Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dans79

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

subcritical71 wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 16:23
GIO in the Alfa also had to take a 'new' CE for the race due to issues during qualifying. The following was replaced in parc fermé.
Alfa Romeo Racing Ferrari:

Car 99:           CU power box (new)
                      TPMS of first Q1 tyre set
                      Cylinder #1 spark plug
                      Cylinder #1 ignition coil
                      LHS and RHS fuel lift pump filter
I noticed that as well. Kimi must be a car whisperer, as he is the only Ferrari powered driver to not take one.
197 104 103 7

henry

I think the ECU and CE, Control Electronics, are two separate things.

The CE is part of the Power Unit and comprises all the logic and control for the ERS including Control units for the MGU-K and MGU-H, DC-DC converters and between the connections between the components. It’s this that is limited to two instances in the season.

The ECU is the Standard McLaren unit which performs signal integration, control and data logging. I can’t find any restriction on the number of instances that may be used.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Mattchu

@subcritical71 I got that [the new was an old spec], was just trying to clarify what I thought had happened...

@henry Agreed, do you think this is the component where all the timings, maps, etc, are stored? basically the system/PU brain. These are changed race to race if I`m not wrong so it must be re-writable on the software side.
This sounds more like a potential hardware issue on the part so shouldn`t be to much of an issue!

Aside all this, the electronics/software engineering on these power units is mind blowing and I personally think where Mercedes has the upper hand.

saviour stivala

Yes, ‘SECU’ standard specification ECU and “CE’ control electronics (an element of the PU) are two separate things, ‘CE’ control electronics (an element of the PU) is not a standardized item.

henry

Mattchu wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 19:31
@subcritical71 I got that [the new was an old spec], was just trying to clarify what I thought had happened...

@henry Agreed, do you think this is the component where all the timings, maps, etc, are stored? basically the system/PU brain. These are changed race to race if I`m not wrong so it must be re-writable on the software side.
This sounds more like a potential hardware issue on the part so shouldn`t be to much of an issue!

Aside all this, the electronics/software engineering on these power units is mind blowing and I personally think where Mercedes has the upper hand.
I think all of the logic/processing for the strategy modes, ICE control etc are in the SECU. The CE module will have its own logic/processing to interpret instructions from the SECU and look after locally relevant performance, reliability and safety aspects. It also reports status information, both as mandated and logged information for the FIA and other data required by the SECU programming.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

MtthsMlw

Interesting to see that Ferrari's advantage on the long straight only really shows as soon as the DRS activates. Also it looks like Merc's MGU-K cuts off sooner.

Source

dans79

MtthsMlw wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 22:11
Interesting to see that Ferrari's advantage on the long straight only really shows as soon as the DRS activates. Also it looks like Merc's MGU-K cuts off sooner.

https://unendinginsight.files.wordpress ... vs_vet.png
Source
I think that all comes back to the fact that as some have suggested The Ferrari in an inherently lower Drag/DF Design.
197 104 103 7

yelistener

dans79 wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 03:20
MtthsMlw wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 22:11

https://unendinginsight.files.wordpress ... vs_vet.png
Source
I think that all comes back to the fact that as some have suggested The Ferrari in an inherently lower Drag/DF Design.
Shouldn't a low DF design indicate that Ferrari straight advantage should appear more on non-DRS straight? I mean, assuming Mercedes have more DF (rear), they should gain more than Ferrari when DRS is open right?

saviour stivala

Logically the lower the downforce the higher the speed on the straight. And the higher the downforce the more speed gained when DRS is activated.

dans79

yelistener wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 04:04
Shouldn't a low DF design indicate that Ferrari straight advantage should appear more on non-DRS straight? I mean, assuming Mercedes have more DF (rear), they should gain more than Ferrari when DRS is open right?
It depends on power, gearing, and df/drag of the entire car.
197 104 103 7

MtthsMlw

At first I thought maybe Ferrari had a bigger DRS flap leading to a bigger DRS effect but it is quite the opposite.
Double DRS 2.0 confirmed =P~

OO7
OO7

MtthsMlw wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 11:21
At first I thought maybe Ferrari had a bigger DRS flap leading to a bigger DRS effect but it is quite the opposite.
Double DRS 2.0 confirmed =P~
https://i.imgur.com/hvOf6EY.jpg
It depends on the difference between the flap chord and the regulated 'letterbox' size when DRS is open. When DRS was first introduced in 2011, McLaren used a longer chord flap which was better for downforce and race conditions, whereas Red Bull used a shorter chord flap which was better for qualifying or so it was said at the time.

PhillipM

Yep, if the Ferrari's upper flap is set to go almost horizontal when the mercs remains angled then the Ferrari would have more powerful DRS going by that image, not vice versa.

MtthsMlw

PhillipM wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 13:19
Yep, if the Ferrari's upper flap is set to go almost horizontal when the mercs remains angled then the Ferrari would have more powerful DRS going by that image, not vice versa.
Seems to be the case.

OO7
OO7

MtthsMlw wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 13:42
PhillipM wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 13:19
Seems to be the case.
https://i.imgur.com/2HQwUBL.jpg
Ferrari's main plane is steeper though. Maybe differing stall characteristics also play a part in drag reduction efficiency?