2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Bill_Kar

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

digitalrurouni wrote:
10 May 2019, 13:59
It's great Ferrari introduced an upgraded PU - but as an armchair novice I would like to point out that's not where their problem lies. I was honestly expecting a bigger update from Ferrari in terms of aero but especially front suspension to bring the challenge to Mercedes.
Who knows why they didn't bring the suspension as well? But from Monaco onwards they will probably bolt it on.

LM10

digitalrurouni wrote:
It's great Ferrari introduced an upgraded PU - but as an armchair novice I would like to point out that's not where their problem lies. I was honestly expecting a bigger update from Ferrari in terms of aero but especially front suspension to bring the challenge to Mercedes.
Their updates were introduced in 2 steps which might give the impression of a lack of upgrades.
Changes to bargeboard, floor, diffuser, front wing, rear wing and engine cover are a solid number of upgrades, I would say. You don’t need to go for revolutions, if you’re aware of the potential of your car, but for evolutions and little tweaks to address the issues.

As for the suspension, they seem to have the intention of first testing it in Barcelona testing after the GP.

digitalrurouni

LM10 wrote:
10 May 2019, 14:07
digitalrurouni wrote:
Their updates were introduced in 2 steps which might give the impression of a lack of upgrades.
Changes to bargeboard, floor, diffuser, front wing, rear wing and engine cover are a solid number of upgrades, I would say. You don’t need to go for revolutions, if you’re aware of the potential of your car, but for evolutions and little tweaks to address the issues.

As for the suspension, they seem to have the intention of first testing it in Barcelona testing after the GP.

Good point. Oh there's another test coming up after the GP? Was not aware of that thanks!!

maxxer

Schuttelberg wrote:
10 May 2019, 13:28
When a 5 time world champion, a legend of the sport says no one understands the tyres it really tells us how poor a supplier we are stuck with in a sport loaded with riches. Pirelli is the absolute sh!tt!est thing to have happened to F1.
And to know we will get standard brakes from the organiser also ,it is gonna be a horrible time until f1 breaks away and starts a new series

Restomaniac

Sky are at it again.

Hamilton had a poor morning but is now only 8/10ths down on a hard run to Bottas’s medium run. SKY seemed to have missed that though. Instead going on about how much better Bottas is running.

My bigger concern is that Ferrari are only 2/10ths up on their soft run in comparison to Bottas’ medium run.

Sevach

As expected Ferrari is a match for Mercedes in the fast bits, but not on the slow ones.

LM10

Restomaniac wrote:
10 May 2019, 15:45
My bigger concern is that Ferrari are only 2/10ths up on their soft run in comparison to Bottas’ medium run.
Your concern or your joy?

Schuttelberg

Partymood wrote:
10 May 2019, 14:58
Schuttelberg wrote:
When a 5 time world champion, a legend of the sport says no one understands the tyres it really tells us how poor a supplier we are stuck with in a sport loaded with riches. Pirelli is the absolute sh!tt!est thing to have happened to F1.
Yeah right... No one understand the tires... that's s good one :lol:
There's a saying, that I can't really translate for you so I'll leave it to you to find out what it means. It goes like this:
"Chistu (LH) chiagne e fotte, fotte e chiagne"
Hope you were more aware of forum ethics.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Juzh

Sevach wrote:
10 May 2019, 15:46
As expected Ferrari is a match for Mercedes in the fast bits, but not on the slow ones.
4,5 tenths down in S3 #-o

Only strong point seem to be S1 where they are 2 tenths up, but even that one I'm expecting to equalise when merc turn it up.

Schuttelberg

maxxer wrote:
10 May 2019, 14:37
Schuttelberg wrote:
And to know we will get standard brakes from the organiser also ,it is gonna be a horrible time until f1 breaks away and starts a new series
I am of genuine belief that there's not much broken with the sport. Change the supplier of tyres, lose DRS and take care of wealth distribution.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

dans79

Restomaniac wrote:
10 May 2019, 15:45
Hamilton had a poor morning but is now only 8/10ths down on a hard run to Bottas’s medium run. SKY seemed to have missed that though. Instead going on about how much better Bottas is running.
I'd add that Bottas looks as good as he does, because he is running on the ragged edge. Hammering the curbs like he's been doing, and getting out on the dirt/grass, is playing with a Cobra and hoping you don't get bitten!
197 104 103 7

Schuttelberg

Juzh wrote:
10 May 2019, 15:58
Sevach wrote:
10 May 2019, 15:46
4,5 tenths down in S3 #-o

Only strong point seem to be S1 where they are 2 tenths up, but even that one I'm expecting to equalise when merc turn it up.
Why is everyone so riled up week in week out? The Mercedes is out and out the best car. Ferrari are doing everything they can to break the duck. Sometimes, you have to just give credit where credit is due. What's unacceptable is the pretence that they're underdogs.

dans79

Schuttelberg wrote:
10 May 2019, 16:12
What's unacceptable is the pretence that they're underdogs.
Honestly, I think the Mercedes mind games, are as much a master stroke as any of their technical achievements.
197 104 103 7

Schuttelberg

dans79 wrote:
10 May 2019, 16:19
Schuttelberg wrote:
10 May 2019, 16:12
What's unacceptable is the pretence that they're underdogs.
Honestly, I think the Mercedes mind games, are as much a master stroke as any of their technical achievements.
They're just cheap shots in my opinion. But, if they appear that way to you, who am I to argue? The tech achievements are now approaching ridiculous levels of excellence and combine that with Hamilton's mastery and it's quite an unbeatable combination. I still feel Bottas' results are flattering and Hamilton will begin to put him in his place soon.

If Bottas is beating Leclerc and Vettel so handsomely, I feel Hamilton is not at one with the car and that the Mercedes superiority is far more than what it seems.

Carl Mccoy

Ferrari since Singapore Gp hopeless in slow turns. Nearly half a second in 3rd sector. No mechanical grip? power delivery?