2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
CriXus

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Leclerc's Q3 lap.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

NathanOlder

CriXus wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:37
Hamilton's Q3 lap.

https://streamable.com/6xgwn
After seeing this, can someone point out the mistake at the hairpin please..... :wtf:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Schuttelberg

zibby43 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:27
Schuttelberg wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:16
Crazy how people are ruling Mercedes out after the long run pace they showed on Friday.
VET is in prime position to cruise into the distance. Even if Ferrari has poor tire management, it's much easier to protect the tires out in the clean air of P1. Tomorrow is "damage limitation" for Mercedes, in my opinion.

A lot will depend on the start. In the meantime, I know you're a pretty big VET fan and it's been a long time since he's been on pole, so I believe congratulations are in order! Pretty darn good lap.
Thanks mate!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

izzy

CriXus wrote:
Hamilton's Q3 lap.

atanatizante

1. AMuS said Merc and Williams were running with lower engine modes in qualy until they find the reason behind Racing Point engine failure, which btw. received a fresh spec.1 PU ... in the speed traps Merc and Williams were quite down and Racing Point traditionally went for a low downforce setup hence their better top speeds ...
2. Bottas on the same medium tyre was on average at least 7 tenths faster than Leclerc yesterday in FP2. Here DRS worth 4 to 5 tenth per lap so it`ll be easy for Lewis to nurse his medium tyres and stretching his first stint in case he couldn`t pass Vettel
3. Track temp should be the same in the race like in qualy and the medium tyre - which btw is C4 compound - was raced only in Baku with the similar track temp (here 50 and there 42 degrees Celsius) and it`ll be interesting to see had Ferrari has overcome their struggle in the race from Baku and in the race simulation laps from FP2 ...
4. One or two stops here? Merc and Red Bull could pull off a one-stop but I don`t think Ferrari could ... maybe an SC could help them out ...
5. Great lap from Ricci and also great results also from all Renault cars on a power track ... on the opposite, bad results for Honda cars, unfortunately ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

search

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:41
CriXus wrote:
Hamilton's Q3 lap.

After seeing this, can someone point out the mistake at the hairpin please..... :wtf:
it's in the Leclerc Q3 video ;P

Nothing of note there to see during Hamilton's lap indeed.

Xwang

The Stewards, having received a report from the Race Director, have considered the following matter and determine the following:
No / Driver
16 - Charles Leclerc
Competitor
Scuderia Ferrari
Time
14:27
Session
Qualifying
Fact
Car 16 went to the right of the bollard at turn 9 contrary to the Race Directors Note no 9.1 (document 2).
Offence
Breach of Article 12.1.1.i of the FIA International Sporting Code.
Decision
Deletion of the relevant lap time (in accordance with Article 31.4 of the FIA F1 Sporting Regulations).
Reason
The Stewards reviewed video evidence, heard from the driver of car 16 (Charles Leclerc) and the team representative.
LEC re-joined the track safely, recognized his error and aborted his lap in order not to gain a sporting advantage.
It should be noted that had this incident occurred during the race a Time Penalty would have been imposed.
Competitors are reminded that they have the right to appeal certain decisions of the Stewards, in accordance with Article 15 of the FIA International Sporting Code and Article 9.1.1 of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, within the applicable time limits.

https://www.fia.com/file/82073/download/27937

matt_b

CriXus wrote:
Hamilton's Q3 lap.

Thanks for this, great seeing the outlap and how they manage the gap and prepare the tyres. Lap looked great didn't see any obvious mistakes anywhere.

Phil

pb6797 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:18
If both cars were exactly even in straight line speed and who was faster was entirely down to DRS then even if Hamilton was able to get past Vettel, Vettel would then have DRS on the next lap while Hamilton woulnd't and thus they would simply trade places each lap.

As it stands, you can see from the speed trap and sector data that it's distinctly uneven as the Ferraris definitely do have a straight line speed advantage. So at best Hamilton will be able to use DRS to stay in touch, at the risk of burning out his tyres trying to stay close behind in the bendy bits. At worst he'll have to accept third place as Leclerc will breeze past on the straight with the benefit of DRS + more power.
I think in your situation, the car with the higher top speed but slower in two sectors is more vulnerable. Being faster in the corners will allow that car to gain DRS which could lead to a successfull overtake. Once done, being faster in those two corners will ensure that the car behind will drop out of DRS, hence the advantage on the straight is minimized/nullified. The DRS detection zone is before the straight, not after.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

atanatizante

You could clearly see that before turn 10 delta speed from Vettel`s comes up from 270km/h, with just 3km/h more when Lewis reaches 280km/h and 4km/h more at 294km/h (when he brakes for the corner) ...
Then, after the hairpin Merc gets out of MGU-H juice and delta speeds could be seen just from 250km/h above, reaching between 7 and even 9km/h in their top speed ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Shrieker

CriXus wrote:
Hamilton's Q3 lap.

I just don't see a mistake there down at the chicane. Upon returning to the pits, Ham said "sorry guys I just couldn't go any quicker".
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Shrieker

atanatizante wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:56
1. AMuS said Merc and Williams were running with lower engine modes in qualy until they find the reason behind Racing Point engine failure, which btw. received a fresh spec.1 PU ... in the speed traps Merc and Williams were quite down and Racing Point traditionally went for a low downforce setup hence their better top speeds ...
Honestly that's what I thought as well. Just don't make any sense, Ferrari clearly had the legs down the back straight.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Edax

zeph wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:26
Not a bad pole lap for a guy who is supposedly on the brink of retirement :-)

Let’s hope Ferrari can steal a few from Mercedes, so it at least looks like a championship fight.
Yeah... its been a while since I have seen Vettel this focussed. I wonder whether that has to do with Leclerc’s arrival.

Webber2011

Interesting that both Hamilton and Bottas have no new sets of medium tyres left.

I wish we could see how many laps all the used tyres had done.