Williams FW42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bill shoe

Re: Williams FW42

Drica wrote:
22 May 2019, 20:47
There is this video on youtube which has the onboards from Barcelona T9 from every car. Kubica's approach to the turn was completely different to Russell's, to the extent that Kubica braked on entry, thus had some 20kph lower apex speed to Russell who had only lifted prior to the apex.

Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZjTGSUWgtc
Great video, yes.

Kubica peaks at 256 kph on entry just before his early lift, and speed during corner falls to min of 235 kph.

Russell peaks at 260 kph on entry, breathes it later, and speed falls to min of 250 kph. He is much more planted and solid and committed all the way through. I've looked at it several times and I'm not clear if this difference is down to car or driver. But it's a large difference.

All the other cars have a few things in common. They enter slightly faster due to little or no lift, then they hold their corner speed dead-nuts steady, it's really not a transient longitudinal situation for them. They hit low 260's on entry and stay at or above 260 thru the rest of the corner. The really strong cars in Q3 are getting up to mid to high 260's and maintaining that.

Great demo of F1 differences at the limit of car and driver, and of course a demo of one team that's really struggling.

Morteza

A close up of Williams front wheel also reveals the brake duct detail behind. You’ll note the silver outlet scoop in the frontal portion that delivers airflow captured by the inboard brake duct scoop and passes it out through the wheel face to reduce the aerodynamic turbulence being created by the wheel and tyre.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

skwdenyer

bill shoe wrote:
23 May 2019, 03:24
Drica wrote:
22 May 2019, 20:47
There is this video on youtube which has the onboards from Barcelona T9 from every car. Kubica's approach to the turn was completely different to Russell's, to the extent that Kubica braked on entry, thus had some 20kph lower apex speed to Russell who had only lifted prior to the apex.

Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZjTGSUWgtc
Great video, yes.

Kubica peaks at 256 kph on entry just before his early lift, and speed during corner falls to min of 235 kph.

Russell peaks at 260 kph on entry, breathes it later, and speed falls to min of 250 kph. He is much more planted and solid and committed all the way through. I've looked at it several times and I'm not clear if this difference is down to car or driver. But it's a large difference.

All the other cars have a few things in common. They enter slightly faster due to little or no lift, then they hold their corner speed dead-nuts steady, it's really not a transient longitudinal situation for them. They hit low 260's on entry and stay at or above 260 thru the rest of the corner. The really strong cars in Q3 are getting up to mid to high 260's and maintaining that.

Great demo of F1 differences at the limit of car and driver, and of course a demo of one team that's really struggling.
Interesting video. If you look at the speeds post-corner at a fixed reference point (white lines on the left), we find:

Kubica: 282
Russell: 290
Vettel: 294
Hulkenberg: 288
Albon: 289
Grosjean: 292
Bottas: 290
Raikkonen: 292
Ricciardo: 292
Kvyat: (video cut off early)
Norris: 293
Magnussen: 295
Leclerc (Q3): 296

It isn't clear if all the early times are the quickest laps or not? If so, quite a difference, but not all speeds are quite what we might think they would be.

Comparing T7 speeds at the same point in the curve between Russell and Kubica shows Robert 10kph down at the same point in T7 (at the marker I used as a reference, 151 vs 161). That compromises T8 - Robert is down and can't make it all back - at T8 exit there's 6kph in it. That in turn impacts on corner entry speeds - as above, Robert is slightly slower than George at T9 lift (the same 6kph).

Why does Robert brake in T9? Well, at turn-in he has his left wheels on the white line. But he's a fraction later to turn in than George (a couple of metres), so his LF wheel is actually just on the grass, and likely his LR was too. He brakes (I believe) to try to get the car to turn in better from that compromised position. The car slightly over-rotates (well, more likely the car doesn't wash out as he's lost speed) so his RF ends up on the inside curb, so he can't get the power down early either.

If you look at the side-by-side on-boards from Bahrain, you'll see that in quali Robert was ahead of George for the first few corners, then lost out through poor traction on one bend and was behind. Robert was faster than George in Bahrain sector 3 in quali, but not enough to make up a single corner's worth of poor traction.

I'd love to see more on-board footage. Where do people find these things?

Morteza

Williams has developed the pushrod system (POU) similar to the one that was the source of much talks in Mercedes.
Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bill shoe

Morteza wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 23:11
Williams has developed the pushrod system (POU) similar to the one that was the source of much talks in Mercedes.
Yea, that type of inset ball-joint is universal now. So the question becomes-- How does Merc lower the front-end more in tight corners than the other cars, and is that extra lowering really the key to how they can drift the limo-length wheelbase around the tightest turns?

ScrewCaptain27

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Morteza

Tattoo-

New (pushrod):

Old:
"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

humble sabot

The new parts look pretty chunky. Russell had another car between him and Kubica at the end, but i didn't watch the race. How was it behaving?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Tattoo-

humble sabot wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 06:00
The new parts look pretty chunky.
To be honest complete suspension assembly looks pretty chunky, compared to other (top) teams! :oops:
"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

roon

Tattoo- wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 10:37
humble sabot wrote:
The new parts look pretty chunky.
To be honest complete suspension assembly looks pretty chunky, compared to other (top) teams! :oops:
Part of it is because the whole knuckle is covered in a rubber sheath.

humble sabot

I was remarking particularly in relation to the prior version, the shrouds seem to have ballooned both on the pushrod and the upper control arm. A little less so on the latter, but the increase is still there. I wonder if they were looking for more articulation?
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

netoperek

humble sabot wrote:
The new parts look pretty chunky. Russell had another car between him and Kubica at the end, but i didn't watch the race. How was it behaving?
I don't know if they both had same specs installed. On the onboards You can see Russels car improve in driveability a lot with update. It finally drives quite smoothly.
The other car though... Had problems going straight while braking. Actually it kept steadily deteriorating since FP1, when it was pretty ok.

Webber2011

netoperek wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 00:10
humble sabot wrote:
I don't know if they both had same specs installed. On the onboards You can see Russels car improve in driveability a lot with update. It finally drives quite smoothly.
The other car though... Had problems going straight while braking. Actually it kept steadily deteriorating since FP1, when it was pretty ok.
That's really bad.
Must be very disheartening to drive.

I love Williams, they have been my number one team since 1978 when I first watched a Formula One race, but man, how they have fallen 😥😪

humble sabot

I was watching the FP1 clip from the official channel on yt, and the sidepod looks like it cuts down to the floor more completely than before. Tell me I'm crazy:

https://youtu.be/ywq0S_iL8ME?t=139
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance