Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vogonvader

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Bill wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 13:18
According to Toto Mercedes built a car with a lot of downforce but with a drag penalty to make tyres to work and get the most out of them Ferrari had done the opposite this explains the difference in top speed between to teams
Hasn't this already been talked over a thousand times since the season began? Do we really need the same deduction yet every weekend?

bosyber

siskue2005 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 11:18
bosyber wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 11:03
The comparison video from Q3 indicates Vettel loses in the early (breaking phase?) of the slower corners, doesn't it?
From the graphics, he loses as soon as we brake for the corner and also continues to lose time (until the corner exit when the traction out of the corner is no longer dependent on mechanical suspension/downforce and pure engine power kicks in.)
You can verify that in the video below (btw great comparison)
[CUT out the very video I was talking about]
No need to verify what I already saw, and commented on, right (we? eh, right)?

Anyway, what I meant, was, as seen from that video, is indeed that Vettel starts losing from braking into the corner; not that he stops losing after that; but from the 'Ferrari loses in the slow corners' I didn't get that they were losing so much already during braking - makes sense that then he's much slower going into it so loses until he can get onto the power.

TheFluffy

siskue2005 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 12:26
TheFluffy wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 12:15

Admittedly, the source of Mercedes having a more fuel efficient engine is from last year (I think it was amus) but it did say (at least for last year) they had a more efficient ICE. Of course, lots can change but extrapolating from last year's knowledge maybe it remains status quo.

Also, this is a very superficial observation, but the crazy packaging that Mercedes are able to achieve with their car may be down to having an efficient engine. Of course, it is probably predominantly because of their better cooling system. But efficiency MAY play a part.
So based on just the fuel efficiency which was reported in 2018 you are saying Mercedes still the best engine?
1. even when ferrari can run higher engine modes through out the weekend,
2. even when ferrari can go faster in mid straights
https://serving.photos.photobox.com/549 ... 35c588.jpg
3. even when ferrari can have letter boxes as their sidepod entry for last 2 years
4. even when ferrari can pull out 0.3 sec just in one straight
https://serving.photos.photobox.com/653 ... dd718c.jpg
5. even when other ferrari powered teams are also power full

Still Mercedes engine is better than ferrari's!?
Right!!
Firstly, if you look at my initial comment I only said that the discussion can not be put to bed. I am recognising there are clear advantages in Ferrari's engine, but you are neglecting the advantages that Mercedes may have over the Ferrari. So I don't think the advantages that Ferrari have atm can absolutely outweigh the disadvantages it may have.

Furthermore, I feel like you are exaggerating how small Ferrari's sidepod inlet (especially since they increased the size of it to accommodate the smaller airbox) Mercedes is still one of the smallest on the grid. Furthermore it seemed you ignored my point about packaging, because Mercedes' packaging is second to none.

Also generally, Ferrari since 2018 has adopted a low-drag concept (unlike Mercedes) with their car so it makes sense that they can have the top speed and gain time on sector 3.
Last edited by TheFluffy on 09 Jun 2019, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

CLKGTR

Vettel and Leclerc 1-2 in 3 out of 4 speed measurements, but only 5 km/h between 2nd and 19th top speed on the longest straight

2019 Canadian GP – Qualifying – Ferrari sets top speed standard in all sectors

SmallSoldier

Found the following picture, which I think it’s from one of the FP sessions (FP3)... Is Ferrari running different brake drums left/right?...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MtthsMlw

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 15:42
Found the following picture, which I think it’s from one of the FP sessions (FP3)... Is Ferrari running different brake drums left/right?...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201906 ... 5fbb06.jpg
Yes it's quite a common practice. Sometimes just for comparisons or for heating the tyres differently depending on the circuit.

SmallSoldier

MtthsMlw wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 15:42

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201906 ... 5fbb06.jpg
Yes it's quite a common practice. Sometimes just for comparisons or for heating the tyres differently depending on the circuit.
Thanks... First time I noticed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tzk
Tzk

All teams do this because not all circuits put equal load on the left and right tires.

Carl Mccoy

Maybe Monza? ☺

DiogoBrand

Tzk wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 23:11
All teams do this because not all circuits put equal load on the left and right tires.
I'm not sure that's the reason. Unless you're locking up a wheel, the load on both brakes should be the same.
I think @MtthsMlw 's explanation makes more sense, that they would do this only to test both solutions and find out which one is the best for the situation.

vogonvader

Now that the heat dies down a little, I wonder if Austria and France can turn out 2 other tracks where Ferrari might pull off another Canada? They both have long straights for Ferrari to take advantage of.

dans79

vogonvader wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 18:00
Now that the heat dies down a little, I wonder if Austria and France can turn out 2 other tracks where Ferrari might pull off another Canada? They both have long straights for Ferrari to take advantage of.
if the heat dies down it'll be the opposite, Ferrari has a problem keeping heat in the tires not overheating them.
197 104 103 7

timbo

vogonvader wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 18:00
I think they have a good chance in Austria, especially with the right weather. Not sure about France, they were not on the pace there last year.

f1316

Agree re Austria - I think the key for France and any other circuits that are less stop/start/full throttle is what they’re bringing in terms of front wing (which apparently is slated for Paul Ricard).

If they’re able to get more front downforce without compromising their overall concept - and can therefore better balance the car + get tyres in the window - I think they may have a chance; there’s lots of on throttle in France/Britain which could be good presuming they can get rid of the huge understeer they have.

zibby43

f1316 wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 17:14
If they’re able to get more front downforce without compromising their overall concept - and can therefore better balance the car + get tyres in the window . . .
In other words, if they are able to completely rectify all of their problems.