2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

nokivasara wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 21:35
Once again a great quali from Ricciardo, P4! 6-1. He's like a sniper, always there to grab a good result when the opportunity arises.
Good job from Hulk aswell!
Hoping for a clean race for them both.
Not to take too much away from Ricciardo's performance or his general abilities,
but it's a very tainted picture and not at all a representation of reality.

Bottas messed up big time, which is first of all making Ricciardo lucky.
The Renault is not even remotely a match for the Mercedes. Bottas should
have qualified 4th the worst, which would move Danny to 5th.

Max was unlucky, paired with bad decision to wait till the last moment, to be kicked out of Q2
due to the red flag situation.

Max would have be either 4th or 5th, definately in front of the Renault, so Danny would be 6th.

Danny benefitted a lot from the situation. All he really did was beat his teammate and gasly,
and Gasly also had some issues with the car, even though i don't have Gasly so high up my list at all.

If, and i know we're talking if's, but if things panned out 'normally', then Danny would have been P6,
followed by Gasly, and then Hulkenberg P8. Worse even, if you'd concider that if gasly's car would have
been trouble free, like it was the case with Ricciardo, then it's very, very, very probable that Gasly
ended up in front of Daniel, and Danny would have been p7 with the exact same lap.

last race he started 10th and finished 12th, whilst Hulkenberg started from the Pitlane and finished
behind him P13, just 2.5 seconds behind him.

All that talk and hyping about him being p4 is a very very tainted picture and blown out of proportions.

Just wait for the race, he'll be nowhere. And that's not because there's anything wrong with Daniel,
i think he's a fantastic driver and fast as bloody hell. But Renault isn't going to get him anywhere.
Again, realistically, his Qually position is P6, just 1 car between him and Hulkenberg, a solid driver,
but never a fantastic driver and one that is in a arguably more boring and boring phase of his career,
hence, a whole lot less motivated.

Sorry for being a negative nancy here but i don't see even remotely anything impressive.
It also shows once again just how bad of a decision it was to leave RedBull.
Danny is miles and miles better than gasly, who had trouble during qually. That means in a RedBull,
danny would, at the very least, also have qualified 4th.
Knowing he is not just at the same level of Max, who gets overhyped from time to time too,
but in many cases shown to beat him just as well, then i'd say that Danny would have been very much
able to go for P3 even in a RedBull, like Max might have managed had he not been at the wrong place at the wrong time due to poor decisionship.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Mansell89

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 14:17
Renault reminds of 2003 and 2004 when they were catching up quickly....
Whilst it’s great to be within 6 tenths of the Merc, it is one race and Renault need to consistently closing that gap to be considered on the up.

Would love them and McLaren to join the fight but it’s still a while away in my opinion

Mclarensenna

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 15:55
nokivasara wrote:
Once again a great quali from Ricciardo, P4! 6-1. He's like a sniper, always there to grab a good result when the opportunity arises.
Not to take too much away from Ricciardo's performance or his general abilities,

Max was unlucky, paired with bad decision to wait till the last moment, to be kicked out of Q2

Max would have be either 4th or 5th, definately in front of the Renault, so Danny would be 6th.

Danny benefitted a lot from the situation. All he really did was beat his teammate and gasly,
and Gasly also had some issues with the car, even though i don't have Gasly so high up my list at all.

If, and i know we're talking if's, but if things panned out 'normally', then Danny would have been P6,
followed by Gasly, and then Hulkenberg P8. Worse even, if you'd concider that if gasly's car would have
been trouble free, like it was the case with Ricciardo, then it's very, very, very probable that Gasly
ended up in front of Daniel, and Danny would have been p7 with the exact same lap.

last race he started 10th and finished 12th, whilst Hulkenberg started from the Pitlane and finished

All that talk and hyping about him being p4 is a very very tainted picture and blown out of proportions.

Just wait for the race, he'll be nowhere. And that's not because there's anything wrong with Daniel,
i think he's a fantastic driver and fast as bloody hell. But Renault isn't going to get him anywhere.
Again, realistically, his Qually position is P6, just 1 car between him and Hulkenberg, a solid driver,
but never a fantastic driver and one that is in a arguably more boring and boring phase of his career,

Sorry for being a negative nancy here but i don't see even remotely anything impressive.
Danny is miles and miles better than gasly, who had trouble during qually. That means in a RedBull,
Knowing he is not just at the same level of Max, who gets overhyped from time to time too,
but in many cases shown to beat him just as well, then i'd say that Danny would have been very much
able to go for P3 even in a RedBull, like Max might have managed had he not been at the wrong place at the wrong time due to poor decisionship.
Renault has not improved in 2019 anywhere near as much was expected. They have been very poor you are correct. But in Canada the Renault clearly made a step forward closer to the front. It is the closest Renault has been time wise .8 seconds since they have returned from what i recall. And France they have more updates coming.
The car does take time to fix. Ric only first drive the car in winter testing earlier this year in early February.
So any feedback and changes he wants take time. Supposedly France will have alot of updates.
Time will tell. Renault supposedly also increased their UK factory to 750 staff. So it takes time to start the results of all this extra input and renault factory/updates which were only just completed end of last year.
Also the new virtual chassis dynametre just came online a few months back.
But these things take time to see results.

Last year after Monaco Helmet made extremely negative statements saying Ric wants 20 million plus and he is not worth anywhere near this and he has no options and he over estimated his worth. Ric was being paid less than Vandoorne a slow rookie,
Ric the same guy who thrashed Vettel the 50 million driver. Yet Ric who thrashed the 4xWDC is not even worth a fraction of what they paid Vettel or even what Vandoorne got. When Hamilton also a young driver fully sponsored by Mclaren matched the 2XWDC Alonso they immediately in his second year gave him 30 million a year.
Ric who did not match but thrash the 4XWDC did not get any pay rise. But a 2 million complete rookie salary for years after this. Max was brought in from day 1 on a much bigger salary at only 17.
Helmut has made so many negative statements it is hard to keep up. From what Helmut has stated they initially offered Ric 10 million or less and number 2 to Verstappen.
So Ric looked elsewhere and signed with the rumour is 35 million at Renault.
Maybe after this redbull eventually came to the party and increased the offer but i think it was too late at this point as Ric had already signed and was just stalling i believe (who knows exactly).

Ric has 7 wins and i think 29 or so podiums. Staying at redbull this year might have netted a few podiums but so what. At the cost of 35 million. He still would not have won the championship and i doubt redbull will win it next year either. Plus Max i believe is by the fastest on the grid with Ric a very close second. Vettel is nowhere near the league of these drivers we saw this with Ric. So Ric would have a very tough time winning a championship in a redbull when Max is their golden boy. If you cannot win a championship then why not go where the money is.

Alonso on the other hand made a massive mistake. He was offered a 5 year 150 million plus deal, number 1 status with Kimi a very slow team mates there and i do believe Alonso would have won last year if he was at Ferrari.
Alonso should kick himself, he passed up the fastest or close to fastest car with a very slow number 2 team mate.
I call this the Golden F1 Trifecta. Top dollars, Top Car, Slow number 2 Teammate

bill shoe

Solid qualy, solid race, nice points haul for both cars. Best of the rest, easily. Here's the tough news-- both cars were still lapped. The front of the grid is still yonder.

Mclarensenna

bill shoe wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 05:06
Solid qualy, solid race, nice points haul for both cars. Best of the rest, easily. Here's the tough news-- both cars were still lapped. The front of the grid is still yonder.
yes the race pace gap is way too big still. In France supposedly they have a lot of updates coming which supposedly will make a difference according to the data Renault have.

PowerandtheGlory

Manoah2u wrote:
nokivasara wrote:

Canada Power track aside, the best car is the Merc. So far this year every win - MERC - granted Canada was lucky..
But if Ricciardo had stayed in Redbull - He might has been grabbing a few more 4th's and 5th's
He'd be being paid less, still working with Horner, Helmut and Max.. in a Honda which let's be honest is reliable- Yup ...... but Powerful - not yet? no wins

it would be another re-run of the last 2-3 seasons, Redbull are mad to think they are anywhere near a world champ... and no wins this year.. compared to last year with the other PU.... So where can he go to try to get a world championship?? Merc, Ferrari, SportIndia or whatever, Williams, Mclaren...????

Good on him for rolling the dice, He's now placed himself as a kind of no.1 in Renault, The car is improving, the power is arguably as good if not better than honda- for all their fanfare..
He is being paid a bit more, never a bad thing and he gets a new environment..

Gasly in his old team, it being openly blamed for causing the following redbull car to clip the wall, talk about Team spirit...!! Yuck... im glad he's out of that Toxic environment.

Ok, he was hoping for a drive with Merc or ferrari, and i admit i thought Ferrari would have been an amazing fit for him- but we know why he didnt end up in a MERC or Ferrari..

So are we blaming him for picking the only other drive out there, or should we be looking at how some drivers control the driver market..?

Blaming Daniel when other teams don't pick him on the grounds of upsetting their other driver.

Id love to see his pace vs Vettel and Hamilton in the same car.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

nokivasara

Manoah2u wrote:
nokivasara wrote:

Yep, I had all that covered, hence the "good result when the opportunity arises" in my post above.

Have a nice day!

Arunas

Regarding being lapped, everybody starting on reds were lapped, including RB on same strategy. SAI lost even points due to situation to have even longer second stint on white tires. Not sure VER clibing to 5th if in need to start on reds.

PowerandtheGlory

Does anybody know the upgrades planned for paul ricard? aero, mechanical, engine? Allez- Allez!!
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Ground Effect

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 13:45
Does anybody know the upgrades planned for paul ricard? aero, mechanical, engine? Allez- Allez!!
"We are committed by Paul Ricard to have all the problems and all the delays that have been hurting us at the start of the season sorted out," he explained.

"So what that means is the engine will be back at full power and even a bit more, and that should be available at Paul Ricard.

"We will also have a number of upgrades, quite substantial on the aerodynamic side. And last but not least, we will have a number of performance projects that have not been delivered on time, because of all the delays in the rest of the organisation, that will be delivered for Paul Ricard at the latest.

I have no idea what he means in the last part by performance projects, I guess that’s Cyril-Speak...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

djos

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
"In downforce we trust"

PowerandtheGlory

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 14:14
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
"We are committed by Paul Ricard to have all the problems and all the delays that have been hurting us at the start of the season sorted out," he explained.

"So what that means is the engine will be back at full power and even a bit more, and that should be available at Paul Ricard.

"We will also have a number of upgrades, quite substantial on the aerodynamic side. And last but not least, we will have a number of performance projects that have not been delivered on time, because of all the delays in the rest of the organisation, that will be delivered for Paul Ricard at the latest.

I have no idea what he means in the last part by performance projects, I guess that’s Cyril-Speak...

Why is part of me concerned that sticking on loads of new parts and seeing if they all work is a recipe for confusion... lets hope they already know what these will do and the car will still have good balance. Renault's understanding of the tyres has seen their pace much more consistent the past few races, while other teams haas fallen away.... :)

Ground Effect

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 16:06
Ground Effect wrote:
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

Why is part of me concerned that sticking on loads of new parts and seeing if they all work is a recipe for confusion... lets hope they already know what these will do and the car will still have good balance. Renault's understanding of the tyres has seen their pace much more consistent the past few races, while other teams haas fallen away.... :)
Well, if you take Canada as a case study,where they brought a some updates, you can only feel positive. I think Renault are getting to where they expected to be at the start of the season with the car and engine. It’s becoming clear that their reliability woes at the start of the season really put them on the back foot, but they are in full recovery mode now, and I’m worried for McLaren :D .
We have to admit, they did a good job sorting out the K, redesigning the conrod and making all this available across both teams, and have spares still, as Nico took extra elements in Barcelona for his pit lane start.
I find it interesting though, that during and after Montreal, there hasn’t been much chatter in the media over the strong performance of the engine. It seems Renault simply aren’t “big box office” enough, or sexy enough, like Red Bull Honda. I imagine, the French not regarded sexy enough... :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Ground Effect

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 17:18
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 16:06
Ground Effect wrote:

Well, if you take Canada as a case study,where they brought a some updates, you can only feel positive. I think Renault are getting to where they expected to be at the start of the season with the car and engine. It’s becoming clear that their reliability woes at the start of the season really put them on the back foot, but they are in full recovery mode now, and I’m worried for McLaren :D .
We have to admit, they did a good job sorting out the K, redesigning the conrod and making all this available across both teams, and have spares still, as Nico took extra elements in Barcelona for his pit lane start.
I find it interesting though, that during and after Montreal, there hasn’t been much chatter in the media over the strong performance of the engine. It seems Renault simply aren’t “big box office” enough, or sexy enough, like Red Bull Honda. Imagine, the French not regarded sexy enough... :lol:

hemichromis

Ground Effect wrote:
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

When did he say this?

He seems to be saying that the engine wasn't at full power in Canada.