2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
richardn

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Sierra117 wrote:
29 May 2019, 11:40
Isn't there a fork in the road just after the swimming pool chicane? I haven't paid much attention but if it's a parallel road then why not join those two and remove the chicane to make a longer straight, wide enough for two cars to attempt an overtake. Slipstream in the tunnel and then attempt overtake on the following road.
The swimming pool is the second chicane. The main overtaking point is the first chicane and I guess is to slow up the cars before the left hand turn before the swimming pool and is mainly for safety. I suggest having a look on Google Earth to see its normal layout, but basically it would be possible to alter the circuit so the track turns to the left before Portier, then goes round the roundabout and has a slightly longer run through the tunnel. Not sure this would help racing that much, though.

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

seventhsin

With regards to unsafe releases, each team has a visible marker on pit wall opposite the garages and set back towards the pit entry.

When releasing a car from the box, if there is another car in pit lane which has passed a teams marker and is in between the marker and that teams box, you may not release your car. Doing so incurs the unsafe release pentaly.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

ThumbsUp

Jolle wrote:
27 May 2019, 14:09
wickedz50 wrote:
27 May 2019, 13:41
ThumbsUp wrote:
27 May 2019, 13:36
Why isnt Bottas at least been investigated for holding up Max and Vettel? He’s clearly more then 10 car lengths behind Hamilton.

Bottas is entering the pits and Hamilton is just leaving. That’s at least a gap of 5 seconds.

https://streamable.com/6ue8q
Was it not LH who was penalized for driving slowly in Bahrain 2017, blocking Ricardo in the process entering the pits after the safety car for double stacking ? If rules are to be applied the same should be applicable for Bothas. It was indeed strange.
I agree
There was a bit of a loophole. They were not yet behind the safety car so under double waved yellows (where the ten car lengths doesn’t apply). He was also not yet in the pit lane entrance where Hamilton got his penalty for.
Apparently Sirotkin got a 5 sec penalty for the exact same thing as Bottas did. It was in France last year.

"The stewards reviewed the video, team radio communications and GPS data. Car 35 was instructed to stack behind Car 18 and to go "plus 8" The driver of Car 35 then slowed significantly creating a large gap behind Car 18, by driving unnecessarily slowly."

Bottas was also instructed to create a gap with Lewis. As soon as the sc was deployed. From the hairpin to the pits the keep Bottas updated about the gap. So he did actually deserved a 5 sec penalty.

Edit:
I’m fine with the outcome though but it shows again that there is no consistency with ruling penalties

Schuttelberg

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that Mercedes were right to fit mediums at the time they did?
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Just_a_fan

Based on their thoughts about possibility of light rain that didn't need a change to inters, the medium did seem an ok choice as it would have given a marginal improvement over the hard in those conditions. Also, they had data from earlier in the weekend suggesting that the tyre would go the distance, and it did do so. I think they were right at the limit of what the tyre would do, however. A couple more laps and it might have been a different result.

Monaco is the only circuit that you could pull that strategy, however, because of it's unique feature of having no real overtaking places without the leading driver messing up somewhere.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phil

Pretty much my thoughts too. Although i think the data from Thursday was a bit a shorter stint, but the thought was that with a bit more management and the inability to overtake at Monaco should make it possible, as it did.

However, i think it’s being underestimated how hard it was to bring the result home on these tires with an aggressive Max behind. The smallest error would be a near guaranteed DNF at Monaco. I think Ricciardo had a, relatively speaking, easier time last year managing his ERS issue but with working tires than a functioning car with dying tires.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Restomaniac

Phil wrote:
31 May 2019, 13:30
Pretty much my thoughts too. Although i think the data from Thursday was a bit a shorter stint, but the thought was that with a bit more management and the inability to overtake at Monaco should make it possible, as it did.

However, i think it’s being underestimated how hard it was to bring the result home on these tires with an aggressive Max behind. The smallest error would be a near guaranteed DNF at Monaco. I think Ricciardo had a, relatively speaking, easier time last year managing his ERS issue but with working tires than a functioning car with dying tires.
Which is why Hamilton rightly gave Vowels and Bono a Champaign shower as a ‘My job is hard enough FFS’ after the race.

LM10

Phil wrote:
31 May 2019, 13:30

The tyres of max weren’t looking well as well. Both had front left graining to kind of same extend, at least this was the visible part.

TAG

Mercedes in Monaco decision making have a historical tendency to be suspect.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

NathanOlder

So the record for most wins in a row by a team is 11. Mclaren in 88. Can Mercedes attempt to beat that ? Surely Monaco was a huge bogey track from them. Now the hardest test I see for them to beat the record is the Hungaroring.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
31 May 2019, 19:26
So the record for most wins in a row by a team is 11. Mclaren in 88. Can Mercedes attempt to beat that ? Surely Monaco was a huge bogey track from them. Now the hardest test I see for them to beat the record is the Hungaroring.
They are already at 8 in a row... last non Merc win was Mexico.

dans79

If they can win Canada, I think they can probably take every race this season.
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 01:54
NathanOlder wrote:
31 May 2019, 19:26
They are already at 8 in a row... last non Merc win was Mexico.
I think the 11 by Mclaren and 10 by Ferrari were all in 1 season. So has to be in the same season.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC