2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Shakeman wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:05
The only way Ferrari win today is if HAM is taken out at the start.

If VET doesn't choke under the intense examination by HAM the Ferrari pitwall strategists will choke.

I cannot see past HAM in a straight fight, VET does not have enough car advantage* to put him in a safe place. *unless today's temperatures adversely affect the Merc.
How very prescient of you! =D> =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shrieker

Juzh wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:51

"It's his call if he decides to go that way, if he'd gone the inside he'd have gone past me"

So yeah, just the usual clueless people talking BS when they don't check the facts beforehand.
To me, that's a clear admission of "he would've overtaken me, had I not squeezed him into the wall" :wink:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

DiogoBrand

enckboaz wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:52
i dont get how someone could love racing and be happy with this kind of decisions....
i guess this sport is dead for so long that people forgot what makes racing great.

and trust me, im not a ferrari fan
So the stewards should take excitement in consideration when handing penalties?
That's a good idea. So when someone is 30 seconds in the lead they should get a 30 second penalty, that would make everything way more exciting.

Hammerfist

ringo wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:40
Ferrari had the faster car today which bodes well looking ahead.
The car had very good pace, even when Mercedes felt super confident about their race pace. The Ferrari was just that little bit more faster.
The only reason Lewis was closing on seb was possibly his confidence under braking and with the car sliding from the wear of the tyres.
Leclerc showed me today that he could have caught Lewis had he been giving an optimal strategy from Ferrari.
So all in all the Ferrari's can challenge, they only have to figure out how to deal with Hamilton and his signature pressuring of vettel.
Sorry, but this does not give Ferrari anything to look forward to. This is one of the few track layouts that favored their cars and they had to score a win here. They didn't. I suspect normal service will resume once we get back to the more conventional tracks, where Mercedes completely trounces them.

falonso81

Natural selection is indeed a miracle!

Wynters

DiogoBrand wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:53
Juzh wrote:
Wynters wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:42
I don't think he said "If I had gone..." I believe he said "If he had gone..."
I downloaded and listen to whole vettel's radio just now and this is what he said:
"It's his call if he decides to go that way, if he'd gone the inside he'd have gone past me"

So yeah, just the usual clueless people talking BS when they don't check the facts beforehand.
So it was Lewis' fault for not guessing which way he should've gone after Sebastian returns from his trip to the grass.
No, that's not what's being said.

The initial position was that Vettel claimed he (Vettel) could've stayed on the inside line. That was both untrue and significantly impacted some people's view of the event. Juzh was correcting that misconception.

BillS

timbo wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:50
I remember there was a message to Seb about some reading on the dashboard being correct and that he had to take action for it.
I wonder if he had to save fuel in the second half of the race.
I would say that's the reason, Seb was lift & coasting a bit more than Lewis even before that team radio.

Shrieker

Juzh wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:55
Shrieker wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:54
Juzh wrote:

To me, that's a clear admission of "he would've overtaken me, had I not squeezed him into the wall" :wink:
Then you must be very short sighted.
Oh come on. No need for ad hominem. You know very well that when one goes across gravel/grass, they don't rejoin and immediately try to cover the racing line. This is racing, and Vettel wanted to preserve his position after making a mistake, but it wasn't to be. Set aside the fan glasses just for once.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Restomaniac

DiogoBrand wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Wynters wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:42
I don't think he said "If I had gone..." I believe he said "If he had gone..."
I downloaded and listen to whole vettel's radio just now and this is what he said:

So it was Lewis' fault for not guessing which way he should've gone after Sebastian returns from his trip to the grass.
It’s the same argument as in Spain 2016 when Hamilton went to the Natural overtaking position and was blamed for Rosberg having his engine in the wrong setup and being out of position.

A racer sees an overtake and he goes for it! Simple.

I’m not blaming anyone but Hamilton went where every racer worth his salt would have gone.

Just_a_fan

We keep being told that F1 must change in order to make more overtaking etc. Can anyone say that the duel between Hamilton and Vettel - which resulted in no overtakes at all - wasn't exciting and enthralling and sucked you in? Ignore the penalty and all that stuff, just think about the racing up to that point. They were give and take for lap after lap. It was proper racing and there wasn't an overtake in sight. F1 should be looking at that, not how to make overtaking so easy that my dog could do it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

komninosm

Unf wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:13
First of all - driver who don't do mistakes is better. Ham was clearly better.
Second - Vettel knew excatly what he was doing - he even did tiny right-turn at the end to be 100% sure that he will block HAM beside the wall. He wanted to blck and he did it. Is it proper way to go back to track? No. Is it in "race spirit"? Yes it is. Is it allowed due to rules? Nope. So penalty was right.
/thread

V12-POWER

DiogoBrand wrote:

That's a good idea. So when someone is 30 seconds in the lead they should get a 30 second penalty, that would make everything way more exciting.
Go watch golf if you like borefests. Your comment makes no sense, but hey +1 for boring, over-regulated, politically correct, zero-testosterone F1.

enckboaz

DiogoBrand wrote:
enckboaz wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:52
i dont get how someone could love racing and be happy with this kind of decisions....
i guess this sport is dead for so long that people forgot what makes racing great.

and trust me, im not a ferrari fan
Sorry but when did i say that? :?:

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:16
I have two thoughts, first, if they didn't apply a penalty, nobody, including Mercedes, would have objected. But second, I feel that the penalty wasn't for the initial re-entry back on track, but the final squeeze towards the wall. It does happen in a split second but it's that style of driving that Vettel has, that small extra unnecessary move as a reaction being in a disadvantage position. Bit like Schumacher and Rosberg had as well. Bit nasty.... and for that, I do feel that at least a reprimande was in order. If you look at the Ricciardo/Hamilton moment at Monaco in 2016, he left him precisely 1 car plus 2 inches space.

Anyway, I don't feel Vettel was robbed of a win, Hamilton forced him into a mistake and he was lucky that he didn't put in the wall. We were robbed of a potential epic battle for the last ten laps.

anyway, another missed opportunity from Vettel.

This 100%
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Juzh

Wynters wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:56
DiogoBrand wrote:
Juzh wrote:

No, that's not what's being said.

The initial position was that Vettel claimed he (Vettel) could've stayed on the inside line. That was both untrue and significantly impacted some people's view of the event. Juzh was correcting that misconception.
how dare you talking sense around here :D