2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

Some should tell Vettel this isn't a battle he can win.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14281 ... journalism
"I want to be ahead of Charles, he wants to be ahead of me.

"Not keen to expand much further because it's always a bit difficult, especially what you [the media] make out of the answer."

Ferrari and its drivers have faced repeated questioning through the first three races about its use of team orders, despite its position remaining largely consistent.

Asked if there was a specific story in mind, Vettel said: "Not really, it's just poor journalism, from my point of view.

"But I'm not a journalist to judge. So you shouldn't take my judgement personally."
When asked if he had requested the order, or if it was fair, Vettel said: "I knew the moment it was happening that I would have to face these questions.

"Not sure I want to answer because I'm a little bit against the way you - all of you - work, because you take bits out of answers here and there and put it into the wrong light.

"So, if you ask me again in half an hour down in the paddock, maybe I give you a straightforward answer and you don't write it down or record.

"Seems the way that, not maybe all of you, but some of you are working.

"I felt I was faster in the car, I was asked if I can go faster. I answered that I felt I can."
197 104 103 7

subcritical71

dans79 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 18:33
Some should tell Vettel this isn't a battle he can win.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14281 ... journalism
"I want to be ahead of Charles, he wants to be ahead of me.

"Not keen to expand much further because it's always a bit difficult, especially what you [the media] make out of the answer."

Ferrari and its drivers have faced repeated questioning through the first three races about its use of team orders, despite its position remaining largely consistent.

Asked if there was a specific story in mind, Vettel said: "Not really, it's just poor journalism, from my point of view.

"But I'm not a journalist to judge. So you shouldn't take my judgement personally."
When asked if he had requested the order, or if it was fair, Vettel said: "I knew the moment it was happening that I would have to face these questions.

"Not sure I want to answer because I'm a little bit against the way you - all of you - work, because you take bits out of answers here and there and put it into the wrong light.

"So, if you ask me again in half an hour down in the paddock, maybe I give you a straightforward answer and you don't write it down or record.

"Seems the way that, not maybe all of you, but some of you are working.

"I felt I was faster in the car, I was asked if I can go faster. I answered that I felt I can."
Are "poor journalism" and "fake news" one and the same?

dans79

subcritical71 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 18:38
No, they are conceptually different! Poor journalism would be sensationalizing or taking something out of context. Fake news, is literally making up fake information.
197 104 103 7

dtro

dans79 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 19:06
subcritical71 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 18:38
No, they are conceptually different! Poor journalism would be sensationalizing or taking something out of context. Fake news, is literally making up fake information.
The pie charts must overlap to an extent. Somewhere in the middle lies Twitter as a "news" source, where everyone is a bad journo, and the line between sensationalism and false information are blurred.

sAx
sAx

turbof1 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 14:42
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 14:26
Mansell also did it himself. He self-funded his early career including remortgaging his house at one point. That's a level of commitment the youngsters don't understand.

He was probably the last of the old school racing drivers. A real racer, that's for sure.
I think very few youngsters in his day would have gone to that extreme too :P . But yeah, he was extremely committed.
Not as unusual as you suggest. I remember the then F2 Champ Dr. Jonathan Palmer taking on a debt of £70,000 to get into F1 ('82/'83), which seemed to be crazy at the time. The only difference is he did not talk about it all that much. Looking back from where he is now, probably the best investment he ever made!
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

Just_a_fan

sAx wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 19:22

Not as unusual as you suggest. I remember the then F2 Champ Dr. Jonathan Palmer taking on a debt of £70,000 to get into F1 ('82/'83), which seemed to be crazy at the time. The only difference is he did not talk about it all that much. Looking back from where he is now, probably the best investment he ever made!
It's still unusual when one considers how many drivers there are and how many funded themselves. Most have a rich daddy (Stroll) or a national company (any number) behind them. The lucky ones get under the wing of a team early on e.g. Hamilton.

Today, I doubt any driver could self fund the rise to F1 unless they were already ridiculously wealthy.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 21:11
sAx wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 19:22

It's still unusual when one considers how many drivers there are and how many funded themselves. Most have a rich daddy (Stroll) or a national company (any number) behind them. The lucky ones get under the wing of a team early on e.g. Hamilton.

Today, I doubt any driver could self fund the rise to F1 unless they were already ridiculously wealthy.
And I feel, because it became so funded trough and trough, it became so expensive that, especially for young people, impossible to fund themselves. Most common now is that you go in debt with a sponsor, sometimes for millions on an investment kind of deal.

Even F3 is too expensive, a season runs into the 100.000’s, and normally you need two of them to rise above the field.

Just_a_fan

Which is why you get drivers like Stroll on the grid. Daddy outspends the competition to get his boy in the seat. Motorsport is filled with drivers who were brilliant but underfunded and so ultimately unsuccessful.

Terry Fullerton - the guy Senna couldn't beat and who he rated above even the likes of Prost, Piquet, Mansell - is a good example.

foxmulder_ms

I didnt see this discussed: Kvyat's penalty. I found it really unfair. If anything, Sainz initiated everything. .. :|

Mach

siskue2005 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 16:56
Mach wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 02:58
siskue2005 wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 06:11

Didn't see you at Bahrain =P~
:lol:
Well, this race was boring.
Mercedes should run away with it once again
Because of the incompetence from their rival....cant blame them for doing their job

But my question still stands...didnt see you at Bahrain with the same quote ("Ferrari are too strong")? as from the above quote it is evident that you posted it after China qualifying.

Instead, you should post, Ferrari and RBR et al are too incompetent again from here on :lol: :lol:
Agreed :mrgreen:

Phil

foxmulder_ms wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 00:50
I didnt see this discussed: Kvyat's penalty. I found it really unfair. If anything, Sainz initiated everything. .. :|
I see the issue more with Norris who was off the track and came back on and sandwiched Sainz who was adapting to Kvyat slightly understeering...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Juzh

ricardo-rs wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 13:28
Juzh wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 16:19
verstappen vs vettel second stint battle:

video
We don't watch your video because we get "due to a copyright claim by the content owner.". -> You re-upload video. ;)
https://streamable.com/aqh9d

Just_a_fan

Interesting comparison of lines through the first few corners. Vettel goes wider and sacrifices a little entry speed in to the tight section but it gives him a better line out so he pulls away on the next straight. Max takes the classical line and is quicker in the corners but loses out on the exit before the straight. Nice to see these little differences.

Schuttelberg

Phil wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 03:33
foxmulder_ms wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 00:50
I see the issue more with Norris who was off the track and came back on and sandwiched Sainz who was adapting to Kvyat slightly understeering...
Pretty much a penalty mated out on the basis of reputation in my book.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

henry

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 10:27
Interesting comparison of lines through the first few corners. Vettel goes wider and sacrifices a little entry speed in to the tight section but it gives him a better line out so he pulls away on the next straight. Max takes the classical line and is quicker in the corners but loses out on the exit before the straight. Nice to see these little differences.
Some years ago the broadcasters had access to ghost overlays showing two cars through the same corner. The first time I saw it Hamilton braked later than the comparison car and for a very brief moment I thought they had collided. It was an excellent way to see the differences in car performance and driver styles. After a few showings they dropped it. I imagine that now the technology has moved on so much that they could do a full lap comparison, I wish they would.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus