a lot of hardships and easily disrespects people who have perhaps been through the same or more. In Bahrain, he was at Seb's throat and this week he chose Lewis. I find it incredibly distasteful and I am not a resentful or hateful person but he definitely tries to get that started in me.
You've just listed many of the reasons many don't like to see Nico commenting around the paddock. He won a championship and failed to defend it, which is the minimum expected of a champion to keep any sport going or interesting.

Imagine if Schumacher have retired after his first WDC, or Usain Bolt after his first medal, or Muhammed Ali after his first knock out etc.

There is something wrong about someone who ran off, only to come back and talk so much about the abilities of others who have stuck in the heat for the benefit of the sport.
It is disrespectful, especially to the other WDC's on the grid (Lewis - 5 time, Seb - 4 time, Kimi 1 time and last year, Alonso - 2 time).

Sky most likely brought him back for the controversy, in this brand new world of click marketing and zero values.
Your hate for Nico make you say some very weird things. As any other driver he has the right to comment the races. In which dimension is this to be disrespectful? You can criticize that he lef the sport without defending the title but he had the right to do and this has nothing to do with his role as a commentator.