2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

GoranF1 wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 00:01
mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 23:46
Hmm, well I didn't factor in penalties, overheating rears and brakes melting suspension parts into my optimism for this race.

Looks like Renault are back in the game, at least for this race. Should be a good fight over the next few races.
I dont think either Renault or Ferrari are back...this is a specific track, they were good in Bahrain, here and they will be good in Monza and Mexico(maybe)
I dont think Ferrari are either, sheer power kept them ahead. But considering that the McLaren is based on aerodynamic efficiency you'd think that the the straights here would tip the favour towards mcl over Renault, but they didn't.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 00:01
mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 23:46
Hmm, well I didn't factor in penalties, overheating rears and brakes melting suspension parts into my optimism for this race.

Looks like Renault are back in the game, at least for this race. Should be a good fight over the next few races.
I dont think either Renault or Ferrari are back...this is a specific track, they were good in Bahrain, here and they will be good in Monza and Mexico(maybe)
I dont think Ferrari are either, sheer power kept them ahead. But considering that the McLaren is based on aerodynamic efficiency you'd think that the the straights here would tip the favour towards mcl over Renault, but they didn't.
I guess we will never know how good the car could have been... Carlos’ Race was compromised in lap 4 and couldn’t show his actual pace through the race while trying to conserve his tires... And Lando’s Race was over at the beginning of the race too.

Still a lot of racing ahead of us this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_cerber1

Paul Ricard, is McLaren not very suitable?

chrisgr

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 07:33
I dont think it matters alot. Look what happened in Canada, where track suits us. Anyway, both cars had a problem with brakes. It cant be a coincidence, even if Sainz only had some debris. We lost double points score for brake problems.

edit: Because Paul Ricard is Renault's home race, I suppose they will bring a lot of updates. Mclaren is a (marginally) better car all around until now but things can change easily.

Andres125sx

So brakes problems on both cars, presumably both due to debris blocking air intakes, compromised Carlos race forcing to do 67 laps on same tires, and melting Lando suspension. It´s a shame since McLaren was performing really well this weekend

Some will say drivers did underperform again tough :roll:

_cerber1

chrisgr wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 08:09
_cerber1 wrote:
I dont think it matters alot. Look what happened in Canada, where track suits us. Anyway, both cars had a problem with brakes. It cant be a coincidence, even if Sainz only had some debris. We lost double points score for brake problems.

edit: Because Paul Ricard is Renault's home race, I suppose they will bring a lot of updates. Mclaren is a (marginally) better car all around until now but things can change easily.
French track is limited in front? It seems that this is not very suitable for our chassis.

mwillems

Andres125sx wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 08:21
So brakes problems on both cars, presumably both due to debris blocking air intakes, compromised Carlos race forcing to do 67 laps on same tires, and melting Lando suspension. It´s a shame since McLaren was performing really well this weekend

Some will say drivers did underperform again tough :roll:
I'm not sure anyone has looked at mechanical failures / issues and blamed the drivers, it's just you putting that out there I think, but if it suits you're narrative then i dont mind 😊
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

bauc

So Renault is bringing update package to their home race in two weeks time, should we expect Mclaren to use Silverstone for theirs? I have't heard anything yet tho....
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

M840TR

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 08:34
chrisgr wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:

French track is limited in front? It seems that this is not very suitable for our chassis.
It's quite front limited indeed. Sort of like Barcelona. Judging by the pattern so far the performance will probably be quite bad. Renault is bringing a substantial upgrade as well while still being a bit ahead on pace currently, so the outlook looks bleak in terms of pace.

M840TR

bauc wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 13:58
So Renault is bringing update package to their home race in two weeks time, should we expect Mclaren to use Silverstone for theirs? I have't heard anything yet tho....
They had production issues, otherwise the upgrade was scheduled for earlier. As for Mclaren, that's the second new floor in only 2 races so they're on it.

godlameroso

_cerber1 wrote:
chrisgr wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:

Its front limited in the final 3 curves which are long and low speed. All other corners have relatively fast entries, save the slowest turn which leads onto the back straight.

Alonso managed to score points there last year. They can do it again with a trouble free weekend. The car is fast enough to finish every race in the points, and getting better every round. There are still costly operational errors holding them back.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect

godlameroso wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 16:56
_cerber1 wrote:
chrisgr wrote:

Its front limited in the final 3 curves which are long and low speed. All other corners have relatively fast entries, save the slowest turn which leads onto the back straight.

Alonso managed to score points there last year. They can do it again with a trouble free weekend. The car is fast enough to finish every race in the points, and getting better every round. There are still costly operational errors holding them back.
Alonso was a DNF at Paul Ricard last year.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 14:06
_cerber1 wrote:
chrisgr wrote:

It's quite front limited indeed. Sort of like Barcelona. Judging by the pattern so far the performance will probably be quite bad. Renault is bringing a substantial upgrade as well while still being a bit ahead on pace currently, so the outlook looks bleak in terms of pace.
It all depends on how accurate some of the speeds are. It isn't clear to me if McLaren are front end limited at slow speeds and not so much at high speed.

There was talk about removing turns 8 and 9 from the 2019 configuration last year.

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 16:56
_cerber1 wrote:
chrisgr wrote:

Wait, no...

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 19:35
M840TR wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 14:06
_cerber1 wrote:

It all depends on how accurate some of the speeds are. It isn't clear to me if McLaren are front end limited at slow speeds and not so much at high speed.

There was talk about removing turns 8 and 9 from the 2019 configuration last year.
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ck-map.jpg
Understeer mostly hits at high entry speed, doesn't matter if the corner is slow or fast.