2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

fouad1979 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:26
mwillems wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:20
Ground Effect wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:22
Can somebody please remind me where McLaren qualified a year ago in Canada? It appears some fans are mistaking hardcore with deluded. Hardcore is supporting your team, your drivers irrespective of the situation. Not praising them when they do well, and knocking them when the disappoint. Maybe Mercedes should replace Bottas with Ocon in the next race for qualifying 5th. If Sainz had qualified 4th people on here would be saying he’s the best thing since sliced bread. McLaren are trying to get back to the top, meaning that we’re not at the top, but people want us to sign Max and Lewis. I’m hoping for points tomorrow, for Carlos to be fired up, I’d rather be supportive than moan.
I like both. I want him to do well, I want him to come through and get our first podium in years, I will jump and and down with delight for him if he does. But if he keeps making silly mistakes then I will likely feel the opposite! He's a nice guy and the car is looking good, but this is a cutthroat sport and he needs to up his game a lot because frankly he is letting the car and team down a little bit at the moment.
Yes He's just inconsistent ricciardo is 4 in the grid and i dont think the renault is faster but a top driver deliver when it count now his 12 with the penalty just hope with the strategy he'll take a point or 2
I disagree, Carlos is not inconsistent. His F1 record shows anything but inconsistency. In his 3 clean races, he has consistently scored points. He’s consistently one of the best starters on the grid, irrespective of what car he has been driving. He has consistently qualified in the top 10 in some races for 3 different teams, consistently scored points in Spain and Monaco, again, for 3 different teams. He has consistently scored more points every year of his career. He had a bad day at the office yesterday, (at least 5 drivers also had bad days) but to label him inconsistent is unfair. Let’s hope he turns it around in the race, like he has been consistently doing.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis

Maybe we can now shut up about the Renault.

f1rules

renault really showed this weekend thats its a decent PU, absolutely!

Bill

I think we have to wait for silverstone to judge engines performance teams would be forced to put on downforce.overcoming drag from wing and tyre resistance in high speed corners you need great engine.Being fast in a straight line does not require that much power some teams have chosen to put more wing protect the tyres over the long run

bauc

Remind me please, does Carlos now (after penalty) have a free tire choice or no?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

_cerber1

bauc wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 09:18
Remind me please, does Carlos now (after penalty) have a free tire choice or no?
No, it will start on red.

BosF1

bauc wrote:
No, he officially qualified 9th and that is all that matters under the current rules. That he will start from a different position doesn't affect that.

f1rules

absolutely not, most teams run high df here, and montreal is top 2 when it comes to power sensitivity, so this is definitly a valid indication
Bill wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 08:51
I think we have to wait for silverstone to judge engines performance teams would be forced to put on downforce.overcoming drag from wing and tyre resistance in high speed corners you need great engine.Being fast in a straight line does not require that much power some teams have chosen to put more wing protect the tyres over the long run

bauc

BosF1 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 09:24
bauc wrote:
No, he officially qualified 9th and that is all that matters under the current rules. That he will start from a different position doesn't affect that.
thank you both
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mclaren111

Tyres available for the race...

Andres125sx

bauc wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 21:28
What happened to SAI in Q3?
He said for the spanish TV Renault was a bit faster, and while trying to beat Hulkemberg, trying to do a 11.3 wich was out of reach, he did a 13.8

Andres125sx

mclaren113 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:08
fouad1979 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 21:48
mclaren113 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 21:29
Our race pace is way faster than the Renault..so finger crossed for tomorrow
Race pace in FP2 these nt indicate the right times and in canada the 1 two corners are realy dangerous at the start usualy there ar always crashes there
Well I think with clean start and good strategies we'll pass the 2 Renaults
Did you notice Ricciardo qualified 4th? :roll:

Andres125sx

mwillems wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:15
proteus wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 21:37
max_speed wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 21:33

mclaren hardcore fans will never settle for mediocre performance. we are not expecting to put the car in top 5 but going by the standard we should have been closer to renault and should have taken 6th spot. Drivers should put the car where it belongs, that is what top drivers do.
Send them a letter with your demands. Im sure they will get their act together because of it.
Even worse, a Howler like in Harry Potter.

Pretty decent day today, not as great is we'd like, but certainly not bad. In race pace we will naturally be faster and I think we can push for a P6 on merit and given some luck, maybe a bit more. Hopefully we will stay out of trouble tomorrow and make the right strategy calls.

However, I will repeat myself once more, Carlos is not a team leader, he is not a bad driver at all, but he is not a strong driver and will need to be replaced either next season or the season after. Too many times he makes a small misjudgement with a larger cost. However, he is great value for money and good enough to give us some good results whilst we take the massive savings on salary and develop the car.
Sorry but what a load of bs... What Carlos is proving is great consistency. Maybe you´re confusing his bad luck if first GPs with poor perfomance. Big mistake my friend

small misjudgement with larger cost.... What cost? In qualifying Renault was faster, not sure about the reason but it´s pretty obvious, so McLaren normal place was 9th and 10th, or 8th and 9th after Verstappen disaster. And that´s what they did, 8th and 9th. So, what cost are you talking about?

In qualifying I also thought what a big mistake to not complete a lap, but further analysis made me realize that was the perfect situation to take risks. Thanks to Magnussen crash they had guarateed 8th and 9th places, so they could only win some more if beating some Renault, but once both cars were in Q3 they could loose nothing at all (8th and 9th anycase)

So he tried his best to beat a car wich was a bit faster because he could loose nothing. He failed, but lost nothing. That´s exactly the only situation I can think about where a F1 driver can take more risks than usual, when it´s a situation with nothing to loose, but some place to win if he manage to do a perfect lap

To me that´s showing maturity, he perfectly knows when he can take some risks, and when he shouldn´t

Andres125sx

mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 01:24
zoroastar wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:50
mwillems wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:15

Even worse, a Howler like in Harry Potter.

Pretty decent day today, not as great is we'd like, but certainly not bad. In race pace we will naturally be faster and I think we can push for a P6 on merit and given some luck, maybe a bit more. Hopefully we will stay out of trouble tomorrow and make the right strategy calls.

However, I will repeat myself once more, Carlos is not a team leader, he is not a bad driver at all, but he is not a strong driver and will need to be replaced either next season or the season after. Too many times he makes a small misjudgement with a larger cost. However, he is great value for money and good enough to give us some good results whilst we take the massive savings on salary and develop the car.
really? so what do you suppose they do with the guy that he beats almost every week that he has a clean race? i remember sainz being right there with verstappen in their rookie season. i dont think anyone has enough evidence to say that carlos cant compete with most drivers in the same car. maybe he cant, and maybe he can, but one qualy session doesnt tell us one way or the other.
I didn't say it was based on one qualy session, and I'm unsure as to why you'd think that. He's made multiple mistakes at crucial times and has now compromised 3 out of 6 races.

I dont doubt his pace, I doubt his consistency and judgement this season.

I personally dont factor in his performance from years back. He's not number 1 driver level right now no matter what promise he showed in the past.
And I doubt YOUR judgement and bias sincerely.... He compromised 3 out of 6 races? What parallel dimension did you come from?

mwillems

mwillems wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:20
Ground Effect wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:22
Can somebody please remind me where McLaren qualified a year ago in Canada? It appears some fans are mistaking hardcore with deluded. Hardcore is supporting your team, your drivers irrespective of the situation. Not praising them when they do well, and knocking them when the disappoint. Maybe Mercedes should replace Bottas with Ocon in the next race for qualifying 5th. If Sainz had qualified 4th people on here would be saying he’s the best thing since sliced bread. McLaren are trying to get back to the top, meaning that we’re not at the top, but people want us to sign Max and Lewis. I’m hoping for points tomorrow, for Carlos to be fired up, I’d rather be supportive than moan.
I like both. I want him to do well, I want him to come through and get our first podium in years, I will jump and and down with delight for him if he does. But if he keeps making silly mistakes then I will likely feel the opposite! He's a nice guy and the car is looking good, but this is a cutthroat sport and he needs to up his game a lot because frankly he is letting the car and team down a little bit at the moment.
Wow rated negatively because someone doesn't like my opinion. What a great environment.

Just read the feedback, apparently expressing an opinion that someone doesn't like is having an "unfounded rant" :D :D =D> =D> =D>

It doesn't surprise me that the person giving me the rude response to me is the same person that was lashing out at someone else on here the other day for saying "you're wrong" to another user, perhaps dial down the sensitivity a little.... :lol:
Last edited by mwillems on 09 Jun 2019, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.